Some questions

By The Death, in Runewars

Hello,

I have some questions about the game! would be very grateful if you help me to solve this doubts.

1) What would happen if for example Uthuk attacks Undead. 2 berzerkers vs 1 necromant. Uthuk deals 2 damage and the necromancer has a orb result. Sincé Uthuk are de attacking player their abilities are resolved first, the question is, would they only kill the necromancer, since he is the only unit present when resolving berzerkers abilities and then would reanimates appear? or would they kill 1 necromancer and 1 reanimate?

2) The other question comes from a game we had the other day. Attacker player plays to the winner, defending player plays tactical retreat, canceling the battle. Is the attacker tactic card lost? since there where no winners do to the battle being canceled? Question here is, does all the battle cards played by the attacking player at the beggining of the battle are lost if defender plays tactical retreat?

3) This is a question regarding exploration tokens. Some of them are destructible locations, the manual says that they can be discarded by a player who controls the área with at least 6 units. If a player controls the área with 6 units and is attacked, can he inmediately destroy the rune tooken? since the manual don't specify if you have to destroy it in your turn but only states that you can discard it.

Now some questions about héroes and rewards,

4) Steelhorns and brother gherinn have abilities that can damage them at the beggining of a duel, can they benefit inmediately from the rewards ghost armor, amulet of shielding or runeplate?

5) Tatianna and brother gherin have abilities that triggers with a grey result, what would happen if they draw a Golden result? would their abilities trigger?

6) Grey Ker, when he starts a duel in an enemy territory and draws a Golden result, he kills an enemy unit in theis héroes área, who chooses the unit? grey ker player or the owner of the units?

7) more grey ker, if he duels in an enemy territory against a hero from a different enemy, does he still slays an enemy unit? I would think that yes but just to check.

8) Tobin farslayer, if an enemy attacks with units and héroes and losses, can tobin farslayer target an enemy hero when retreating?

9) more tobin farslayer, What would happen if an enemy player from tobin farslayer plays the tactic card valor of héroes, making the héroes count as circle units, if they get routed in battle can tobin destroy one of them?

Thanks a lot

1) Only the Necromancer is killed; the Reanimates aren't on the board yet. Like you said, the Attacker's orbs are resolved first. The defender's Orb is still resolved (and the ability doesn't require the Necromancer to be "standing" at the time of resolution, so the Reanimates will still be added), but not until after the damage is done.

2) The attacking player is still considered to have won the battle (and the defender to have lost); he just doesn't rout his retreating units. So "To the Winner" would still apply.

3) The Destructable Locations are: Dragon Throne, Village, and Magic Portal. The rules on page 37 for each of these specific locations all say "A player controlling this area with at least six units during his turn may discard this token." So if you are attacked by another player, you cannot destroy them before the attack. (The rule "during his turn" isn't in the general description before the location information, but is found in all 3 of those location rule texts).

4) I would say yes - it's part of the duel. However, Dragon Scale Mail I might say wouldn't, because it says "this round", and the start-of-duel stuff isn't part of a round.

5) No, a gold result is not a grey result. Just like with Diplomacy, if you pull a single card and it's Gold, you can't choose to do the grey result instead (or the red result).

6) The Grey Ker player chooses, as it is instructing the player who controls Grey Ker to do it.

7) Yes.

8) Yes.

9) While I can see the justification for this, and I don't know if anyone has gotten an "official" ruling on this, I'm pretty certain if asked, the answer would be "no, Tobin can't kill Heroes this way, even with Valor of Heroes".

I may submit some of these to Corey to get "official" confirmation, and update the document I've been keeping (which still has some things I need to add anyway).

Thanks a lot!!!

I have your document printed and use it to solve doubts when playing! its inside my runewars box all the time!!!!

You rock man!!!!!

Best regards!!!

Hi to everyone! I have some more questions, we really play a lot and sometimes we come with situations that I check here in order to play in the best posible way

10) If a player plays rally support and has his suppremacy bonus. What would happen if he want a hero but have no stronghold? Is he allowed to put it somewhere else, does he losses the influence he paid (if he pays), does he receive the hero but is only allowed to put it in a stronghold when he builds one?

