Auto sanguine vs. Hardy talents

By Shambhalawar, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

Hello brothers,

I am new to DW and this is my first game as GM. I wanted clarification on the difference between the auto sanguine and hardy talents. Can someone please explain the difference?

Thanks!

Functionally, not a lot on first glance. However I was reading this thread:

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/39877-techmarine-questions/

...which commented that since Auto sanguine is basically machines/nanotech restoring your body, a particularly cunning GM may use something to disrupt machines whereas Hardy would not be affected.

Additionally comments on this thread:

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/68494-an-end-to-healing-confusion/

Suggest that autosanguine applies to the natural bodily healing process where you count as lightly wounded for that (regaining 2 wounds per day rather than per week/month at critical damage) while Hardy applies for medical treatment such as by apothecaries healing you in battle.

Edited by Calgor Grim

Thanks Clagor,

I tend to lean toward the second interpretation, that makes the most sense to me. I have another question if you would be so kind to answer.

Say my character takes has 20 wounds, he takes 22 damage, leaving him with 0 wounds and 2 points of critical damage. He is healed by first aid for 10, does this mean he now has 10 treated but unhealed wounds, 10 healed wounds, and 2 points of critical damage?

So for him to take anymore critical damage he would have to be attack for more than 10 damage. For example if he took 11 more damage he would be back to 0 wounds and 3 points of critical damage? Basically adding on any extra damage past the wound threshold to the already accumulated critical damage?

Thanks in advance :)

Gah, making me think now. I usually house rule healing and give them a bunch of wounds back at the end of each session depending how it ends. :)

From how I read it, being forced to think how to do it proper, I would agree with that assessment. The -2 Crit doesn't go away without extended care.

Edited by Calgor Grim

Seems reasonable to me that someone could heal back through the wound threshold thing and still have some maintain critical damage.

Do you think you would have the core rules mean you have to heal each point of critical damage before you can start healing back through the wound threshold?

I was reading the other thread you linked and my god it is confusing xD. Im not sure why they made the system so difficult to interpret. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to also hear you basic interpretation of healing?

Thanks,

I look at it this way:

Say someone delivers a heavy smash to your leg with a sword. It breaks your shin bone through impact and causes severe bleeding as the skin breaks and tears.

The leg break is the -2 Critical Damage

The bleeding leg is normal damage.

Now you can easily patch up the leg wound to stop the bleeding meaning you can probably be hit again in the leg without worrying about bleeding out, so you get wounds back but you still have a broken leg to contend with. That wont go away without months (or weeks if you're an Astartes) of rest.

Edited by Calgor Grim

Extended care says you start to heal critical damage first. I look at healing this way: using first aid, the Apothecary heals what he can, and stabilises the rest, meaning the critical damage won't get worse. Our SM can then shoot himself up with some battle drugs to ignore the effects when in a pinch. When playing out extended care, the medic will take care of the serious stuff first, starting the healing at the crit.

And, while it's not relevant to Healing, don't forget that SMs have True Grit (Core, p. 36 & 128), halving critical damage, and, when in Power Armour, may use the Bio-Monitor & Injectors (p. 161), ignoring critical damage for 6 times, each for d10 rounds.

Medicae is complicated when you take into consideration talents, traits, and equipment which modify healing.

The previous example with the 2 critical wounds may not necessarily be restricted to extended care.

If said marine had a TB of 10 and only 28 wounds for instance an apothecary with a netharcium (treats space marines as lightly wounded up to 3xTB) would treat that marine as if he was lightly wounded. If the marine took 1 more point of critical though he would go straight to critically wounded for the apothecary (netharcium only modifies lightly wounded threshold, not heavy).

In the same example, the apothecary heals the marine for 12 points of damage. The marine goes up to 10 wounds (healing 2 crit wounds and 10 wounds counting as light due to netharcium), and may not recieve the benefits from first aid again until he naturally heals his wounds. If the marine does not personally have a talent which modifies his wound threshold (netharcium mod only affects first aid) then he follows the normal rules for healing. If the marine in the example above would have been healed for only 8 wounds, for instance, he would be heavily wounded, healing 1 damage/week until he healed the 1 wound to move to lightly wounded.

I would rule the autosanguine and hardy talents only affect personal healing rates. They have no effect on another person's ability to use a suture needle and bone saw.

As for "Critical Damage" and healing (specifically fate point healing) this refers to the critical effects from the critical table, not the "critical wounds". A marine dropped to 3 crit and gets a -20 skill penalty (just random example) can use fate points to heal his wounds (healing the full d10 amount, its a fate point), but he must still suffer the -20 skill penalty for the full duration, even though he is no longer into critical wounds. Same goes for popped eyeballs, blown off limbs, or blood loss (warp weapons).