Who else is psyched?

By GlobeTrotting, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

I'm playing wait and see at this point. I'm very geeked, but I wan't to know more about gameplay.

Warhammer Diskwars is my current game of choice, but I have Invasion, and LotR LCG. I picked up CoC a long time ago, but have never found anyone to play with so that fizzled for me, though I personally love everything about it. It just doesn't seem to see the table enough.

Anyway, I love the 40k universe, I really want this to be good, but most likely I'll wait to see some reviews before I try it.

First Reaction - Great a 40K LCG.

Second Reaction - Oh no, no Tyranids.....

I understand that the Ally thing don't work with Tyranids - but they don't need any.. ;-)

But the Ally's they are possible also make no sense (like Imperial Guard and Orks).

I think, I will skip this one.....

I understand that the Ally thing don't work with Tyranids - but they don't need any.. ;-)

But the Ally's they are possible also make no sense (like Imperial Guard and Orks).

The Orks/Imperial Guard thing caught my attention too. But then I remembered something. I'm not sure what the current meta is like in 40k, but it used to be that many Ork tribes hired themselves out as mercenaries. I can't remember the name of the group off hand, but in my last ork codex, they were the ones that wore camouflage.

I think all of the other allies all make sense.

my favorite setting, and my favorite game format. I'm all in. Now I just need to get everybody else around me in as well.

The Orks/Imperial Guard thing caught my attention too. But then I remembered something. I'm not sure what the current meta is like in 40k, but it used to be that many Ork tribes hired themselves out as mercenaries. I can't remember the name of the group off hand, but in my last ork codex, they were the ones that wore camouflage.

I think all of the other allies all make sense.

Blood Axes is the name of that Clan. It's been like this since I started in to 40K with 2nd edition 22 years ago.

Orks don't care, they just wanna fight.

I'm in for all the LCGs, which is why I was a bit relieved when Warhammer Invasion was put to bed, because the expense was killing me! But I think we all knew they'd never stick to just five LCGs, and when I saw this yesterday I thought "oh good, it's 40k, I'm not so much of a fan".

But I had to read the article. And now I want it! Ach!

I'm in for all the LCGs, which is why I was a bit relieved when Warhammer Invasion was put to bed, because the expense was killing me! But I think we all knew they'd never stick to just five LCGs, and when I saw this yesterday I thought "oh good, it's 40k, I'm not so much of a fan".

But I had to read the article. And now I want it! Ach!

Well, starting a new LCG is less painful then an existing and old one like WHI or LOTR. At launch all you have available is the core set and once a month you get a $15 pack and twice a year a deluxe expansion.

What i'd love to see happen is FFG losing the small packs completely and go the deluxe expansions once every quarter. Lot of content every 3 months and once in the lot add 2 new factions.

But I don't think they'll do that since the small packs are bring the gold coins in their safe like mad.

I'd like to see that, too! Not just from a fiscal point of view, but I like to see some nice theme boxes crop up every quarter, much like Terror in Venice for Cthulhu recently. Sometimes the six-pack cycles seem to meander a bit, and they don't feel as-focused as a single box release can be. But that's just my opinion, of course!

I'd like to see that, too! Not just from a fiscal point of view, but I like to see some nice theme boxes crop up every quarter, much like Terror in Venice for Cthulhu recently. Sometimes the six-pack cycles seem to meander a bit, and they don't feel as-focused as a single box release can be. But that's just my opinion, of course!

Small packs ARE less focused, you're right about that. But if they could do what they did with Call of Cthulhu, i.e., some packs adding specific types of cards i'd buy that. For instance:

- Shifting Sands - Added a whole new set of Story Cards

- Conspiracies of Chaos, Touched by the Abyss and Lost Rites - Added faction-specific Conspiracy Cards

Maybe if they could lower the packs amount of cycles to let's say 4 but make them thematically awesome that would be nice. But I don't see FFG changing their formula of 6 packs/cycle just for Conquest.

I'm really not a fan of cycles as you can see. Warhammer Invasion had some packs more oriented toward X faction so to even the cards for everyone you had to buy all the cycle. Netrunner in it's competitive nature if you're a league or tourny player you have to buy everything. LOTR, I don't play much but being coop I think it have less of an impact. In Call of Cthulhu most of the great cards are in deluxe boxes which I find awesome. Plus those 4 small packs I mentionned above that add some more variety in the core gameplay (conspiracy and story cards) rather than boosting X faction is, correct me if i'm wrong, unique to CoC.

Edited by SolennelBern

Maybe if they could lower the packs amount of cycles to let's say 4 but make them thematically awesome that would be nice. But I don't see FFG changing their formula of 6 packs/cycle just for Conquest.

I'm really not a fan of cycles as you can see. Warhammer Invasion had some packs more oriented toward X faction so to even the cards for everyone you had to buy all the cycle. Netrunner in it's competitive nature if you're a league or tourny player you have to buy everything. LOTR, I don't play much but being coop I think it have less of an impact. In Call of Cthulhu most of the great cards are in deluxe boxes which I find awesome. Plus those 4 small packs I mentionned above that add some more variety in the core gameplay (conspiracy and story cards) rather than boosting X faction is, correct me if i'm wrong, unique to CoC.

I would LOVE if they released a big box expansion before any single small data pack. Just go all out crazy and with the card pool instead of small drips.

Star Wars promised 2 expansions shortly and after release, which never happened. They were delayed and came out like other big box expansions.

Apart of the slight concern about the final game rules and about the need of errata, I'll get this game.

Apart of the slight concern about the final game rules and about the need of errata, I'll get this game.

