Scaling difficulties of enemies

By Lord Master Igneus, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

Orks in DW will hit quite a lot due to the +20 for full auto mechanic. BS24 + 20 + 10 for short range = 54%.

Stop defying the common GW theme that Orks are bad shots! I like mocking orks for bad aim... Besides if you take the newer rules for full auto in BC and OW, Full auto is now -10. I'm actually more inclined to use that over the Deathwatch rules as of late since otherwise +20 makes for way too high a number of rounds for what's essentially a long burst with no proper control.

Edited by Calgor Grim

-But how many Orks have the discipline to stand in one place to take advantage of that +20 Full Auto bonus, when they have the option to spend a Full Action running toward the enemy? ;)

It is interesting because in my games the PCs are starting to fear the hordes more than the elites because of the sheer number of attacks and potential damage out put they can put out, not to mention to the lack of dodges. That said combat in my games is somewhat more deadly than perhaps the designers envisaged.

Masters have still be very powerful however.

Next session the PCs take on Orks...that should be fun.

I might actually switch out the Bloodletters for a really big Cultist horde, and instead have a few of them materialize in the reactor core after the bombs are planted instead of having there be a dreadnought standing around. I've also started planning a third mission that should be a bit more extensive and less straightforward. Basically its a stealth mission on Tsua'lamor to sabotage a sterilization center to do the exact opposite of sterilizing the human populations! I told one of my players and him, being an assault marine and Charcharodon named Kilgar, is not entirely open to the stealth aspect, so I'm thinking of having it partially be a distraction mission to draw the Tau's attention away from said sabotage. I'm probably just going to have some drones, Fire Warriors, and Kroot as opponents, maybe with an ethereal and a few Vespids.

Hi all,

I'm in the process of putting together some missions for my first DW campaign, which will also be my first experience GMing a tabletop rpg. I plan on running the extraction mission first, or final sanction, though I am leaning towards extraction due to the more detailed maps I've been finding.

In terms of player xp/rank, are there certain enemies that would be considered too difficult to throw at my players? It seems like the 'nids that extraction calls for them to be encountering are manageable and not very difficult to deal with for rank 1 marines, though I will be playing as a rank 4 squad leader just to kind of help them through their first mission.

I'm considering either genestealers for their next mission if they succeed in retrieving the magos in extraction and having the information he was carrying contain intel on a recently appeared space-hulk infested with genestealers. Though I am considering throwing a curve ball and having them encounter something else that managed to completely slaughter the gene-stealers. It'd make it a bit more challenging especially considering that one of their squad members is a Tyrannic War Vet.

If I do wind up doing that what would serve as a sufficiently challenging foe that is also believably able to clear out a genestealer infestation? Maybe Necrons or would they be a bit too tough for novices? I'm also considering Rak'Gol as well.

Hi, my name's Ash. I have been running RPG games for years now and recently picked up deathwatch. My character is a Blood Angels Assault Marine, Rank 2. I have picked up the rules quickly and have all essentials for the books. if your still interested in running this game, just reply and we can go from there.

thanks,

Ash

-But how many Orks have the discipline to stand in one place to take advantage of that +20 Full Auto bonus, when they have the option to spend a Full Action running toward the enemy? ;)

Yeah I have thought about this and split the Orks into Combat Mobz who have sluggas and choppas and are there to charge and Shoota Boyz who who lower Magnitude and are more inclined to blast the PCs at a distance (Orks generally would much rather be in the Combat Mobz!)

The scenario will be a bit of a bloodbath. PCs have to stop the Orks advance vs a Imperial hill fort. Primary objective to achieve this is destroying a Gobsmasher tank and a Death Dredd. Orks have a lot of mobz plus Ork nobs and Kill Kanz, the Deathwatch kill team are supported by Cptn De Dominova, a Thunderhawk the Imperial Guard defenders and a couple of artillery pieces

Hi all,

I'm in the process of putting together some missions for my first DW campaign, which will also be my first experience GMing a tabletop rpg. I plan on running the extraction mission first, or final sanction, though I am leaning towards extraction due to the more detailed maps I've been finding.

In terms of player xp/rank, are there certain enemies that would be considered too difficult to throw at my players? It seems like the 'nids that extraction calls for them to be encountering are manageable and not very difficult to deal with for rank 1 marines, though I will be playing as a rank 4 squad leader just to kind of help them through their first mission.

