Flamer location hit

By ciryon, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

Blast weapons is explicite on telling that location must be rolled separately for each target but there is no advice for flame weapons. Do I make random location hit like blast weapon or do I consider Body by default ?

I usually apply it to the area with the least AP.

If you are like me, you consider newer versions of the game erratas of the old rules. In DH 2 Beta v2, Flamers always hit the body and jam if any damage die is a natural '9'.

Alex

In most of the games flamers allways hit the body. Don't have my book to check though.

Thxs :-)

What about Righteous Fury with flamers ?

If you are like me, you consider newer versions of the game erratas of the old rules. In DH 2 Beta v2, Flamers always hit the body and jam if any damage die is a natural '9'.

Alex

In most of the games flamers allways hit the body. Don't have my book to check though.

Thxs :-)

What about Righteous Fury with flamers ?

I'd roll BS with applicable mods as the target number to trigger RF.

Usually its simply best to assume a weapon which does not reference a hit location will hit the largest mass area: The Body.

Usually its simply best to assume a weapon which does not reference a hit location will hit the largest mass area: The Body.

I just prefer the danger of "least armored location" as the flame will wash over you and damage the parts of the body most that are protected the least.

Both approaches are logical, so I can't invoke the Rule of Common Sense. What about an amalgamation of both: Damage to least armoured location, unless all locations are equally armoured. In that case body takes the damage as the location with the largest surface.

Both approaches are logical, so I can't invoke the Rule of Common Sense. What about an amalgamation of both: Damage to least armoured location, unless all locations are equally armoured. In that case body takes the damage as the location with the largest surface.

Makes sense, good idea. I think I was approaching it too much from an Astarte mechanical perspective, where certain areas of the armor pretty much always have lower AP.

Better yet, if you're going to do it that way.

The attack always hits the body, but uses the weakest armor rating. (More to do with the damage effects of fire (heat and burns) than actually "washing around" effect.) Where the heat and burn effects leak through weakened parts (joints etc.) of the armor.

Edited by herichimo

It depends on the opponent, really. From a human (or Astartes) viewpoint it stands to reason that the joints are the weakest part of the armour, but who can say anything for sure about the Tyranids or Eldar technology? For all we know, they might make the joints out of asbestos, and the wraithbone armour plate on the body overheats quicker than the joint itself, not to mention the faceplate / visor of their helmet :) I'd say it's at the GM's discretion, and might be modified for added flavour in case of especially inhuman xenos.

blargy blargo blarg.

Disregard that post behind the curtain.

Edited by herichimo

Most of the time a vehicle is both an unaware and helpless target in melee, what with the fact it can't fight back (walkers, open topped, and bikes are another story for obvious reasons).

That being said, Melee against a vehicle should never be, "I go up and punch its 12 foot of steel equivalent armor". Even with a power fist, you're not going to accomplish much. You need to be attacking specific parts of the tank, tearing off panels, cutting barrels, and trying to force your way into the tank to kill the juicy center. These attempts usually require strength tests (prying panels) and damage rolls against weaker parts on a tank (vision periscopes, exposed conduits, crew hatches, etc.).

Wrong thread?

Most of the time a vehicle is both an unaware and helpless target in melee, what with the fact it can't fight back (walkers, open topped, and bikes are another story for obvious reasons).

That being said, Melee against a vehicle should never be, "I go up and punch its 12 foot of steel equivalent armor". Even with a power fist, you're not going to accomplish much. You need to be attacking specific parts of the tank, tearing off panels, cutting barrels, and trying to force your way into the tank to kill the juicy center. These attempts usually require strength tests (prying panels) and damage rolls against weaker parts on a tank (vision periscopes, exposed conduits, crew hatches, etc.).

Wrong thread?

yeah probably.