A lot of Questions

By Lüuna2, in StarCraft

Hi,

more and more questions are coming up, when playing Starcraft. :D

So i've got to ask a couple of things, again. ;)

1. What happens, when I use the EventCard "Flawless Defence Plan", which gives me +2 Health together with for example Bunker , Heal , The Terran repair card, which actually has no name, the protoss defense card, Improved Defense (Zerg), Shield Battery, or whatever technologie support-card, which improves my Health? Do the boni stack? So, when I play the EC AND Bunker , would the Marine/Firebat/Ghost get +5 Health?

1a) The Boni stack and add to a total of 5.

1b) The higher Bonus counts. - 3 (Bunker)

1c) The Bonus first played/used counts. - 2 (EC)

2. When does the fact, who controls a Strategic Area change?

2a) Immediately, when someone loses this area.

2b) In the Regrouping phase (like the Ressource-Cards)

2c) something completely different?

The Problem was Player A controlling (with a Basis) a Strategic Area , Player B attacking it and winning, but BOTH players still having orders on this planet - so we couldn't find a answer, WHO is able to execute their orders, as if they were Special orders?

3. The Leadership Card "Make do with little" (Jim Raynor (Blue Terran); Stage 2) says, that everytime , when I execute a "Build order" , i can build 1 Worker OR Transport for free .

Am I allowed to build this Transport everywhere in the galaxy, or only, where I executed the Build order?

4. Am I allowed to build an Mutalisk and "morph" in the same "Build Order" into an Guardian/Devourer ? The same thing with Archons , Dark Archons and Lurker - can i build the "main" Unit an destroy it, in order to get the Tech-Unit during one "Build Order"? Or have I to execute 2 "Build Orders" - one to build a Mutalisk/Hydralisk and one to "morph" it into an Lurker/Guardian/Devourer etc.?

5. Sometimes strange Things happens. For Example Player A has almost been defeated by Player B, but Player A has still following on the planet :

- a Base (which is going to be destroyed in regrouping phase, because Enemy units are on it)
- a Unit in another area on the same Planet
- a Build Order (this is the last order on this planet)

Is Player A really allowed to destroy his own Base (which would either be destroyed) and rebuild it on the other area, where he has an unit, when executing this build order?

This way you could save your Base quite easy. This would almost be the same as the Terran " Mobile Base ", but you have to pay for the base (and have an "Build Order" instead of an "Mobilize Order")!

Thanks a lot :)

Greetings

Andreas

1. the bonuses stack. The only health bonus in the game that doesn't stack is the one gained from the gaurd tokens.

2. Control of a strategic area changes just like control of any area, meaning it happens immediately.

3. Think of this as giving you a discount of one mineral when building a worker or transport during a build order. It doesn't let you break the rules just gives you a discount on a worker or transport when you build.

4. tech required units cannot be build in the same order as the units you want to sacrifice. In other words if you want to build a guardian the mutalisk has to be on the board already when you reveal the build order.

5. Yes you can sacrifice your base to build another one.

blarknob said:

[...]

4. tech required units cannot be build in the same order as the units you want to sacrifice. In other words if you want to build a guardian the mutalisk has to be on the board already when you reveal the build order.

[...]

can you give me sth. like a source for this?

Thank you :)

As these Technology cards state, to build tech-required

units requires the active player to destroy existing, specific

friendly unit(s) as an additional “cost” of building the new

unit. “Existing” means that a player can only destroy a unit

that existed on the active planet before the Build order

was executed. Then, the new tech-required unit must be

placed in the area that contained one of the units that wasdestroyed to build it.

Here ya go page 38 of the rulebook

blarknob said:

As these Technology cards state, to build tech-required

units requires the active player to destroy existing, specific

friendly unit(s) as an additional “cost” of building the new

unit. “Existing” means that a player can only destroy a unit

that existed on the active planet before the Build order

was executed. Then, the new tech-required unit must be

placed in the area that contained one of the units that wasdestroyed to build it.

Here ya go page 38 of the rulebook

OK ... yeah ... I see ... somehow we managed to skip this while reading the rules a few thousand times -.-

btw., are you really sure with the answer to 3.? I think so too, but in our "group" someone thinks of really build the transport everywhere he wants.