I'm considering either genestealers for their next mission if they succeed in retrieving the magos in extraction and having the information he was carrying contain intel on a recently appeared space-hulk infested with genestealers. Though I am considering throwing a curve ball and having them encounter something else that managed to completely slaughter the gene-stealers. It'd make it a bit more challenging especially considering that one of their squad members is a Tyrannic War Vet.

If I do wind up doing that what would serve as a sufficiently challenging foe that is also believably able to clear out a genestealer infestation? Maybe Necrons or would they be a bit too tough for novices? I'm also considering Rak'Gol as well.

Hi, my name's Ash. I have been running RPG games for years now and recently picked up deathwatch. My character is a Blood Angels Assault Marine, Rank 2. I have picked up the rules quickly and have all essentials for the books. if your still interested in running this game, just reply and we can go from there.

thanks,

Ash

I am very much interested! Right now I've finished up drawing a map of the Tau base my players will be infiltrating, and I'm in the process of drawing interiors for the buildings in said base. There will most likely be multiple levels in the main building where humans are sterilized, right now I'm wondering how many Fire Warriors will be too much for the players to encounter at once, there will be a few Kroot hordes as well and maybe Vespid hordes as well. Possibly a few vehicles but this is not a military outpost so they will likely be transports.

I would suhhest issuing them scout armour for the infilitration, since Marines are almost impossible to miss with the -40 to Concealment from their power armour.

I would suhhest issuing them scout armour for the infilitration, since Marines are almost impossible to miss with the -40 to Concealment from their power armour.

True, unless they're Raven Guard! And I thought it was -20? It's most likely going to be partly stealth, as one part of the team will be distracting the base in order to draw attention away from the sabotage, and make the Tau believe that their objective is to free the humans who are lined up to be sterilized or to kill the Ethereal/Water Caste stationed there. But in reality they're basically altering the sterilization thingy to make them reproduce like rabbits!

True, unless they're Raven Guard! And I thought it was -20?

I don't have the Rulebook handy, but I could swear it was -30...?

True, unless they're Raven Guard! And I thought it was -20?

I don't have the Rulebook handy, but I could swear it was -30...?

-30 - 10 for Hulking = -40

Black Carapace removes Hulking bonus to hit, it does nothing to the Cincealment modifier.

So I have yet another question, have any of you used or heard of people using Rak'gol as enemies in Deathwatch? I'm planning a mission that involves an adeptus mechanicus ship passing through the warp-gate into the Jericho Reach, I'm trying to figure out what kind of ship to use but I was wondering how to play out this mission.

I know that I will have my kill-team board the seemingly lifeless ship to investigate what exactly happened only to have them get rushed out of nowhere by Rak'gol, I'm trying to evoke a vibe similar to the movie Aliens in this mission. Any advice/pointers?

So I have yet another question, have any of you used or heard of people using Rak'gol as enemies in Deathwatch? I'm planning a mission that involves an adeptus mechanicus ship passing through the warp-gate into the Jericho Reach, I'm trying to figure out what kind of ship to use but I was wondering how to play out this mission.

I know that I will have my kill-team board the seemingly lifeless ship to investigate what exactly happened only to have them get rushed out of nowhere by Rak'gol, I'm trying to evoke a vibe similar to the movie Aliens in this mission. Any advice/pointers?

Hmm, interesting idea. Rak'Gol are a major threat to a Rogue Trader and his/her redshirted lackeys... Not sure how they'd stack up against a Kill-team, though. The one big difference between Rak'Gol and aliens is the former are technically savvy enough to make their own voidships. That means the Rak'Gol have ranged weapons, communication gear, and other high tech toys... My usual Rak'Gol tactic, when I was GM'ing RT, was the leapfrog advance. Half the Rak'Gol spray and pray with their heavy stubbers (a couple of them use Suppressing Fire, the rest try to kill things) while the other half full move toward the PC's. The next turn, they switch tasks. Once they get close enough, they all frenzy and charge in hand-to-talon. There's also the "hug the PC and detonate your suicide device" trick for a badly injured Rak'Gol. Against marines, though, that might not be effective. With marine armour and toughness, I'm not sure the Rak'Gol shooting will do much, their hand to hand isn't much better, and marines are immune to fear...

