First Run Critique

By mhuggies, in WFRP Gamemasters

Well technically the title of this is a bit misleading as I have now run WFRP a total of 4 times. My play group started out with A Day Late a Shilling Short and then led into An Eye for An Eye which we just completed yesterday.

I have to say that overall this game is GREAT! As a GM I thoroughly enjoyed the ease of running this one and the players got a huge deal of fun from the overall experience. I am a new comer to the Warhammer Fantasy world but an old hand at roleplaying in general as I have been running games from a variety of systems for over 30 years now.

I am rather sad to hear that FFG is no longer supporting the WFRP game, especially since I have just recently bought into it, but on that same note there appears to be enough material already produced to keep us all entertained for many years now.

I do think that the standards of this the 3rd edition of the game was so well done by FFG that it would be extremely difficult for another company to come along and take up the Warhammer license for a 4th edition. It would have to be extrordinary to compare to the 3rd edition version in my humble opinion. In comparison I would have to say it would be like Wizards of the Coast coming along and saying they are making a new version of D&D that is somehow going to be able to beat the standards set by Pathfinder. (Oh wait...I think they are going to try and do that with a D&D Next). Good luck with that.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to just state how great a game WFRP has on their hands with this system they have created and how much fun this old GM and his group of players had exploring the world so far. Can't wait to take it further!

Agreed! I've been running it for 4 years and still love it. There are lots of fan-mod rules floating around (e.g., opposed checks better using target stat -2 challenge dice etc.) but the engine of this game, the elegance of things like the critical wound system are all magnificent innovations.