11) question about commanders, if they are defeated, do you lose his commande card? does it goes to a commander card discard pile ? or do you keep it until you promote a new hero?

thanks a lot

10) If you don't have a stronghold in which to place the hero, you can't recruit a hero, so don't bother spending any influence because it would just be wasted. You are probably in a somewhat bad position if you have no Strongholds left, so you should probably consider a Fortify order ASAP!

11) Yes, if the commander is defeated, the Commander card associated with him is discarded. Whenever you get a new commander, you would draw a new card for that new hero.

Thanks a lot Sigmazero, I have some aditional questions!!! you are really helping me out!!!

12) Question about Trial of Zorek quest card. When the hero arrives to the área, does he receives training in each atribute and a reward? or he first have to train each attribute to later receiving a reward?

13) Another question for Trial of Zorek, can the winner of the bet pick a commander? I would think not since commander cant quest, but just to check.

14) Question of quest cards, can you do a quest card in the middle of your movement? for example, Hero1 moves 1 space, attempts quest, wins reward and then moves his second space?

15) Question about exploration tokkens, When a hero moves during the quest phase, does he reveals every exploration token which he passes throught or only the one where he finishes his movement? We currently play only revealing the exploration tokken where we end movement but wanted to check.

16) Question about desert of Y'llan: When playing the card Summer Drought before resolving a summer season card, do you place a desolation token?

17) Question about influence/tactic cards: I would say that the answe is no, but you cant give another player tactic cards (or trade them) and influence right? only by means of cards that say so?

Thanks again for helping me!!!!

12) He trains the attributes for free, it's basically part of the "reward" for completing the quest.

13) No, it cannot be a commander, since commanders are not allowed to do quests.

14) No, if you do a move/quest action with your hero, you must finish your movement (including resolving any exploration tokens) before attempting the quest. Once you begin to attempt the quest, the movement part is done.

15) You only reveal the exploration token when finished with your movement, so tokens that are in areas you pass through are ignored. (Also note with the Revised edition, you don't reveal Exploration Tokens if you move outside the Quest Phase, either). However, keep in mind that already-revealed Dungeon tokens WILL force the hero to stop moving during the quest phase.

16) Hmm, that's a good question. I think a literal reading of everything would indicate "no", because you aren't revealing a Drought or Famine season card (even though the tactics card has a similar effect). This could be an interesting one to ask for an official answer, though. I'll put it in my list-of-questions.

17) No, you cannot give cards, influence, or anything else to another player, unless a game effect specifically allows you to do so.

Got some answers from Corey:

#4 - Yes, even self-inflicted damage can be blocked with those rewards.

#8 - No, Tobin cannot auto-kill a retreating hero, even if Valor of Heroes was used.

#16 - No, only the actual Drought and Famine season cards trigger the Deserts; the Tactics card does not, even though it causes a similar effect to Drought.

Got some answers from Corey:

#4 - Yes, even self-inflicted damage can be blocked with those rewards.

#8 - No, Tobin cannot auto-kill a retreating hero, even if Valor of Heroes was used.

#16 - No, only the actual Drought and Famine season cards trigger the Deserts; the Tactics card does not, even though it causes a similar effect to Drought.

That's good to know. I haven't come across very many situations where "Deserts of Y'llan" is a worthwhile purchase. I guess I just need to play more.

Honestly, I think Deserts of Y'llan would be more useful in games if a Desolation token appears on the map before you buy it. When you get it, you still have to place one near your home, but then you just start spreading it out from the other one.

Thanks a los Sigmazero, Its fun to point that you could ruin a drought summer card with a drought tactic card and Uthuk would not receive the tokken.

As usual I have played a lot and have come with even more questions!!!

18) Sir Valadir. I was playing with Sir Valadir as a general, and we had a doubt. If he ends up in a territory with an activation tokken in spring, then train in summer, can he move because of his ability? we ruled that no, but wanted to check you valuable opinión.