Thank you so much :)

3) To execute the Build order, you don't need to have the base on the active planet, you just need at least one unit. However, normally you can't build any workers/transports/units without base. So that "Make do with little" card allows to build transports if you have any unit on the active planet (if you are able to execute the Build order) .

Otherwise, the rule on this leadership card should be reformulated as in example below:

"Each time you execute a Build order, you receive a discount for one built worker or transport."

But I believe my interpretation is correct.

blarknob said:

I'm not positive about number 3

use this if you want an official answer.

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_faq.asp

Nice, didn't even knew, there is such an possibility. :)

cyb3k said:

3) To execute the Build order, you don't need to have the base on the active planet, you just need at least one unit. However, normally you can't build any workers/transports/units without base. So that "Make do with little" card allows to build transports if you have any unit on the active planet (if you are able to execute the Build order) .

Otherwise, the rule on this leadership card should be reformulated as in example below:

"Each time you execute a Build order, you receive a discount for one built worker or transport."

But I believe my interpretation is correct.

After thinking of not even needing a base in order to move from planet to planet, this card should be strong enough :D

I think thats a result everybody will accept, fine - thanks :)

It's a pity, but I have two more things to ask now. :(

6.)

Yesterday I wanted to attack an single Wraith with 1 Defiler and 1 Queen (Queen as an FLU, Defiler with the Special Card, which deals ground/air-splash, but is always triggered - that means always destroys 1 Unit (don't know, how this Technology is called in english^^))

But the Defending Player didn't allow me to do this, because he meant 'somewhere in the core game rule book is said, that i'm not allowed to attack with Assist Units only'

It was late, and so we didn't really look through the whole book again, and i simply said, OK ...

The only thing I can find now says: "Assist Units may never be FLU" with one "Exception: When ALL Units of one Player in a battle are Assist Units , then one of them has to be the FLU and the others are supporting Units.

So my question - am I allowed to attack with Assist Units only - for example the way I wrote done earlier!?

7.)

When there is a battle, on an enemy base and all units except one of my Assist Units are destroyed (for example a Defiler), may I never the less put it on the area of the base, in order to destroy it? The defending player meant NO, because Assist Units can not stay alone in an area with an enemy base.

The rules say: All defending Players destroyed and at least one attacking unit still alive --> attacker has won and moves to the ressource-area.

But there is ONLY this one example, not another one relating to an area, the enemy has a base in.

What's right now? Does the Assist Unit "kill" the Base, or has it to retreat, even though all enemy units are destroyed?

I'm sorry, that I have to ask such basic things. :(

Somehow the Rulebook is not the very best, isn't it? ;)

Thank you again and again for your answers :)

Greetings

Andreas

6.)

Yesterday I wanted to attack an single Wraith with 1 Defiler and 1 Queen (Queen as an FLU, Defiler with the Special Card, which deals ground/air-splash, but is always triggered - that means always destroys 1 Unit (don't know, how this Technology is called in english^^))

But the Defending Player didn't allow me to do this, because he meant 'somewhere in the core game rule book is said, that i'm not allowed to attack with Assist Units only'

It was late, and so we didn't really look through the whole book again, and i simply said, OK ...

The only thing I can find now says: "Assist Units may never be FLU" with one "Exception: When ALL Units of one Player in a battle are Assist Units , then one of them has to be the FLU and the others are supporting Units.

So my question - am I allowed to attack with Assist Units only - for example the way I wrote done earlier!?

I believe the answer is yes. As you noted above, Pg 39 says that if all the units on one side are ASSIST, one of them has to be the FLU. Pg 42 goes on to say: "It is important to note that units with the assist ability do not have average attack or health values because they do not match with any standard Combat cards. Because of this, assist units that are front-line units in battle always use the minor values of a standard Combat card."

It doesn't say you can't attack with them.

7.)

When there is a battle, on an enemy base and all units except one of my Assist Units are destroyed (for example a Defiler), may I never the less put it on the area of the base, in order to destroy it? The defending player meant NO, because Assist Units can not stay alone in an area with an enemy base.