Well, nothin' ventured, nothin' sprained. Try it and see if it works.

Cheers,

- V.

Hmm, interesting idea. Rak'Gol are a major threat to a Rogue Trader and his/her redshirted lackeys... Not sure how they'd stack up against a Kill-team, though. The one big difference between Rak'Gol and aliens is the former are technically savvy enough to make their own voidships. That means the Rak'Gol have ranged weapons, communication gear, and other high tech toys... My usual Rak'Gol tactic, when I was GM'ing RT, was the leapfrog advance. Half the Rak'Gol spray and pray with their heavy stubbers (a couple of them use Suppressing Fire, the rest try to kill things) while the other half full move toward the PC's. The next turn, they switch tasks. Once they get close enough, they all frenzy and charge in hand-to-talon. There's also the "hug the PC and detonate your suicide device" trick for a badly injured Rak'Gol. Against marines, though, that might not be effective. With marine armour and toughness, I'm not sure the Rak'Gol shooting will do much, their hand to hand isn't much better, and marines are immune to fear...

Well, nothin' ventured, nothin' sprained. Try it and see if it works.

Cheers,

- V.

If thats the case then I'll most likely use them in an early mission, definitely one aboard a space ship of some sort. Thanks for the advice!

Another question/request, what enemies should I throw at my players at what rank? i.e. Hordes of rebel guardsmen at Rank 1, hordes of bloodletters at rank 6, etc.? And what master level enemies are dealable with at different ranks? I'm planning on using the Headsman of Cellebos at some point and I want to introduce him at a point where my players can deal with him as a team along with a few berserkers. My friend and co-gm told me he played as a pretty experiences space wolf at one point and fought a regular Chaos Space Marine in combat and had to get evac'd.

I will also be starting our campaign this week, hopefully Extraction will go well!

A rank 2 KT can defeat a lone Daemon Prince that's already in melee. A Fate Point or 2 might get burnt but it sure can be done. Conversely, a Rank 2 Assault Marine will struggle against a single Nid warrior in melee. A single mag 40 horde of PDF with lasguns is doable. Even 2 or 3 of them.

I have had more combats that were too easy for my players than those that have been a challenge. If that happens to you, up the ante. For me, Deathwatch works best when the players realize that a straight-up fight is going to kill them. Then they are forced to come up with unusual ideas/plans/strategies... if they do, support them as GM and ensure that it turns the tables heavily in their favour.

Alex

A rank 2 KT can defeat a lone Daemon Prince that's already in melee. A Fate Point or 2 might get burnt but it sure can be done. Conversely, a Rank 2 Assault Marine will struggle against a single Nid warrior in melee. A single mag 40 horde of PDF with lasguns is doable. Even 2 or 3 of them.

I have had more combats that were too easy for my players than those that have been a challenge. If that happens to you, up the ante. For me, Deathwatch works best when the players realize that a straight-up fight is going to kill them. Then they are forced to come up with unusual ideas/plans/strategies... if they do, support them as GM and ensure that it turns the tables heavily in their favour.

Alex

This is great advice. Very often I have found that my PCs are able to cut a bloody swathe through the enemy. While this is ok once or twice it can get a bit boring. It also breeds a certain arrogance in the players that can be difficult to rectify later.

Just make sure that you indicate this to the players early on without saying it outright. Tactics can come in handy here too. Tactics(Assault)+30 passed? "You realize that in a direct confrontation, the 12 Chaos Marines would kill you all. You better think of something fast now." Reward creativity and epic maneuvers from this point on.

Alex

I allow an appropriate tactics check to give the PCs an idea of the Magnitude and Traits of a Horde.

Good ideas. I admit I have a hard time with Tactics rolls: sometimes it's useless, sometimes it can give too much away.

I will keep the tactic rolls in mind, most of my players, apart from me and two other (one being the other co-gm) are more well versed in 40k fluff, chances are one of them (and me) will be functioning as the leaders during missions, and I plan on talking to them and giving them some advice. My co-gm is going to be responsible for the overarching storyline which I will share his plans for in a moment, while I handle making "one-shot" missions that are separate from it, with a few tying into each other. But here is his idea and what it will entail, I am on his ass to register on here too so we can both share ideas and get feedback, and I will most definitely direct him to this thread since he will be able to elaborate on the finer aspects of his part of the campaign.

