spell locking the last die to complete the last task?

By mrtopaz, in Elder Sign

Hello! I've read through the rules, the FAQ, looked through this forum

but I can´t find an answer. I might have missed it somewhere.. or I'm using

the wrong keywords..

but, the scenario i'm unclear with is:

you have rolled and completed a task, you have ONE die left. and that die just happen to have

landed on what you need to complete the last task on that card.

can you then lock that die with a spell to immediately complete that last task ?

Yes. Just curious, did you read something that made it seem you would not be able to?

no not really.. I just thought it might not technically count because you did not conjure glyphs for that last task and therefore it did not count as an attempt at all

Edited by mrtopaz

mrtopaz,

I've played over 50 games and have contributed to a number of rules' interpretations, so please help me understand what you're asking? While jkl620 understood it, please clarify.

The reason I ask is because if you require the die for the task, why would use the Spell to hold it...instead of just using it? One strategy is to use the Spell after you've completed all of the tasks, but have a die or dice to roll. In this case, you have greater options to roll a Peril or Terror and hold it for a fellow Investigator.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,

I guess the question was this one: let's say I'm resolving the penultimate task on the adventure. The last task requires only one die, and after resolving the penultimate task I have only one die left in the pool. Normally, I should take that die, roll it, and see if I'm able to complete the last task.

But in case while resolving the penultimate task, I score with the "unused" die the result I need to complete the last task, am I allowed to put that die on a spell, go to the last task with zero dice left to roll and use the die on the spell to pass the task?

And the answer is yes, since the failing condition for an adventure is triggered when you don't have any more dice to use to resolve a task, but it's not said anywhere that you need dice to roll when attempting the task.

Hope this helps

JULIA

The example is "Something has Broken Free" It has two tasks. One is two terror icons. The other is one peril icon. You have three dice left in your dice pool and roll two terror and a peril. You are only allowed to complete on task per roll. The question was can you place the two terror on the card to complete the one task for the roll and then use a spell to secure the peril icon and immediately use it to complete the other task.

edit- oops, looks like I am a slow typer :)

Edited by jkl620

Julia/jkl620,

Got it! It was the wording of the OP's post that initially confused me. Yes, by all means you may utilize a Spell to hold that last die for the final task. Thank you both.

Cheers/Ciao,

Joe

So effectively do you count as rolling it even though you know what the result is (due to it being locked) ?

Phototoxin,

Yes, in essence that's correct and Julia and I are of the same mind on this one. You need not roll any dice...as long as there's one out there on a Spell to satisfy the requirement of a final Task .

Cheers,

Joe

I know folks always say you shouldn't treat them as being the same (and they aren't 100%), but the ES: Omens app makes you 're-roll' in order to finish the final task even if you're down to one die and have it saved on a spell- the result simply doesn't change.

I concur with everyone else, regardless- you can save your last die on a spell and use it for a final task. You don't technically roll it, but it's a legitimate (and smart) tactic, if you're lucky enough in your rolls. That's exactly what spells are for.

mrtopaz,

I've played over 50 games and have contributed to a number of rules' interpretations, so please help me understand what you're asking? While jkl620 understood it, please clarify.

The reason I ask is because if you require the die for the task, why would use the Spell to hold it...instead of just using it? One strategy is to use the Spell after you've completed all of the tasks, but have a die or dice to roll. In this case, you have greater options to roll a Peril or Terror and hold it for a fellow Investigator.

Cheers,

Joe

Sorry Joe but I just gotta' know. How can you complete 50 games of Elder Sign and NOT know that you can use a spell to DISpell terror? Also the reason you would use a spell to hold it is that, unless I'm mistaken here I'm no Professor and I've not played as much, you can't complete two tasks in a single roll unless you're using The Student.

If you're a major interpreter of rules here i guess that helps explain all the questions.....

Hello! I've read through the rules, the FAQ, looked through this forum

but I can´t find an answer. I might have missed it somewhere.. or I'm using

the wrong keywords..

but, the scenario i'm unclear with is:

you have rolled and completed a task, you have ONE die left. and that die just happen to have

landed on what you need to complete the last task on that card.

can you then lock that die with a spell to immediately complete that last task ?

Yes although technically it is not immediate. It is on your next roll that's why the app works differently because according to the rules you can only complete one task per roll unless you're using The Student. This question is also answered not in an FAQ but the basic rules.

mrtopaz,

Cheers,

Joe

Sorry Joe but I just gotta' know. How can you complete 50 games of Elder Sign and NOT know that you can use a spell to DISpell terror? Also the reason you would use a spell to hold it is that, unless I'm mistaken here I'm no Professor and I've not played as much, you can't complete two tasks in a single roll unless you're using The Student.

If you're a major interpreter of rules here i guess that helps explain all the questions.....

xodarap,

Greetings! I'm unsure what you're saying as you can't use a Spell to DISpell anything...with regard to OP inquiry, he had asked about using a Spell in a way curious to me. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Joe