Battletech LCG?

By pppalma, in Living Card Games

Do you think they'd double up on "Far Future Mechanized Warfare set in a Crapsack Universe?" Thus far all the LCGs have been pretty distinct from one another.

Edited by Grimwalker

I would love to see collaboration between Catalyst Game Labs and FFG. CGL could help build up and flesh out the RPG and Fiction areas at FFG and FFG could, FINALY, help CGL create miniatures that don't suck. The licenses held by both companies would compliment each other as well.

I would love to see collaboration between Catalyst Game Labs and FFG. CGL could help build up and flesh out the RPG and Fiction areas at FFG and FFG could, FINALY, help CGL create miniatures that don't suck. The licenses held by both companies would compliment each other as well.

Awesome

Many people looking for Battletech.

I'm so happy to see that.

There is a big resurgence in Battletech right now, both as a tabletop mixtures game and as one of the few sic fi IPs at the very top of a short list. SW, ST, 40K, and BT are a class unto themselves. I can't think of any other sci fi license that has touched multiple generations of fans the way these four have.

I still think CGL would be a good fit for Asmodee NA. There expertise in fiction and IP management along with there understanding of getting the most out of freelancers would be a plus to many of Asmodee's companies. The big issue is that all of CGLs IPs are licensed, mostly from Topps. Maybe Asmodee could pressure Topps to sell them the IPs.

Wow, old topic.

I never got to play much of the original Battletech tabletop game. I got into the universe thanks to the video games and novels. When the CCG released my group was big into Magic. I was the only one to ever buy any Battletech but I loved the mechanics. Especially the way resources worked. Even with terrible draws, I never felt like I couldn't do anything.

There were so many other great mechanics. Such as speed, attack zones, and the way construction worked.

I'd definitely be interested in a Battletech LCG (if done well) but I doubt it will happen since Catalyst Games currently holds the IP.

Catalyst Games currently holds the IP.

CGL has a license for the RPG and fiction. Topps owns the IP. Microsoft owns the digital IP. Iron Wind Metals has a license for mixtures but it is not exclusive. HareBrained Schemes has the license for digital games. Board game, card game, toy, and merchandising rights are currently available (as of summer 2016 licensing show)

I really hope that when FFG release Battletech again (in my dreams at least) stick to the core mechanics of the original, giving some flavor and art update only. (Make cards nice and easier to difference on clan from other, or from Support Cards)

I never got to play much of the original game but I was introduced to the universe through some of the video games and the novels caused me to start reading novels that weren't forced upon me by my teachers.

I'd happily support a Battletech LCG but I don't see it happening since Catalyst Labs has the license.

CGL may not have the license. Topps has the IP and had split the licenses between Iron Wind Metals, Wizkids, and CGL for quite a while. CGL has a card game engine, a good one as well, in their crossfire deck building system but, while developed for Shadowrun, it was just announced that the engine will be repurposed for D&D next and not Battletech. This could be only a financial decision or it could be restriction of license. I don't know.

What I do know is deck builders, LCGs, whatever you want to call the non-CCG system out there right now are growing. I can't wait to see where Isaac Vega takes Ashes now that he is under the ANA umbrella and hope that Ashes is brought into the FFD Organized Play system.

9 hours ago, Tekwych said:

CGL may not have the license. Topps has the IP and had split the licenses between Iron Wind Metals, Wizkids, and CGL for quite a while. CGL has a card game engine, a good one as well, in their crossfire deck building system but, while developed for Shadowrun, it was just announced that the engine will be repurposed for D&D next and not Battletech. This could be only a financial decision or it could be restriction of license. I don't know.

What I do know is deck builders, LCGs, whatever you want to call the non-CCG system out there right now are growing. I can't wait to see where Isaac Vega takes Ashes now that he is under the ANA umbrella and hope that Ashes is brought into the FFD Organized Play system.

Deck builders and LCGs are really quite different

Yes but they're are both growing while CCGs are declining. Well not declining but there is no market growth at the moment.

Big Fan of table top games since 80's (I feel really old now) Just like Die hard fanboy I had "Warhammer" blueprints hanging on my wall.

I played CCG in the 90's as alternative to L5R, Mutant Cronicles, Ani-Mayham & Magic.

Using new L5R LCG mechanics a Battletech LCG wold be dream come true.

True question what time period would we start?

1v1 or Multi player would guess be major battle in Successor State history. Each house woul be like L5R clans with each Unique clan only Mechs. (Steiner: Zeus, Laio: Vindicator, Davion: Valkyrie, Free world: Hermes, & Kurita: Dragon)

House Dropship (Stronghold)

Two decks

"Stockpile," (Dynasty)

Mechs, Characters/ Mechwarriors, fordifications, Logistics & Supply

"Conquest " (conflict)

Mech's primary weapons (Attachments) Support units (Areotech, Armor, Anti mech teams, & Dropship weapons) Commands (Alpha strike, Death from Above, Commander duels, Coolant truck & resupply). Political actions (Spies, local revolt, Comstar account, Underworld deals, & House traditions)

The dial used L5R resolutions can used on number of missles hit, extra card bids, command decisions .......

What does everyone else think?