The rules say: All defending Players destroyed and at least one attacking unit still alive --> attacker has won and moves to the ressource-area.

But there is ONLY this one example, not another one relating to an area, the enemy has a base in.

What's right now? Does the Assist Unit "kill" the Base, or has it to retreat, even though all enemy units are destroyed?

Pg 32-33 says ASSIST units cannot remain alone in the same area with enemy units . A Base is not a unit so the ASSIST unit can remain.

6) There is no rule which denies to use only assist units to start the battle. At least, I couldn't find any. Of course, they cannot destroy any units with combat values (because they don't have attack capabilities), but they can use bought technology (reinforcement) cards, which usually allow to do that. Especially those available to Zerg (Plague or Spawn Broodling).

So I suppose that's completely legal move.

BTW: Very nice idea of using Zerg assist units. I've never thought about that before. Thanks happy.gif

Especially Queens (they are cheap) can be used in such way.

7) That's suprising, but the presence of enemy base doesn't force assist units to retreat. They cannot normally kill units (without technology cards), but they can destroy workers and bases sorpresa.gif

The conclusion (seen in other topic about that):

Never underestimate assist units gui%C3%B1o.gif

OK, so till now everything sounds fine. ;)

And yes, Plague and Broodling are quite nice Skills, especially when controlling an strategic area - the special research-order is great :D

After the match today - it doesn't only sound like we play every day , we do :) - a new questions came up ^^

8.) Can "Colleteral Damage" only be triggerd inside a battle?

We played the 3-Player-Scenario and the blue Terran (Player A) had an SiegeTank (already researched SiegeMode, and had one card on the hand) an the center planet with a move to another planet (controlled by Player B). This move is the last but one order to be revealed on this planet. After this move was only a build order from Player B. Now Player A goes straight for the base, he wants to destroy it, but since there is no battle, he isn't able to play his "Colleteral Damage" Combat Card. May he somehow play this card to prevent Player B from executing his build order, or is this simply bad luck, that Player B had no units in the area, where the base is?

Actually it shouldn't be an advantage for Player B not defending his base, but (if he had another move-order on this planet) he had one, because when moving to his base again to destroy the Siege Tank, he would most likely succed.

9.)

Related to this: Would Player B be able to build first Units on the remaining empty areas on this planet and later, after step 1&2 of the building order, destroy his base voluntary to rebuild it in step 3? So, may he destroy his own base DURING an order? Actually the 3 steps allow this, but we are not sure, if he really can destroy his own base within the build order.

10.)

It's about the Hero called Fenix. On the leadership card the following is written:

"[...] This Unit is able to use High Templar and Dragoon Combat cards. [...]"

Should it read like: This Unit is able to use High Templar technology cards in addition to Dragoon combat cards.

Or should the High Templar be replaced with Dark Templar , or where is the sense here?

11.)

Skirmish:

Siege Tank -vs- Zealot [FLU] + Dark Templar

When the Siege Tank has Ground Splash both Units are destroyed, aren't they? (assumed the tank has enough power to tear the Zealot - and he surely has ;) )

Am I right, that the Dark Templar can NOT use his cloak, because he is not attacked directly!?

12.)

I just read in the scbw_faq.pdf, that the Sacrifice ability is ignored when neither the enemy FLU nor the enemy Support Unit can be attacked.

Does this really mean, that you can make the following skirmish:

Scourge [FLU] + Queen (Broodling) -vs- Siege Tank [FLU] + Battle Cruiser

and so destroy BOTH enemy units?

Actually the Scourge is unable to attack the Tank, but the BC. This seems extremely strong to me, because the Zerg only loses 2 gas, but the terran ... count yourself ;)

13.) Defensive Module

Terran attacks an Protoss - Skirmishes:

Valkyrie -vs- Dark Templar

Siege Tank -vs- Zealot

Actually the Protoss can NOT Change Units, because neither the Zealot, nor the DT are able to be attacked by the Valkyrie. Is this here something like an Exception, because even with this skirmishes one protoss-unit is absolutely NOT able to be attacked by one Terran Unit (Valkyrie), or is it as simple, as the rules are - just NO to switch units!?

