Store Championship Results

By Rakky Wistol, in X-Wing

I'm surprised by how many winning lists have A-Wings. There are even some victorious TIE Interceptors out there.

Edited by Danthrax

FTW Games - Midlothian, VA - March 8th - Rebel Scum

2XORS

2X Gold with Ion

Seriously?!

That list is monstrous if flown well. Basically it could mean your opponent never get actions and may never get to attack.

I'm not denying it's got potential, it's just so far from the meta, I'm shocked anyone would play it.

I think it shows a great side of the game, that the meta doesn't rule all.

I'm surprised by how many winning lists have A-Wings. There are even some victorious TIE Interceptors out there.

It's because these store champs are typically small events. As for A wings, even if they get one shotted, they are typically not the point sink that an interceptor is, so they're more forgiving even if they roll poorly on defense.

And interceptors are down right scary until they whiff and get one shotted. Which they have a 5% of whiffing on the dice, which if they're attacked 5 times a game, over 3 games, that's only 54% chance of whiffing at least once. And in the mean time, they're rolling 3 attack dice blowing stuff up.

FTW Games - Midlothian, VA - March 8th - Rebel Scum

2XORS

2X Gold with Ion

Seriously?!

That list is monstrous if flown well. Basically it could mean your opponent never get actions and may never get to attack.

I'm not denying it's got potential, it's just so far from the meta, I'm shocked anyone would play it.

I think it shows a great side of the game, that the meta doesn't rule all.

Check out "Rebel Convoy" lists. We might see more of them considering the popularity of B-Wings. I think one placed in the top 8 at worlds.

Guardian Games Portland Oregon March 29th TBD

This makes me very happy. I just found out I can't make Rainy Day tournament this weekend and was hoping Guardian would have one!

Spiele-Pyramide, Karlsruhe, Germany: March 1st - Empire

5 x Academy

2 x Avenger

Updated again.

Good thing two imperial swarms just won... Rebellion almost doubled us up AND xwings were coming dangerously close to the same # of tie fighters.

Fun fact: Since there are almost twice as many rebel armies listed, and only 1/5 more tie fighters, there might end up being more xwings than ties if Imperial non-swarms start showing!

Do you have a sense for how much the Rebels' lead reflects what people are playing or just who's winning?

Just a correction. The Game Shoppe in Bellevue on March 8th had 36 players not 32.

Fixed a bunch of stuff today and last night.

As to Rebels: Early reports were showing that they were winning a lot of smaller events- that's why I started adding attendance where possible. It would be really nice to be able to "exclude" events with less than say 12 people. If we can get good attendance reporting, we can run those numbers... even rough estimates are better than nothing!

Right now the Rebels are winning big and small events. It feels like there have been a lot of imperial wins at small events as well...there are just so few imperial wins...

Edited by Rakky Wistol

My first off the wall thought is that there are likely fewer imperial squads that are competitive. The Tie Swarm is probably the most viable option. The issue is that if you want to play outside of the box, you have few options that turn out well. So when people try new obscure things, they don't see as much success. There are also just a lot more ships that are hit or miss based on dice and matchup (See Bombers and Interceptors). As long as you build a Rebel squad with 4 guns(3 in a YT squad), you can mix and match pilots and ships, and you have pretty good chances of success.

I still hold to it that in a timed game, Rebels have an advantage, solely because in a Rebel vs Rebel matchup, games rarely go to time, meaning SOMEONE gets a full win. In a Swarm vs Swarm matchup, NOT going to time is tough, obviously. So a good chunk of imperial squads that get mirror matches end in modified wins. This gives the Rebels a tournament advantage in 50% of the possible match ups (if they can win, of course).

There has been a lot of talk about the problems with modified wins... add timed matches to the conversation and I think we start seeing some of those results now.

This may change with wave 4 - and if the Tie Advanced would get a fix.

I agree right now there are too many popular rebel lists that could outperform squints and bomber lists with ease. So you have a high risk playing these. While 'you can't go wrong' with many X,B,Y-Wing lists.

Brookhurst Hobbies CA, March 15th

Gameology, Montclair, CA. March 15th

I wish they weren't on the same day because I'll be attending the Gameology store championship.

This may change with wave 4 - and if the Tie Advanced would get a fix.

I agree right now there are too many popular rebel lists that could outperform squints and bomber lists with ease. So you have a high risk playing these. While 'you can't go wrong' with many X,B,Y-Wing lists.

Hard to get variety when you're only able to field half your sides ships competitively (only 1 advanced and 1/2 the interceptors no Fett, no kath, only Omi shuttle).

I thought bombers would show up more but right now we have less bombers than interceptors (not that there are many of either).

Edited by Rakky Wistol

Are a disproportionate number of the people at any given event playing a rebel build though? I do agree those ships mix and match a lot more easily, even if not all those matches are necessarily the best combo. I almost took my 4 bomber list to a tournament, but it's far to susceptible to one bad missile roll or a discard secondary weapon crit (I got two of those in a row in the first turn of shooting on one guy) to make me feel good about it. Though one guy at that tourney did well with 3 bombers and Howlrunner. So then, and for my championship this Saturday it'll be swarm, which feels a tad unoriginal.

I wish they weren't on the same day because I'll be attending the Gameology store championship.

Yeah that's to bad, on the 22nd there's a tournament at Dice House Games (Fullerton) and Majestix CCG (Costa Mesa) but I don't think i can attend ether, just wanted to let you know.

Yeah that's to bad, on the 22nd there's a tournament at Dice House Games (Fullerton) and Majestix CCG (Costa Mesa) but I don't think i can attend ether, just wanted to let you know.

Dice House is 10 mins from my house. I'll be there for sure.

Here's one more for your statistics that happened back on Feb 14.

4Plus Omaha, NE

I won with dual falcons

Chewie and Lando EH and gunner on both.

20 participants

Edited by LegionThree

sounds like u need a squad that does well against rebels and cross ur fingers u get those matchups.

im surprised there seem to b so many falcon/double falcon lists winning these events - is this because its getting played more often than other rebel squads?

People do love there falcons! I do see lot's of people like to easily be able to get two three dice attacks off on the same ship most rounds.

Done right its just a really annoying build to fight. At 4 plus I was the only double falcon list. And I think that maybe two more were fielded in total. The 360 arc is so strong. As long as you can wiggle your way out of arc it doesn't matter which way you went because 99% of the time you still get a shot.

Edited by LegionThree

WE NEED ATTENDANCE NUMBERS...Even rough estimates if you have them.

--- Empire: 17 ---------- Rebellion: 29 --- (but the rebels, it has been confirmed, are cheating)------

*Gamer Apocalypse, Orange Park, FL:March 1 - Rebel {heroes}

Roark+Ion Turret+Recon Spec, Dagger+Adv Sensors, Red Squadron x2

6 players total, 2 Imperial and 4 Rebel. Imps were 5th and 6th

I'm running the Empire Games store championship this weekend in Mesa, AZ - I will do my best to track the factions so as to add to the data pool. Lots of strong predominantly Imperial players locally so hopefully we can help the cause of order and justice.