But here is the background he shared with me:

DA FLUFF:

What can we truly know of the Warp? We know it is an unknowable, untameable plane beyond the existence we know, associated with the powers of Chaos and its foul and misbegotten demons. is that all it is? is that all that dwells beyond its dark and foreboding mystery?

To Brother Artorias, Captain of the noble Blood Angels 6th Company, the Warp was simply the spawning ground of his most hated enemies. To wonder at its secrets was heresy and madness in the making. Poor, poor Artorias, for he would learn more than any mortal the true terror of the warp, and know that more that Chaos could impose their will upon it, or the rest of the cosmos for that matter.

The means by which Brother Artorias found himself at the edge of reality are not important, nor are the lives of his numerous Battle Brothers. Only that Artorias alone survived at the edge of the great, devouring void, beyond life and time and the cosmos themselves. After months, or years perhaps, of otherworldly torture of body, mind, and spirit, he persevered only to be taken by the infamous Black Rage. in the derelict remains of his Battle Barge, he raged and despaired. Eventually the man known as Artorias became no more, giving way to a maddened husk in blood red armor, doomed to eternally haunt the ship amongst the corpses of his former brothers, until something took notice.

The man known once as Artorias was met by a great being, more terrifying and magnificent than the Emperor or Sanguinius by factors of magnitude mortals fail to give justice to. A being whose terrible power made all he had beheld of the the powers of Chaos seem inconsequential and petty. A great being made of cosmos and void and hunger, in the shape of a great many-winged, many-taloned eagle with golden rings about its head. it whispered into his mind, changing him, giving him knowledge meant for no mortal, unlocking powers within him not meant to be realized in the plane of the material.

'Ezkaton' passed the man that was Artorias' lips, and he knew it to be the name of his new Master. He had found new purpose in his encounter, and with his new found knowledge he new a way back to his former home. he knew that the galaxy he once knew was doomed by its own bloodlust and hatred and ignorance. he would go forth as Apolyon to the world he once knew, find a way to bring his Master in tow, and through perdition and desolation cleanse the galaxy, that it may be born anew.
With his new-found power he raised his dead brothers and bathed them in the light of his new Master and brought his derelict battle barge back again whence they came, and thus were the Sons of Perdition born...

the basic idea for the campaign is that Apolyon and his Sons of Perdition (essentially Chaos Space Marines serving a C'tan instead of a Chaos god) return to the galaxy and begin operating subtly in a sector near the Jericho Reach (somewhere in between the Deathwatch and Red Suns home sectors) in hopes of creating a portal through which Ezkaton can be brought forth to eradicate the galaxy of life. they plan to offer up all the beings of their immediate galactic vicinity as sacrifices to open said portal.

the campaign will take place across multiple sectors with a final, climactic conflict taking place in the sector in which the Sons of Perdition arrived.

The Sons of Perdition will utilize Lizardman forces as their grunts (rules forthcoming) and Apolyon will have four Lieutenants meant to act as boss battles. The forces initially anticipated to join the conflict are as follows:

The Good:
Deathwatch
Imperial Guard
Red Suns Space Marines
Stone Lords Space Marines
Blood Ravens Space Marines

The Bad:
Sons of Perdition Chaos Marines
Lizardman auxilery
Necrons (on one world at least)

The Wild Cards:
Eldar

Now the Red Suns are a chapter of his own making, basically they're an Aztec-themed chapter, and they are descended from the gene-seed of Garviel Loken (and the other loyalist Luna Wolves), the Stone Lords are my own creation (I posted a thread in the Homebrew forum here, check it out!) who are experienced in fighting Necrons, they will most definitely take interest in the events detailed. I am going to figure out what these "lizardmen" are, and I'm somewhat iffy on them, I might try to talk to him about using some other race that is already established to serve their purpose. I am also wondering when and how we should use the Necrons, as it was mentioned earlier in this thread that they are very difficult enemies early on, and I would like to know what your experiences have been fighting them (please indicate the ranks of the players fighting them, effective tactics/weapons to be used against them, and other useful tidbits). Please offer any critique and I will share it with my co-gm!

