Realese Date?

By MarkC2, in Rogue Trader

Does Rouge trader have a realese date yet?

At this year's GenCon, so in August.

Thanks

MDC

And because someone has to say it: No, Rouge Trader has no set release date. Rogue Trader, on the other hand side, will come out at GenCon.

Too bad. Playing a Rouge Trader would be so much fun... trading cosmetics all across the cosmos

Darth Smeg said:

Too bad. Playing a Rouge Trader would be so much fun... trading cosmetics all across the cosmos

Oooh! Yeah! Do you have anything in mauve nail polish? I need it to match my outfit and this to DIE for (read chaos) lipstick I just bought. partido_risa.gif

More seriously, we actually had a DH adventure where there was chaos/warp tainted cosmetics that were causing problems at a scholarum. Nice adventure with several red herrings and other little plot twists and a tie in to the main story line.

It's soooo much more than Rouge. There's moisurizer, hair products, a fragrance line, undergarments...

Hey, I've got a stupid thought....

I was looking at the pathetic offers (one of which is mine) to playtest. On one hand, the game is supposed to be out in 3-4 months so I figure they've got plenty of peeps and it's being playtested ad-nauseum already. Then on the other hand, I read the Designer's Diaries and I'm under the impression that vast swathes of the game haven't actually been written yet, so how could they have been playtested?

Are they going to give us a slapped-together product? Am I leaning toward Peacekeeper-b's assessment in that I'm not quite convinced the game is far enough along in development?

Designer diaries are teasers for the product and deliberately do not go into too much detail at this stage.

Currently our playtest groups are full, but thank you for your interest!

I figured that was the case, but hey, you never know. Like I said, 3-4 months out and Peacekeeper has a somewhat valid point about not being teased "enough".

Forgive us, Watson. We're just excited.

I Can't say I blame peacekeeper for his assesment, however; Do you really think Ross and the RT team would spell everything out for us about the new book coming out? No Surprises is what you want?

Come on now. Like I said before, they haven't screwed up yet, so I say we cut them some slack. Cuz just Like a woman, I love to be surpirised with RPG Goodness Ross and the crew will be offering in 3-4 months.

I tend toward cautious optimism, but a few things excite me incredibly so about Rogue Trader in general:

1. Ship to ship combat: A staple of the science fiction setting, having been overlooked in Dark Heresy. I mean, come on, what's not to love about being at the helm of a plasma cannon capable of bringing low dreadnought class cruisers? Also, the scale that this provides to an encounter is also pretty tantalizing. You could be blasting away one minute, crippling the enemy ship before boarding and securing the cargo. Avast!

2. Vehicle rules in general. Having been more or less overlooked, Rogue Trader seems to be a semi-expensive outlet for alot of things that wound up not getting a supplement or mention in Dark Heresy. To a degree, I understand. The nature of an Acolyte's job is to remain low key, and they generally function in an investigative role. But come on, at what point haven't you as a GM or as a player wanted to be involved in a high speed chase through hive streets and over open plains, manning a crankcannon mounted into a turret? Or better yet, be at the helm of a Leman Russ as the purgation team moves to crush the heretic stronghold?

3. Not so terribly grimdark. Dark Heresy in its name alone kind of suggests a brooding horror. While I enjoy it, my default response as a player is to approach it with a kind of cavalier attitude, shrugging and brandishing a saber to feel a little more confident. Having the opportunity to actually play a pirate, well... it lends a bit more veracity to my chosen method.

4. It's better for certain types of people. In what time I've spent with RPGs, I've never met a single person who wanted to or could be serious about it. Dark Heresy engenders a kind of grim, no-smiles-allowed atmosphere (apart from the hilariously worded injury tables. I still giggle like a four year old girl when I reference it). Most of the people I've know who've created characters for Dark Heresy end up making a personality with no place in the Inquisition. At least with Rogue Trader, everyone has an excuse to make a selfish, brash, thief/gunslinger/etc.

When did I become a rallying point saying the game wasnt even written or finished yet? I just said I havent really liked the Designer Diaries or felt excited about them.

Peacekeeper_b said:

When did I become a rallying point saying the game wasnt even written or finished yet? I just said I havent really liked the Designer Diaries or felt excited about them.

Well Peacekeeper_B I have seen you in many threads repeating that phrase a number of different ways. Perhaps that is the reason why, and while I agree with you on the designer diaries, I understand why they dont put forth more information. Its like the carrot in front of the horse or turtle to make it go forward.

Ranek7212 said:

Well Peacekeeper_B I have seen you in many threads repeating that phrase a number of different ways. Perhaps that is the reason why, and while I agree with you on the designer diaries, I understand why they dont put forth more information. Its like the carrot in front of the horse or turtle to make it go forward.

I have never said "They probably havent finished the game yet, which is why we dont get better diaries!" Ive said things like "doesnt look innovative to me" or "not really a update" or "this doesnt increase my interest". Im pretty sure they are pretty far along the process of havng the game complete and ready to go. But FFG, unlike BI, isnt really known for giving away previews quite the same way. Sure we got some for DotDG and CA, but nothing like the samples BI gave for DH initially.

So let me states this for the record I BELIEVE FFG IS WORKING HARD TO MAKE WHAT IS A GREAT AND GRAND NEW RPG BASED ON THE DH MECHANICS THAT ALREADY EXIST. IM PRETTY SURE THEY ARE HIP DEEP IN PLAYTESTING AND BELIEVE A VERSION OF THE GAME IS READY FOR FREE RPG DAY AND THE FINAL COPY WILL BE OUT FOR GENCON (THOUGH IT SHOULD BE RELEASED AT ORIGINS AS IT IS A BETTER CON).

Point noted. Sorry for the misunderstanding you.

Its ok, I just dont want people attributing the wrong kind of negativism on me. Im the other kind of negative!

IMO if they deal with starships as well as vehicle rules the book is well worth it. But I expect that there will be a dedicated starship book and vehicle book that has more bells and other good stuff.

MDC

My fault, Peacekeeper. I was improperly extrapolating.

But strictly speaking I think my problem with the Designer Diaries is that instead of being written in a "Here's what's coming!" tone, they're written in a "Here's what we're working on" tone, which in (unintentionally) slightly misleading. I don't want them to give away everything, but I guess instead I'm looking for certain assurances (regarding game mechanics) and not having to read between the lines too much, lest I come to the wrong conclusion.

At this point though, I'm confident it's going to be a good game. I'm sold. Soon as my local retailer has a firm release date I'm plopping down my money and reserving a copy.

Peacekeeper_B...the other kind of negative.

Made my day

I love you :D

Serialkilla said:

Peacekeeper_B...the other kind of negative.

Made my day

I love you :D

That made my day as well for some odd reason...

on the back of the Forsaken Bounty is stated that RT will be available August 2009.

that's pretty soon, eh?

FFG Ross Watson said:

Designer diaries are teasers for the product and deliberately do not go into too much detail at this stage.

Currently our playtest groups are full, but thank you for your interest!

Are you sure? I helped playtest d&d 3.5. Got my name in the book and everything. :D

Question from the uninitiated. I know the game is supposed to be availible at Gencon. For those of those that don't have buddies standing in line; how shortly thereafter will the actual books be in stores? Are there going to be enough printed so they don't 'sell out'?

rcsob657 said:

Are there going to be enough printed so they don't 'sell out'?

Hear, hear!

I'm curious about that too.

I cannot wait for this... I'm sending my friend to GenCon to pick me up a copy... its a shame there are no limited editions like DH.... I have 3 of those.

I live in europe, so i hope to become my copy as soon as possible in august.