19) Question about damaging strongholds, I am not sure If we are doing this right, we always play that if you attack a Stronghold and there are no survivors the stronghold remain undamaged. In that line, what would happen if there are no survivors but an enemy was forced to retreat in the middle (with sorcerers ability) would the stronghold be damaged?

20) Question about eliminating factions. We where playing a game the other day and the Uthik where defeated, they only had 2 territories in their home realms and no resources to build fortress. The player the left the game, what happens to their héroes? do they leave inmediately? or they leave when there are no territories left?

Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot!!!

Thanks a los Sigmazero, Its fun to point that you could ruin a drought summer card with a drought tactic card and Uthuk would not receive the tokken.

Hmm, I'm not so sure. The Deserts of Y'llan card says "whenever a Drought or Famine card is revealed". The Summer Drought card doesn't change the "name" of the season card, it just changes the primary ability, so if Drought came up, the Deserts of Y'llan would still trigger, even if you "replace" the effect of the Drought.

Anyway, regarding the questions:

18) Yes, he actually can. Activation tokens don't affect heroes (except commanders), and moving in the Spring doesn't prevent a hero from moving later. This includes Sir Valadir's special ability.

19) If you attack the stronghold, it will always be damaged, regardless of whether you wipe them out or not. That represents that during the battle, the siege on the stronghold caused damage to the fortress itself. Thus, even if you wipe out the other player, when you take control of the stronghold, it will be damaged. The only way to take an enemy stronghold and keep it at full strength is if they played the Tactical Retreat card.

20) A player is not eliminated unless he loses control of ALL his areas. If this happens, his heroes are removed from the board. If he still controls two areas, he is not eliminated yet, even if he doesn't have the resources to build a new stronghold or units. Also, if the player IS eliminated, all his Tactics, Quest, and Reward cards are shuffled back into the decks, and his Title cards are put back in the middle (but they keep whatever influence they had on them). This is found on page 31 of the rules (in both editions).

Totally true your comment about drought!!! makes a lot of sense!

In question 18 what would happen is he is activated in spring and is a commander? would his ability rule over the activation tokken or would he not be able to move?

Best regards and Thanks!

Since the Sir Valadir ability doesn't specifically trump the "commanders can't move out of activated areas" rule, I would say no. He could still heal, however.

Hi to all, have played lots of games since the last time I asked questions and we came with some more!

21) Tactical retreat and summon lightning: We had a situation in which a player played summon lightning and then Tactical retreat. Since both cards are played at the beggining of a battle is it possible to do so? or since tactical retreat cancels the battle it shouldn't be combined with summon lightning?

22) question about the last faq: I was reading yesterday the last version of the faq and saw that during the quest phase, if a hero dies (not by dueling) the other heroes cannot pick the rewards of the fallen heroes (during quest phase). You have to wait for your turn and move the hero to the territory where the hero died. What would happen if a hero has 1 hp left and Krutzbek moves to his area, killing the hero with his ability, would he be able to pick the rewards or should he wait for the turn of his controlling player to do so?

23) Question about challara: If challara uses her ability and duels an enemy hero killing him, would seh receive the fallen hero rewards or would they fall in the area where the hero died (adjacent to the space where challara is).

24) Question about Krutzbek: If krutzbek ends his turn in an area with more than one enemy hero, does his ability damages all of them or must he choose one?

25) Other question about the faq: I was reading that you cannot play the same tactic card at the same time during a battle (for example playing 2 summon lightning cards or 2 rally cries), in the case of summon lightning, since it is played at the start of a battle this would mean that only one can be played, but for example in the case of rally cry, can you play one in initiative 2, and one in initiative 4? since it is not at the same time?

26) Question about flesh reapers, the development card allows you to rout any number of flesh reapers at the start of a battle to do 1 damage for each flesh reaper routed, can you then play rally cry and do the ability again?

27) Question about Ice storm, is it valid to play a mobilize card to an enemy territory taking first the hero, play ice storm routing enemies equal to the hero's wisdom and then move the rest of the units to start a battle? or should the hero be before the movement in the area to use his reward?

