Anima: UNICO - Online character generator

By William Where, in Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

Hello everyone.

After several months of work, I have almost ready the first version of Anima: UNICO, an online character generator for Anima: Beyond Fantasy.

It is based on the Core Exxet iteration of the rules (the most recent). It has a character server/repository.

http://animaunico.helechaloscuro.net/

I still consider this a beta release, but feel free to visit it, try it, and drop me a line if you see something wrong or something you'd like changed biggrin.gif

Edited by William Where

Some selections were broken by the recent changes (initial weapon, martial art, natural bonuses...). They are fine now.

Very nicely tuned. I like this, I can tell you put a lot of work into it. But I have a question... Is it possible that this will ever make it to an offline standalone program for character creation/archiving. Becuase I do not have access to the internet at all times and I would love to see this implemented in a way that both GMs and players can utilize at ALL times.

Very nicely tuned. I like this, I can tell you put a lot of work into it. But I have a question... Is it possible that this will ever make it to an offline standalone program for character creation/archiving. Becuase I do not have access to the internet at all times and I would love to see this implemented in a way that both GMs and players can utilize at ALL times.

It already is! You can save the webpage locally and access it offline and it will work (minus, obviousl, the access to the character server).

However, in the future I'll provide a downloadable package (that will be the same, anyway).

Awesome I look forward to seeing it released.

A nice update: now you can equip weapons, armors and helms and see their stats.

Status report: since my las visit here, I have added all this stuff to Anima: UNICO:

• Buy items +5 or -5
  • Invocations selection (from Core Exxet)
  • Elementalism specialization in summoning
  • Equipped armor now affect your skills
  • Ki Techniques are better shown in the sheet
  • Style modules from master's screen
  • Secondary abilities from Gaia 1
  • Ki techniques from Web Supplement 1
  • From Dominus Exxet: limits, style modules, némesis abilities, ki abilities, advantages
  • The possibility to buy MK and Path levels with DP (as per Arcana Exxet and Domnus Exxet)
  • And just now: random determination of nation of origin, city of origin, gender, name, social class, ethnicity, description and knwon languagues. Say goodbay to all those Donobans

Now that the holidays are coming, I hopw to continue at top speed.

Edited by William Where

You don't "need" the Gift for the Magic advantages. Like for if you are playing a Summoner. The Gift is not needed, but Magic Recovery and such would be useful.

You don't "need" the Gift for the Magic advantages. Like for if you are playing a Summoner. The Gift is not needed, but Magic Recovery and such would be useful.

Actually, you need it. That's why in Arcana Exxet there's a "lesser gift" advantage, more useful for summoners. You can't buy a magic advantage without the gift, you can't buy a psychic advantage without access to psychic powers.

Back from holidays with some Easter gifts for Anima: UNICO.

• Initial Funds, Social Class and Cultural Roots integrated with the origins from Gaïa 1.
  • Dominus Exxet: Blood Legacies, Ars Magnus and Martial Arts.
  • Arcana Exxet: Advantages, specialization in Invocations, and now you can raise Zeonic Regeneration without raising Magic Accumulation.
  • Prometheum Exxet: The Use Affinity Advantage and the three secondary abilities: Runes, Animism and Alchemy.

Next in my list, the races from TWWAU. LAter, or metamagic spheres or the update of ki effects and techniques from Dominus Exxet.

Enjoy!

Edited by William Where

Starting a series of posts in my blog about the making of Anima: UNICO:
http://helechaloscuro.net/blog/?p=167〈=en

Edited by William Where

Quick (but big for me) update: Ki techniques rules have been updated to match those in Dominus Exxet.

Sweet keep up the good work William

Awesome stuff, William! Thank you!

You've helped me find and fix three errors in my current character.

I eagerly await metamagic sphere and sub-paths. (Sorry if that sounded pushy. Just expressing a preference.)

They are coming. Initially I planned to to the books sequentially, but I decided it is better to implement features in importance order. So new spell paths and metamagic are coming soon. First, a little fix in equipment (to allow adding money or getting equipment free, specially after character creation), and then I'll start with Arcana Exxet.

I wish i could offer my help..... but I do not have much coding knowledge to be of any benifit... If there is anything i can help with william just let me know. Maybe I could help with cataloging all of the abilities and power descriptions? As from what I am seeing they are still in spanish.

Edited by Latoshi

Metamagic Spheres added. Enjoy.

Latoshi, I may contact you later. Thanks for the offer.

Good work!

William,

Can I ask what OS & browser you've been using the save function with? I haven't had any luck so far saving characters to my hard drive.

William,

Can I ask what OS & browser you've been using the save function with? I haven't had any luck so far saving characters to my hard drive.

My main browser is chrome, under windows. What seems to be the problem when saving?

I went through it again from scratch. Platform: Win7. Browser: Chrome.

Clicked on Start Creation, and set some of the fields (characteristics, name, dp)

Clicked on Save Character.

Clicked on Download as Text File; Nothing happened.

Right-clicked on Download as Text File and opened in new tab; it started a fresh character with a random name.

Clicked the Copy button, copied & pasted the text into notepad, saved as Tereza.animaUnico.

Tried to load the text file

Opened a new AnimaUnico tab and tried to load that file. Choose the file to load, but nothing happened. No error message, either.

Selected all and copied the text from notepad into the Carga box, then clicked Carga. Nothing happened. No error message, either.

As far as the copy/paste is concerned, maybe notepad is screwing up the text with carriage returns. I looked at Tereza.animaUnico in cygwin, and there are no surplus carriage returns.

$ wc Tereza.animaUnico
0 18 2000 Tereza.animaUnico
Saved to the Character Server.
I noticed that the text file was much smaller than the text on the Character Server, so I copied the text from the Character Server's "Tereza" into a text file Tereza2.animeUnico
$ wc Tereza2.animaUnico
0 339 37663 Tereza2.animaUnico
The Choose File option still doesn't successfully load the Tereza2, but now I can copy & paste the text from Tereza2.animeUnico into the Carga box and it loaded successfully.
-----

So in the end there is a roundabout way to do it: save to the character server, look at the file on the character server, copy/paste the text from there to a file, and then load it by copy/paste the text from the file to the Carga box.

I hope this helps. I hate to be too critical of free things, and I hope you find this detailed example helpful.

First, a big thanks for the detailed report. That really helps a lot.

Second: the "download" link is very poorly supported. It should work on chrome, but it does not work well. I plan to change it or remove it, and allow saving to server or by copy and paste.

Third: If you can send me the first.animaUnico file (to animaunico at helechaloscuro.net) I can debug them. I must confess I am not being very strict with the saving, and some of the new features may have broke that function until I add them.

Fourth: another thing you can try to see if something is failing (in chrome) is pressing Ctrl+Shift+i. That will open the web console. Any errors found when loading will appear there. But it will be easier if you send me the file.

You don't have to apologize for the criticism: it is totally valid. I'll fix this as soon as possible, but then again, I still consider Anima: UNICO a beta release but I am getting there...)

I have added magic sub-paths now.

Also, I have changed the "copy" button in the save dialog. It now opens a full window from which to copy with Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C.

Magic Theorems and Mental Patterns added. Also, some missing bonus for the Summoner.

Hey there, just wanna say that what you're doing is awesome and you're awesome for what you do bro. I just wanna say that we really appreciate what you do! ^w^