Hunters for the Black Cowl (post Enemy Within)

By valvorik, in WFRP Gamemasters

Another session up:

https://the-awkward-companions.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/taking-the-astarios

They continue travel south, thinking they are "moving away from trouble" - little knowing between 'unkept promises' coming back to haunt them and 'the unfolding plot of the unrevealed foe', trouble is with them and ahead of them and only behind them lie solutions.

Another session up

https://the-awkward-companions.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/back-into-the-jungle

The increasing shortness of breath effect is represented by large red poke chips which I use to represent long term fatigue not easily recovered. Usually only overnight rest suffices, but in this case not even that will suffice. In breaking their promise to the 'mummies' of the King and Queen they are suffering the fate they were spared - suffocation.

They have turned north, realizing their problem, in an effort to find the natives they need to meet. In choosing not to take any native hirelings with them when they strike out into jungle they have also left all native-speakers behind as well, which will make meeting the natives they look for a fun encounter.

Just started to read your blog on Obsidian Portal - love it. (Makes me think I should finish mine).

Thanks for the compliment. The more we all share reports and ideas the better!

I'm working now on next campaign and thinking about porting over some earlier edition stuff such as divine disfavour etc. for being a 'poorly played priest'.

Next and perhaps also the "next to last" session up

https://the-awkward-companions.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/visions-of-doom-and-plans-for-glory

One player did call some critters "bullywugs" and I fessed up and showed the old TSR module Dwellers of the Forbidden City (for once saving practically everything paid off) - turned out a couple had played it and never realized I partly based ruins on it.

I sometimes design for "failure is not an option" with "failure means the suckiest way to still be a hero", and that's pretty much where things have landed. On the other hand, rarely have any PC's been given such a chance to choose a glorious death for a great cause and they pretty much did "step up".

How it actually pans out that way we'll see, they have really bad luck sneaking around. By time of next session they may have come up with a better plan than "we all race to the control room, set off the destruction sequence and hope there's a countdown timer and we can run faster than the explosion.."

I'm not really a killer-GM, one reason I like the system is it supports tormenting PC's over killing them (crits, disease, insanity etc.- killing them means you can't hurt them anymore) but I am a "let chips fall" GM as in "choices matter" and "rolls matter".

Loved this:

"Well from there it’s a long trek through jungle with a story no one will believe about how they saved the world."

Very warhammery ending.

Do you already have thoughts what the next campaign will be about, or where it'll take place?

Edited by d6 Evil Men

Yes, the next campaign will be an unrelated group of PC's which Players are mostly done creating stat-wise, they just need to finish "background questions" that tie them to each other and to plot elements of the campaign to come, giving them a chance to create some such.

It will be centred in Averland (I did lots of work on Averland and like the southern Empire as a region for 'enemy within' and also Border Princes territory etc.), with the university town of Streissen as home base and the threats to and machinations within the southern empire being its focus.

It will start just after the Storm of Chaos ends, thus align with Sigmar's Heirs book though it will use "my storm of chaos"

https://the-awkward-companions.obsidianportal.com/wiki_pages/the-storm-of-chaos-2522-to-2523

This saves greenskins and undead etc. for "another time", adds the “Miracle of Auerswald” and uses 1st Edition's "Edit of Tolerance"

Though the campaign will focus on different issues, all events of my earlier ones are "canon" such as the Day of the Bell, the widespread belief that the Black Cowl was Luminary Mauer (who is still at large), a general folklore tradition in Averland that "elves are responsible when people vanish" (elves being so rare that they are always remembered by individual name when they appear) [something that spins from a Player's background creation in the last campaign that I ran with, that Player is rejoining table having moved back to Toronto].