28) Question about the quest where you duel two sorcerers: In that quest, when sorcerers receive an orb result, must he use his special ability or can the controlling player choose to do 1 damage instead?

29) question about the magic portal exploration token: If I pay 1 influence to move through the portal and attack the area where I landed, if I have an empty area adjacent to the place I just conquered can I retreat there? or must I pay 1 influence to retreat to the place I came? I would think that you can move to the empty area since this is similar to retreating into an area with water or mountains, but just wan't to check.

30) question about autumm secondary ability: When determining the order in which you receive influence/tactic card, is it defined by players order (first the first player who was the first to choose factions, then the second, etc.) or is it defined by the card played in the most recent summer?

I hope you can help me with this questions! thanks a lot!

21) The way I would interpret it is that the battle isn't completely canceled until Tactical Retreat is resolved, so the defender could choose which order to play them in, and play Summon Lightning before Tactical Retreat. However, I'll try to get clarification on this.

22) Since the ability killing the hero is not a duel, he would have to wait until the player's turn to pick up the rewards.

23) I'll try to get clarification on this, but I would say if she's not in the dead hero's area, she doesn't get the rewards.

24) I'll get clarification on this as well, but I am pretty sure it's intended to only be one hero.

25) As long as it's not at the same time, I think you're good. Two different rounds of combat is two different "trigger times". A large reason for this restriction was to prevent two copies of Pillage from being played at the same time, but I think the intent was to not try and restrict other cards too much, if it's possible to play them at different times.

26) I would say no, that you can only use the ability once per flesh ripper, even if it stands up.

27) This is a good question. I would probably say yes; the battle doesn't start until you are done moving. In the case of Strategize, it was emphasized that movement is done one figure at a time, so I think the same could be said here.

28) No. The Orb dealing a damage is actually a "special ability" of the heroes themselves (as printed on their hero cards), and the Sorcerer's don't have that ability.

29) I would agree with you. While you must move to an adjacent friendly area if possible before choosing an empty area, if you don't pay the influence to open the portal I would say it's similar to the mountain/water example - the border is impassible so you can ignore it in that case.

30) The player order of choosing factions, etc, only matters at the beginning of the game when choosing factions, building the map, and placing home realms. Once the game starts, you can forget that turn order - after that, turn order is determined by the previous season's Order card, or tiebreaker determined by influence. So in Autumn, the turn order is based on the Summer orders played by the players.

Phew. After reading all of this, I do have one clarification on the first question:

1) You mention "damage" for the Uthuk, and an orb for the Necromancer. Results are resolved as:

- Orbs for the attacker

- Orbs for the defender

- Routs for the attacker

- Routs for the defender

- Damage for the attacker

- Damage for the defender

So if the Uthuk player really drew 2 damage icons, the Necromancer ability would trigger first, and the Uthuk would then destroy both the Necromancer and one of the Reanimates.

Edited by Zabulus

Ah, correct. I think I was assuming that the Berserkers drew an orb to trigger the 2 damage as opposed to drawing 2 cards with damage icons.

If they were damage icons, then Zabulus is indeed correct, although the Waiqar player could choose to eliminate both Reanimates if he wanted to keep the Necromancer alive.

For follow-up with 25 and 26, I haven't received an answer yet (I realized I forgot to send the questions until today), but after more reading:

25) A follow-up ruling (which I need to see if I've put in my document; if not, I'll add it) was that cards that say "Play during your turn" are an exception to this as they aren't triggered by a specific event, so you could play, say, two Reinforcement cards. I asked for clarification if this applies to "Play during a battle" cards like Rally Cry (at least, the trigger used in this case), but I suspect since "during a battle" isn't a specific trigger either, it will be OK to play two Rally Cry's. (But not two BATTLE CRY cards, as that has a specific trigger - the check strength step).

