Death of MC: what do YOU think?! A no holds barred discussion.

By Ruvion, in Mutant Chronicles

Yes, if you have a large scale the price goes up, no multi-game proxy, paint job looks bad, and all the other bad stuff that follows - it is the effect of that single factor, 54 scale, I agree complety with you.

Another parallel thing is the delays and format change = effect that kills hype.

A third thing parallel is that the MC license is a small, obscure universe with few hard-core fans that can't handle any changes - and to generate new customers you have to change the look of MC, since the old stuff is so colored by the early 90s over-the-top look that makes most wanna vomit.

Don't mix them.

I believe in a thrid generation products thoo, in a nother 10-15 years.

(Until then this game will be played 10-15 times a year.)

Lars said:

Is it me or is there more people and more discussion about the game since it died?!?

This is maybe because the Retro-collecting market is larger than the CMG market, LOL.

Iv been thinking lately about it and... I got conclusion.

Of course is only "what if..." but You know.

MC is closed afted 6 months - its strange. What if its a part of FFG's marketing campaign? You know - let sell all old models, make new ones. In that time activate a fan groups and when everyone will think "its over" BAM - we got new opening?

I wish that be true...

Hm, you have a strange attitude... but I like it!

The MC curse moves in strange ways, so why not -

If I think it - it exists.

Mutant2089 said:

Well in my country its rather popular attitude. For example Media Markt closed they stores just for that they could open them in next day. And it goes big campain "New Opening MM store!!". So i thinked that why not make that way with some miniature game? Sold out old models, closed line and then - BAM! we got a new producct for You!

About MC curse - i think that KULT curse is stronger (same creators).

de99ial said:

Mutant2089 said:

Well in my country its rather popular attitude. For example Media Markt closed they stores just for that they could open them in next day. And it goes big campain "New Opening MM store!!". So i thinked that why not make that way with some miniature game? Sold out old models, closed line and then - BAM! we got a new producct for You!

About MC curse - i think that KULT curse is stronger (same creators).

I think the stores call it closing time. Stores in Sweden also close at night, and open in the morning with the same products for sale. It is not ony a polish thing ;P

No. The store had campain "We closing MM store" empoeyes got T-shirts with signs "They closing MM store. They should forbid this. Im looking for a new job" MM store was cleaning they storage for low pices. They closed Store and after one day they made a BIG OPENING and off course low prices.

Get it?

Posted this in another thread:

This game was a gamble to begin with. MC has always been a niche game no matter what form it was in and minis games are much harder to get off the ground the card games.

The real nail in the coffin though was when they switched from random boosters to fixed sets.

Not only did it push the release closer to that of WoW minis it set off the first domino that eventually brought down the whole game: releasing the packs in waves, an incredibly stupid idea. The game was going to have mediocre sales to begin with and carving up the prospective consumer base into fractions did not help. Lackluster sales of the first few waves due to people watiing for the specific packs they wanted meant a lot of stores who were on the fence about carrying the game dropped the later releases altogether. FF was also stupid to think (or the players were for believing the lie) they could get future releases out on the original (2 weeks between releases was it?) timeline.

Having seen the movie recently* and having gone down to my Friendly local gaming store the next day to pick up a few things I needed, I saw the starter set for this game in the bargin bin for a mere $11 and with the movie still fresh in my mind, picked it up thinking I'd just found an uber opportunity. Came back home and checked these forums to find this thread and suddenly i'm feeling a little silly >.<

Oh what a world...what a world!

*bubbles away*

*Which despite being bad, was fun and we enjoyed it for that value alone, more than many higher quality movies - B for the win!

Lord Balor, no need to feel silly. you just picked up a great game for cheap and one that is still being supported by the com,unity (with one outstanding member churning out all kinds fo useful and good ideas to be proxied if you find yourself in the need to expand from what is there).

If you can you should pick up the Lost Legion pack from FFg as that will give you a ton of figures (i thiink 14, w/ 3 uniques) for $10 w/out warpacks. From there you can start shopping for warpacks to broaden your game hcoices if you want. Again you just bought a really good game. don't let its ghost status deter you from playing it.

Lars said:

Lord Balor, no need to feel silly. you just picked up a great game for cheap and one that is still being supported by the com,unity (with one outstanding member churning out all kinds fo useful and good ideas to be proxied if you find yourself in the need to expand from what is there).

If you can you should pick up the Lost Legion pack from FFg as that will give you a ton of figures (i thiink 14, w/ 3 uniques) for $10 w/out warpacks. From there you can start shopping for warpacks to broaden your game hcoices if you want. Again you just bought a really good game. don't let its ghost status deter you from playing it.

I'll have to look more into it, been busy lately and it was an impulse buy but I just couldn't resist. I went back and had a look at what other pack were still left and these are the one's Available from my Local Store:

Mutant Chronicles Advanced Recon
Mutant Chronicles Furys Wrath
Mutant Chronicles Necrotech
Mutant Chronicles Order of the Bear
Mutant Chronicles Venusian Command
Mutant Chronicles Karaks Curse
and of course, the Mutant Chronicles Starter

Since it is of course a dying game, time will make these sets harder to find and its only a matter of time before I won't be able to find it in stock anywhere so out of the listed above, what do you think would be the most important ones to grab/ones that will contribute the most and generally the most worth while?