That is part of every LCGs from FFG :P

Or pretty much any game more complex than checkers.

yeah there isn't ANY cards games form any company that are not like that.

I really hope they bring some of that professionalism and dedication from Netrunner into this game because the number of erratad cards in other Nate French games are not very reassuring.

Edited by Rince

Star Wars also has no significant errata (it has 2 cards and 1 from the rulebook... all to fix a small misprint in the rules that made those 2 cards not work. Of course, the rulebook errata by itself fixes the problem so nobody is quite sure why the cards got an errata too...)

this is the best news ever... with this and doomtown, I am going to have to make some hard choices about ANR and Starwars (no way am I stopping CoC)

Doomtown? Did I miss something? Are you referring to the old game or a new edition? If there's a new edition of Doomtown coming out I'm in! Unless it's a CCG. The only reason I'm in Netrunner is because it's an LCG.

I would so be into the CoC LCG as well but the prospect of buying into the entire line and learning from scratch is daunting. coupled with my lack of time for A:NR as it is I decided to pass on CoC. Same reason for Warhammer LCG.

I'm all in for Warhammer:Conquest though. I hope it's better than Star wars LCG. I love Star wars too but I didn't like the way it plays and chose to focus on A:NR.

EDIT: I just found the info for Doomtown:reloaded! YAY! I still have the cards from back when so I'll be putting those in when possible as well!

Gencn is going to be busy this year! Force and Destiny beta (hopefully), Doomtown:reloaded, A:NR tournament and new release (probably), Warhammer:Conquest (probably). Time to start saving. :)

Edited by jaethe77

EDIT: I just found the info for Doomtown:reloaded! YAY! I still have the cards from back when so I'll be putting those in when possible as well!

Gencn is going to be busy this year! Force and Destiny beta (hopefully), Doomtown:reloaded, A:NR tournament and new release (probably), Warhammer:Conquest (probably). Time to start saving. :)

yeah man.. Doomtown!! Wow... pretty awesome :)

wow, just when I give up on FFG and think about burning my cards they pull this ****... **** yeah I am psyched!! This is such good news I simply can not wait!

"I love (Love!) netrunner. Compare coc with netrunner for me. Why do u love it more?"

Hugely greater deck building space than any other LCG due to the great freedom in mixing factions, which results in much more creativity in what you can make. The best resourcing system of any card game I've played - every card can be a resource as well so it's really hard to have bad draws and you can include more situational cards. Fantastic theme, although admittedly this is subjective. The game has a nice resource ramp that is absent in money-based games where both sides start with smaller cards and escalate over time. Also, it doesn't have the added luck factor that I find occasionally frustrating in Netrunner. I realize that Call of Cthulhu is less well known and doesn't have as large a community as Netrunner, but if you look around a surprising number of people who have long-term experience in multiple LCGs list Call of Cthulhu as their favorite, even those who are relatively new to the game having migrated there from Thrones or whatever. Bottom line, it's worth your time to check it out sometime if you get the chance.

Netrunner is still my second favorite LCG and the only other one I'm actively collecting at the moment, at least until 40K and Doomtown come out, then I may need to update my rankings :)

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention the brilliant system of having multiple struggles at every story so that you can split the spoils with your opponent. Am I willing to lose Terror and have a character go insane in order to win Arcane and block my opponent's character from re-readying in order that he has fewer defenses on my turn? Is it worth losing a character to win Investigation and get a success token? The evaluation of these sort of tradeoffs adds a richness over the simple win/lose struggles in most games.

"As far as I am concerned, Android Netrunner has no errata (at least balance-wise) or banned cards. I think there were one or two cards where the text was not crystal clear so they corrected that in the FAQ, but as far as balacce goes Netrunner is still near perfect.

I really hope they bring some of that professionalism and dedication from Netrunner into this game because the number of erratad cards in other Nate French games are not very reassuring."

You're comparing a new game still in it's infancy to games that are 8+ years old AND were migrated over from earlier CCG versions while simultaneously trying to invent a new type of card game model from scratch on the fly while doing it? Yes, it's possible that new games that didn't have to go through all this would benefit from many years of experience and a cleaner start in a now-established format. I'm not really sure that there is any evidence that the designers have anything to do with it, that seems to me to be a much smaller factor. Many of the errata for other games are purely clarification too. Anyway, you can be sure that more errata will come for Netrunner (and all LCGs) over time as more cards come out. That's just how things work. The bigger the pool the greater the number of ways that cards can be combined.

Edited by dboeren

netrunner has tons of errata and faq stuff already.. what are you talking about?

Netrunner has a decent FAQ, but almost no errata... Why do you think it has tons of errata?

It's all in how you spin it.

One side can claim that "oh, that's mostly just clarification and not actually errata" and have a point. It's also correct to say that in one year Netrunner has a 14 page FAQ and Call of Cthulhu is something like 8 years old and has a 26 page FAQ. A lot of errata for every game could be considered clarification. The significant different to me is whether it's clarification of something that was relatively clear already and only mistaken by beginners, or clarification of something that was frequently one wrong or required deep rules knowledge to decipher. And I'm not going to bother examining every single errata to try to classify them.

depends what you mean by errata. There is only one errata now, but they have completely changed some rules and added new ones as well as made cards so unclear that they practically need their own page in the faq.. those cards should be errated. I think the dead server rule is the biggest out of the blue rewrite from no where that is a good example of anr having the same problems as all card games. Trust me that game will have a fat faq in short order.. it is just new.. and when it is new it is nice and simple.

Man, I know I am. Yet another cheaper way to play 40k for me.