26) Upon reading the development card, I'm almost 100% sure you CANNOT do the rout-Rally Cry-rerout option. The card says to choose to rout a number of Flesh Rippers first, then deal damage for each one. If you play Rally Cry to stand one up to try and re-rout them, it wouldn't work because you've still chosen the same number of Flesh Rippers, you just chose one twice. IE, the way I read it, you have to choose DIFFERENT Flesh Rippers to apply more damage.

Of course, when I get an official response, I'll post them here, and add them to the rulings doc.

19) If you attack the stronghold, it will always be damaged, regardless of whether you wipe them out or not. That represents that during the battle, the siege on the stronghold caused damage to the fortress itself. Thus, even if you wipe out the other player, when you take control of the stronghold, it will be damaged. The only way to take an enemy stronghold and keep it at full strength is if they played the Tactical Retreat card.

That's true for the side of the attacker.

But I find it important to point out that the stronghold doesn't get damaged, when you are defending and no attacker is standing after battle (strength 0), if there is one attacking unit standing however (strength 1 or more), the stronghold is still getting damaged even if you won as the defender.

I missed this for a long time so I thought it's worth sharing

Edited by DAMaz

I have a question about the undead. When the necromant has a orb result the undead player gets 2 berzerks.

Are these two berzerks are removed after the fight or will they be added to the hex where the battle is going on.

"What would happen if for example Uthuk attacks Undead. 2 berzerkers vs 1 necromant. Uthuk deals 2 damage and the necromancer has a orb result. Sincé Uthuk are de attacking player their abilities are resolved first, the question is, would they only kill the necromancer, since he is the only unit present when resolving berzerkers abilities and then would reanimates appear? or would they kill 1 necromancer and 1 reanimate?"

It would kill a necromancer and a reanimate. When the necromancer's orb resolves, the reanimates are added to the battle, and exist until they are destroyed (that is, they don't automatically go away after the battle- it's just like you recruited them.)

I have a question about the undead. When the necromant has a orb result the undead player gets 2 berzerks.

Are these two berzerks are removed after the fight or will they be added to the hex where the battle is going on.

"What would happen if for example Uthuk attacks Undead. 2 berzerkers vs 1 necromant. Uthuk deals 2 damage and the necromancer has a orb result. Sincé Uthuk are de attacking player their abilities are resolved first, the question is, would they only kill the necromancer, since he is the only unit present when resolving berzerkers abilities and then would reanimates appear? or would they kill 1 necromancer and 1 reanimate?"

It depends.

If the Uthuk deals the 2 damage via damage icons, the necromancer's special ability would be resolved first and the two skeletal warriors appear. Damage is resolved after special abilities so the unded player could distribute the 2 damage however he likes among the necromancer and the 2 skeletal warriors.

If the Uthuk deals the 2 damage via his special ability, the undead player has to deal the damage before the skelets spawn which means he can only kill the necromancer. However the special ability of the necromancer would still be executed and the two sekeletal warriors would spawn after the uthuk dealt the damage via special ability.

It depends.

If the Uthuk deals the 2 damage via damage icons, the necromancer's special ability would be resolved first and the two skeletal warriors appear. Damage is resolved after special abilities so the unded player could distribute the 2 damage however he likes among the necromancer and the 2 skeletal warriors.

If the Uthuk deals the 2 damage via his special ability, the undead player has to deal the damage before the skelets spawn which means he can only kill the necromancer. However the special ability of the necromancer would still be executed and the two sekeletal warriors would spawn after the uthuk dealt the damage via special ability.

For the special ability, it also depends on who is the attacker vs. defender. The attacker's orbs are resolved first, before the defender's.

So if Waiqar is the attacker, and Uthuk is the defender, and both draw orbs, the Waiqar ability would go first, spawning 2 reanimates. Then when Uthuk uses his orb, the reanimates could be used to absorb the hits. However, if Uthuk is the attacker, his orb would go first, and the Necromancer would be killed. The Waiqar orb would still trigger, as it doesn't depend on a standing Necromancer, and the card is still resolved regardless of what happens to the units, but the Reanimates won't be around to protect the Necromancer.

Incidentally, I got answers for several of the questions previously that I submitted to Corey. I'll try to relay his answers shortly.