Regards,

~Lord Balor

P.S. Couldn't find the Lost Legion thing in the MC section of the Catalog but did manage to find it on the Shop area! Will have to look into it and the above sets and work out whats a hit and whats a miss. Thanks again for the advice!

it depends on what direction you want to go. It looks like your store got cleaned out of capital and demon (mostly) packs and you are left mostly bahaus and brotherhood (not a horrible thing).

Brotherhood is not in the start nor in the Lost Legion pack (LL) Unless you really really want to collect brotherhood you don't have to worry about picking up Fury's wrath as you will not have enough figs for a decent army with just that.

Capitol is in the starter and in the LL so if you wanted the Advanced Reocn pack it would be a good pick up for capital (the bikes, while fragile in health have a cool trnasport ability and look fairly decent).

Demon is also in bothe the starter an LL, unfortunatly necrotech doesnt; give abig hitter or main personality, but it does give some solid nits and will help flesh out the army...not a rush though. Karak's Curse should be bought though. He is just a lot of fun....gives more command cards and is a centerpeice fig (also if you do get into brotherhood he provides more uses for those figs as he can field corrupted ones).

There are more Bauhaus in the LL pack hen any other faction so either of those two or both of the warpacks would be a great pick up (Order of the bear and venusian command).

Or You can buy one model each and use MC as a normal boardgame. I do that - i do not collect an army. I buy all figures to one card unit. This way i can costruct armies ad hoc and anytime. Mostly small battles like 10/10/10 but i gives me a fun. More i sometimes use only two fractions - Legion and Others - make two armies from this two and GO!

In other words - buy everything for having one model for one unit card. Then use this units to create two or more armies just for fun with a friend and play. I do that and it works ;) It give fun - for me it is just a boardgame with models ;)

Sorry for my bad english.

In Spain ask EDGE (official distributor of the game) and received a reply quite illuminating:

"Certainly we are with you. The rules are great and certainly had tremendous potential.
In fact, in addition, sales were good .

There have been a lot of problems with the change of format, production ... seems to have been a small disaster on the problems of manufacture, so have decided to cancel FFG "

So they lied to us telling that the sales was bad. It was good but they got some problems witch manufacterer so they just cancell it.

Great :|

I dont know how about in Your countries but in PL all warpacks cost the same as before and some are even more expencive. So WTF? Is it closed and everyone do promotions for dead line or they really up to do something.

Danann said:

In fact, in addition, sales were good .

I spoke of sales with Edge France at GEN CON Paris and they told me there had been no restoking from sellers since the launching of the game. Perhaps the situation was better in Spain.

Well... the greatest online shop in Poland says that salesment is medium - so not bad ;)

Sales were god at my store, but i told that already several times. I don´t know, how the game works at other retailers.

In germany "ebay" was nearly a "mutant chronicles free zone". Some starters were sold badly there for a couple of euros. So it seems that the game was also not very interesting for the secondary market.

Also two of my main distrubutors droped the game after the announcement from FFG. I was able to rescue some starter and warpacks for a massiv discount from them (i´ve stil got a large stock of mutant chronicles stuff now ^^).

I think there is only one distributor left, who still sells the whole line for a normal retailer price to us shop/store owners.

I´ve never seen this game on any convention here in germany (i was the only guy who had given some demos on two events, but i´m not the demo-guy because i must keep a store running. happy.gif

I have read some posting in different german message boards about gaming - most of the people there were disappointed about the game.

So i dont think, that germany was the best place for this game. Sadly.

Polish MC publisher Galakta is selling out warpacks http://www.galakta.istore.pl/sklep,1221,,,03,,pl-pln,694865,0.html

I don't think that FFG will continue publishing it anymore. Maybe they'll sell the rights to someone else, but I wouldn't count on it sad.gif

Game over man, game over!

Yes i know that Galakta is selling out their warpacks but also fe Nikodemus got really high price.

I still have hope for that MC wont die.

That was an excellent trip down memory lane! Loved MC when it was an RPG, loved it ever since. Sad to see the minis not well received.

There were a few reasons our group did not get into it. For us, however, the fixed packs were a huge PLUS. We never would have bought into random packs, or even considered the game. We were looking for a miniatures game with more than 2 factions that we could use all those cool miniature scenery at the game store. When it was the wrong scale, we held back and now it's gone.

We pondered Confrontation, but no one wanted to be the lame humans. Same with AT-43. Everyone wanted to be the aliens or apes- no one wanted to be the commies.

We still haven't really found a good non-random, pre-painted minis game.

The whole collectible thing for me is a waste of money - good for the kids. I prefer the idea of fixed packs, which gives me more control over the game. However, i'd rather buy each mini individually. In much smaller boxes. Too big packages for 2-3 minis are an issue when you're running out of space in the house. Also... not painted minis can be equally impressive. Gluing them to their bases was also a bad idea. This way they can't be separated easily and removing the paint and repainting is risky.

But all collectible miniatures games seem to be prepainted.