Edited by Lord Master Igneus

I will keep the tactic rolls in mind, most of my players, apart from me and two other (one being the other co-gm) are more well versed in 40k fluff, chances are one of them (and me) will be functioning as the leaders during missions, and I plan on talking to them and giving them some advice. My co-gm is going to be responsible for the overarching storyline which I will share his plans for in a moment, while I handle making "one-shot" missions that are separate from it, with a few tying into each other. But here is his idea and what it will entail, I am on his ass to register on here too so we can both share ideas and get feedback, and I will most definitely direct him to this thread since he will be able to elaborate on the finer aspects of his part of the campaign.

DA FLUFF:

What can we truly know of the Warp? We know it is an unknowable, untameable plane beyond the existence we know, associated with the powers of Chaos and its foul and misbegotten demons. is that all it is? is that all that dwells beyond its dark and foreboding mystery?

To Brother Artorias, Captain of the noble Blood Angels 6th Company, the Warp was simply the spawning ground of his most hated enemies. To wonder at its secrets was heresy and madness in the making. Poor, poor Artorias, for he would learn more than any mortal the true terror of the warp, and know that more that Chaos could impose their will upon it, or the rest of the cosmos for that matter.

The means by which Brother Artorias found himself at the edge of reality are not important, nor are the lives of his numerous Battle Brothers. Only that Artorias alone survived at the edge of the great, devouring void, beyond life and time and the cosmos themselves. After months, or years perhaps, of otherworldly torture of body, mind, and spirit, he persevered only to be taken by the infamous Black Rage. in the derelict remains of his Battle Barge, he raged and despaired. Eventually the man known as Artorias became no more, giving way to a maddened husk in blood red armor, doomed to eternally haunt the ship amongst the corpses of his former brothers, until something took notice.

The man known once as Artorias was met by a great being, more terrifying and magnificent than the Emperor or Sanguinius by factors of magnitude mortals fail to give justice to. A being whose terrible power made all he had beheld of the the powers of Chaos seem inconsequential and petty. A great being made of cosmos and void and hunger, in the shape of a great many-winged, many-taloned eagle with golden rings about its head. it whispered into his mind, changing him, giving him knowledge meant for no mortal, unlocking powers within him not meant to be realized in the plane of the material.

'Ezkaton' passed the man that was Artorias' lips, and he knew it to be the name of his new Master. He had found new purpose in his encounter, and with his new found knowledge he new a way back to his former home. he knew that the galaxy he once knew was doomed by its own bloodlust and hatred and ignorance. he would go forth as Apolyon to the world he once knew, find a way to bring his Master in tow, and through perdition and desolation cleanse the galaxy, that it may be born anew.

With his new-found power he raised his dead brothers and bathed them in the light of his new Master and brought his derelict battle barge back again whence they came, and thus were the Sons of Perdition born...

the basic idea for the campaign is that Apolyon and his Sons of Perdition (essentially Chaos Space Marines serving a C'tan instead of a Chaos god) return to the galaxy and begin operating subtly in a sector near the Jericho Reach (somewhere in between the Deathwatch and Red Suns home sectors) in hopes of creating a portal through which Ezkaton can be brought forth to eradicate the galaxy of life. they plan to offer up all the beings of their immediate galactic vicinity as sacrifices to open said portal.

the campaign will take place across multiple sectors with a final, climactic conflict taking place in the sector in which the Sons of Perdition arrived.

The Sons of Perdition will utilize Lizardman forces as their grunts (rules forthcoming) and Apolyon will have four Lieutenants meant to act as boss battles. The forces initially anticipated to join the conflict are as follows:

The Good:

Deathwatch

Imperial Guard

Red Suns Space Marines

The Bad:

Lizardman auxilery

The Wild Cards:

Eldar

Now the Red Suns are a chapter of his own making, basically they're an Aztec-themed chapter, and they are descended from the gene-seed of Garviel Loken (and the other loyalist Luna Wolves), the Stone Lords are my own creation (I posted a thread in the Homebrew forum here, check it out!) who are experienced in fighting Necrons, they will most definitely take interest in the events detailed. I am going to figure out what these "lizardmen" are, and I'm somewhat iffy on them, I might try to talk to him about using some other race that is already established to serve their purpose. I am also wondering when and how we should use the Necrons, as it was mentioned earlier in this thread that they are very difficult enemies early on, and I would like to know what your experiences have been fighting them (please indicate the ranks of the players fighting them, effective tactics/weapons to be used against them, and other useful tidbits). Please offer any critique and I will share it with my co-gm!

