Final Sanction Adjustments

By scipio83, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

Just a couple of questions for more experience folks:

1) 8 genestealers in the governor's mansion? For a kill-team of 4? Is it just me, or does this seem like overkill for one encounter (especially when other parts of the document mention "not having more than 1 genestealer per marine" in order to avoid a TPK). When I did this encounter with my crew, I had two genestealers run off after the governor, and 2 more just eviscerate guests for a round or two, but it was STILL a very close thing.

2) The "hit-and-run" attacks that the genestealers make in the Promethium works, underground, etc. What's the best way to run this? It seems kind of brutal (and time-consuming) to have reset initiative and have everyone re-roll awareness tests after genestealers fall back and come from another angle, but that seems to be the implied tactic here. How have other folks handled this?

Related question: I have a techmarine player with an auspex. Since he can read "life signs" I let him register "blips" (i.e. a close approximate of the number of foes in the area) and give his +20 awareness bonus to the rest of his squad, but still had them roll awareness tests to spot the genestealers. Is this too much? Too little?

Really, any advice on the final part of this adventure would be helpful.

1. Yes, overkill.

2. That's how it goes. The idea is to provide some tension. What's the problem with it being more time-consuming? Unless your players have an attitude to battles a la "Oh, well, let's get it behind us, I wanna kill the boss and get my XP." The kill-team has to defeat a clever and dangerous enemy here who denies them a straight fight. Fire For Effect is strongly recommended. Can the kill-team overcome this tactic or will the Genestealers pick off the marines one-by-one?

Make it tough (machinery interfering with the auspex) to spot the Genestealers. If 2 or 3 marines spot a Genestealer about to attack, that Genestealer is probably done. The point of the encounter is to force the players to come up with some clever counter-tactics or use of abilities/gear. Start to punish them if they don't and be easy on them once they do.

Alex

I think that using an auspex still requires an Awareness roll.

You're getting a string of data that you have to interpret, not blips on a radar screen.