Thanks again, and I will keep on asking and asking and asking and asking, because we keep on playing and playing and playing and playing :D

8) Yes, some side must start the battle, otherwise tank doesn't have to use Collateral Damage. Actually, it "destroys" both base/installation and workers on this area.

9) In my opinion, it's all allowed, because it is not specified in which moment of executing order (build) you are able to (or you must) destroy the base. But surely you can do it.

10) High Templar has only technology cards (Psionic Storm, Hallucination). With Fenix present in skirmish (they all have specialty support icon), you can play them and use their abilities.

11) Indeed, Cloaking is useless against Splash Damage (because Cloaking allows to withdraw cloaked FLU before resolving Splash Damage, and only if it is killed). So both Protoss units die in this example skirmish.

In some cases, Cloaking may also work for supporting units (if FLU can't be killed because of attack capabilities).

12) That's true happy.gif

13) Sadly, the defender can't switch units in such cases. That would make this module too powerfull.

OK, thank you.

I've got to ask something concerning Question 1) again.

The Rulebook says:

"Note that this token may only be used when defending, and cannot be used in conjunction with other abilities that provide a health bonus."

Does this also count for heros? There are some heroes, who gain +1 or +2 Health, when FLU in an Skirmish.

Do at least these boni stack?

Would be kind of strange, having for example Fenix (Dragoon) with +2 defense and an Guard-Token, and this token will not increase his defense.

For example having fenix with the Combat Card #6 - 8 Attack and 7 Health. Does Fenix have 8 Attack and 9 Health (+2 bonus due to being a hero, ignoring the Guard-Token-boni) with an Guard-Token, or 8 Attack and 11 Health (+2 due to being a hero, and additional +2 from the Guard-Token)?

Thank you again :)

We haven't had one match today, so I think the next question won't come too soon ;)

the gaurd token bonus doesn't stack with anything at all.

This includes any bonuses given to heroes and even bonuses on basic combat cards. basically anything that has a + sign in front of it.

blarknob said:

This includes any bonuses given to heroes and even bonuses on basic combat cards. basically anything that has a + sign in front of it.

well ... ok ... this is kind of stupid ... -.-

thank you :)

Luuna said:

blarknob said:

well ... ok ... this is kind of stupid ... -.-

thank you :)

I agree. But at least it is flexible. In every skirmish you may either take the guards's bonus to your plain health number or take all your standard bonuses you would normally get. BTW if you want to know my source, it's from EMELT (who asked Corey, the game's designer) in an older thread.

14.)

Are other players allowed to look at my technology-card deck? (mainly to find out, which technologies i've researched, if they forgot!)

Of course I have to tell them, when researching a technology, but i'm not sure that they are allowed to look throught afterwards.

14) They can, but only if you let them to do that ;-] This make the game easier to all. If you like such rules, use them.

IMO you have to show the others what technology you purchased, because:

- you must pay a fair price for it

- some cards must be revealed, if you want to use them (e.g. those in play area)

- it allows other players (e.g. beginners which have never played that race before) to learn the rules, fit own strategy to your moves

We've got the following situation yesterday.

Zerg attacking Protoss (from neighbor-planet).

The active planet has got 2 areas (Vyctor 5).

One is occupied by the protoss army, which is going to be attacked by the Zerg.

One is occupied by a single Zerg Unit.

The Protoss had the Carrier-Hero in his army and an Dark Templar.

The Carrier-Hero is able to destroy 1 unit/base/installation on the same planet when dying.

When is this resolved?

I lost the Carrier-Hero, said because of this, I want to destroy the Queen on the other area (in order to make it free) and will save my DT by his cloaking-ability.

Does this work? Or have I to choose the unit/base/installation AFTER the Battle?

15) You have to resolve Gantrithor's ability immediately when it's destroyed (just like in case you destroy in voluntarily, althought you can do this only during your turn (any order execution) and except during battle).

So that you always will be able to clean that second area (with single unit) for your withdraw, because withdraws are resolved "at the end of the
“Destroy Units and Discard Cards” step of skirmish resolution".

BTW: Note that you don't have to resolve all withdraws to a single area, like during Retreat step. If both sides withdraw, the attacking one may do it first to block all available areas for withdraw(s) of defender.