I think its awesome that Mesoamerica gets some love as they deserve more than they get, but I'm more critical about letting them use traitor gene-seed. I think you should change it to an unknown Primarch or one of the loyalist ones but its your game at the end.

Another idea is that rather than having the Eldar as a Wild Card (and why would they be a Wild Card in this?) you can use the Necrons as that? Nothing says that these guys thinks its a great idea for the galaxy to be emtpied of life and so might well work against these traitor marines and their xenos allies. And it could also make for a less steretypical scenario than with the Eldar suddenly emerging for their own enigmatic reasons TM.

DA FLUFF:

The Good:

Deathwatch

Imperial Guard

Red Suns Space Marines

The Bad:

Lizardman auxilery

The Wild Cards:

Eldar

I think its awesome that Mesoamerica gets some love as they deserve more than they get, but I'm more critical about letting them use traitor gene-seed. I think you should change it to an unknown Primarch or one of the loyalist ones but its your game at the end.

Another idea is that rather than having the Eldar as a Wild Card (and why would they be a Wild Card in this?) you can use the Necrons as that? Nothing says that these guys thinks its a great idea for the galaxy to be emtpied of life and so might well work against these traitor marines and their xenos allies. And it could also make for a less steretypical scenario than with the Eldar suddenly emerging for their own enigmatic reasons TM.

That'd make sense for the Necrons, maybe the ones under Ezkaton were some that did not rebel? I'm thinking that this C'Tan was absent when the Necrons rebelled against them, and had a force with him outside of the galaxy or something along those lines, maybe there are Necrons from some other dynasty that have caught on and realize that Ezkaton has to be thwarted. Something along those lines.

Another question, Greater Daemons, what situations are they dealable with and at what ranks?

Our first session went well too, had my team fight Tau and whatnot, nobody has taken any damage yet and we still need to finish the mission.

Our first session went well too, had my team fight Tau and whatnot, nobody has taken any damage yet and we still need to finish the mission.

Little surprised at this. Tau Hordes are, imo, very deadly with their superior weapons, and their battlesuits aren't slouches either. Especially if the PCs are tied up in CQC with a Kroot mob while the Tau can just shoot freely.

Greater Daemons are...tricky. On the one hand, a single Black Templar might be able to kill them in one turn with their Solo Mode. On the other, they can TPK because they're pretty beastly in both direct and indirect combat. It really depends.

Little surprised at this. Tau Hordes are, imo, very deadly with their superior weapons, and their battlesuits aren't slouches either. Especially if the PCs are tied up in CQC with a Kroot mob while the Tau can just shoot freely.

Greater Daemons are...tricky. On the one hand, a single Black Templar might be able to kill them in one turn with their Solo Mode. On the other, they can TPK because they're pretty beastly in both direct and indirect combat. It really depends.

The Fire Warriors were dealt with early actually, and there aren't any Battlesuits present, look in the funny stories thread, I detailed what happened a bit more.

But right now the majority of my squad is dealing with 2 Knarlocs and a kroot horde, and our assault marine took on 2 shapers and an ethereal, one of the shapers is dead and we plan on capturing the ethereal.

We finished our first mission! And only one of my squad took a wound, just one wound, if our Stormseer hadn't utterly annihilated the fire warrior horde after ramming his bike through their barracks and pushing avenger we might have had a bit more trouble. Instead we just had to deal with Kroot bogging the majority of us down. It was definitely a learning experience for me and I'm going to make the next mission a lot harder. There will be chaos marines, and then my co-gm will take over for a few missions.

I just planned a "survive for x rounds" type of mission where the Kill-Team is being called on to assist Imperial Guard holding out against some Tyranids until reinforcements from the Storm Wardens arrive to help. But the Kill-Team will be called upon because they are in the vicinity of the planet this is happening on and no other help is available. I'll list the waves I wrote out just so I can get an opinion on the difficulty. I can say that the total magnitude of all the hordes they'll be fighting will be 820. But the kill team will be entrenched with a decent amount of guardsmen, stormtroopers, and commissars. I would include IG vehicles but I'm unsure of where to find rules for using those.

My kill-team also is at respected renown so they have access to a nice variety of wargear that will hopefully make fighting some enemies easier for them.