Is Infiltrator the spec for me?

By swheelock, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

I'm playing a character whose background revolves around hunting certain individuals down and killing them (it sounds so violent when I type it out). He's not got any combat proficiency right now, though, so I want to pick a secondary spec. that will grant him some combat skills as career skills, and some talents that will make him able to carry out his revenge.

He's got a low Brawn and average Agility, so I'm thinking that pistols are the way to go (it has to be up close and personal). Social skills will hopefully let him get close enough.

I thought about going Scoundrel, which would give Ranged (Light) and some nice talents that would increase the likelihood of going first, and hitting harder because he went first. Another option seems to be Infiltrator, though, which gives Streetwise and Skullduggery (desirable career skills for him), and some nice talents.

Infiltrator looks like it pushes characters towards Melee, though, so I have two questions:

1) Is it worth going Infiltrator to try and be a pistol-using assassin-type?

2) Can a character with a Brawn of 1 even consider using Melee as a backup skill?

Thanks!

Engineer Saboteur would give you stealth, skulduggery, and Range(L). If you pick up Range(H) either via non-career or the Universal Recruit tree option, the talent Powerful Blast would make a blaster rifle with a spread barrel a serious way to ruin a potential target's day at close range.

I'm not seeing Ranged (L) for the Saboteur, and the Powerful Blast talent looks like it just affects exposives. However, I'm using a cheat sheet pdf someone made up for a reference, so perhaps things have changed between then and the final Beta rules.

Universal: Recruit has some good options. Discipline and Vigilance are great career skills, and I could get Ranged (L) through the talent, and then some other neat combat talents.

So hard to choose!

Either would work. So many players go the "assassin=sniper" route, which is a shame, since this "social assassin" archetype is so cool.

As for Melee with a Brawn of 1? Go for it! You've got a pretty clever and creative character anyway, and he would definitely be underestimated by his targets. Vibro-weapons will help get through Soak, poisons and toxins can boost your damage, stealth abilities can help you get an edge on your opponents from the beginning. And frankly, it's cheaper to buy ranks in Brawl or Melee than to increase your Brawn.

You'll only have 1 Proficiency Die, but with Talents and Weapon Mods, as well as Boost dice from surprise, you can trigger plenty of weapon qualities easily. You probably won't 1-hit Rivals or even tougher Minions, but with creative use of activated weapon qualities, you can impair their ability to strike back, while your social and stealth abilites have isolated your opponent to buy you time to strike at the most advantageous moment. Armor only helps when it's worn, and a blaster rifle does no good in a locker down the hall.

I'm not seeing Ranged (L) for the Saboteur, and the Powerful Blast talent looks like it just affects exposives. However, I'm using a cheat sheet pdf someone made up for a reference, so perhaps things have changed between then and the final Beta rules.

Universal: Recruit has some good options. Discipline and Vigilance are great career skills, and I could get Ranged (L) through the talent, and then some other neat combat talents.

So hard to choose!

The Engineer career gives Ranged(L), and Powerful Blast applies to Blast effects on weapons. So with a modded spread barrel on a blaster rifle to Blast 8 and those two ranks of talents, a player could have a Blast 10 on a rifle, pretty potent in close quarters and great for multiple opponents.

I'm going to be contrary and say "No, don't do it." regarding Melee with Brawn 1. The character will be at such a disadvantage compared to just picking up a holdout blaster, that I wouldn't recommend it at all.

I'm going to be contrary and say "No, don't do it." regarding Melee with Brawn 1. The character will be at such a disadvantage compared to just picking up a holdout blaster, that I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Any ideas on whether Infiltrator is worth it if not investing in Melee? Or on another specialization that would be better?

The Engineer career gives Ranged(L), and Powerful Blast applies to Blast effects on weapons. So with a modded spread barrel on a blaster rifle to Blast 8 and those two ranks of talents, a player could have a Blast 10 on a rifle, pretty potent in close quarters and great for multiple opponents.

Oh, I see what you're saying. The character is already made, so has a different primary career. Also, that's not really what I'm looking for (too much emphasis on rifles and explosives). Thanks, though.

I'd say your choices are Smuggler/Scoundrel, BH/Gadgeteer, and Soldier/Sharpshooter if you want Range(L) and some combat talents. You could wait for Dangerous Covenants and see what the new specs in that hold for Hired Gun, Enforcer might be an option in that.

2P51, you do know this is the Age of Rebellion board right? I believe the Original poster wanted to create a character using the AoR beta info, and the viability of such.

People seem to forget that the games are seperate, though compatible.

2P51, you do know this is the Age of Rebellion board right? I believe the Original poster wanted to create a character using the AoR beta info, and the viability of such.

No, 2P51's on the right track. I'm looking for a second specialization for an already-created character. I figured that the AoR board would have a lot of people who'd seen the Beta book, and would be able to give me more ideas than are in the EotE Core book.

People seem to forget that the games are seperate, though compatible.

OP mentioned Scoundrel in his own first post.

I completely missed that, though it does poing out an issue, that not all people will buy all three game lines, so which forum do you post in?

This isn't the post you're looking for...

I dont see what forumn someone poses a question in about the game regardless of if they have all 3 books as an issue. In fact asking in one and comparing to another might make someone choose to buy the other book or all 3. I was just lookin to help the OP out.

Looks like I'm going to go with Gadgeteer. Funny, because that wasn't even on the radar before. It has a lot of help for ranged damage, though, and Coercion plus Intimidating will be a great add to the character. If negotiation fails, threats can get it done.

Thank you all for the help.

Good stuff in Armor Master to for your low Brawn and a little jury rigging on top and you def have a nice combo.

I dont see what forumn someone poses a question in about the game regardless of if they have all 3 books as an issue. In fact asking in one and comparing to another might make someone choose to buy the other book or all 3. I was just lookin to help the OP out.

The crux of the problem is you (and lots of people) are using a singular 'the game'. Fantasy Flight have said there are going to be three games.

It is the idea that everyone will buy all three, while I intend to - unless I don't like the direction of force and destiny, not everyone will.

I'm really suggesting that we should have a linked sub-forum to discuss cross platform characters or people should have a thread title format that states cross platform info.

This is to keep things orderly, as quoting a rule on page 123 of Age of Rebellion could, very well, not be the same location in Edge of the Empire or Force & Destiny.

I missed the part where the original poster had made reference to the other game line, but had made reference to this forums focused game.

There will be reprinted material across the game lines and I just want things kept clear for people and organized.

So I don't fault you for helping, I clearly made an oversight in my skimming the forums, but I felt it brings up an, admittedly minor to some, issue.