Infinite turns loop (the City needed)

By civril, in Talisman Rules Questions

Few days ago we have discovered combo for infinite turns in Talisman. It looks legal unfortunately, but maybe we are wrong

Requirements:

Easy to get: Book of Spells from a Shop (so just gold is needed)

Harder, but not so hard with a book and 6+ power: Temporal Warp spell

Hardest part: The Scribe (which have to be found in the City)

(And I had all these conditions met)

Power of 4 (to held 2 spells at a time)

And now the bloodest thing - Catch Temporal Warp, but discard another spell card (thanks to a Scribe), gain 3 turns.

On upkeep the book of spells grants us another spell in place of casted one (no matter what is it), cast another Temporal Warp, but discards this new spell - and so on, and so on...

You just can't lose the Scribe, or Temporal Warp spell, nor enough power to held two spells.

Best effective in Crown of Command. ;)

It isn't legal actually. The part that prevents it from working as you describe is detailed in the Scribe, where their ability is limited to being only used once per Round, not Turn. Once you use the Scribe to retain Temporal Warp, you cannot use the Scribe again until all other Players have had a Turn and play has returned to you again.

You can certainly do this combination to take 3 Turns every Round, but not infinite Turns.

Oh, there it is, I've found it, and I was misunderstood once per round.

Thanks a lot, this is still very deadly, but can be stopped :)

You can still only cast as many spells during your turn as the number of spells you started that turn with. Still a pain, but not endless.

I find the scribe to be so over powerful I removed it from my game!

We did the same thing DomaGB. There were just too many issues with it as is.

We play with a friend who was caught cheating and taking the scribe when we weren't looking. He also had a spell book and two spells one of which was shatter. We all quit because we now had no way to win the game since he could shatter any talisman we got rest of game. He also was playing the bounty hunter and had a combo where he could make any combat a standoff and hence win. I house ruled the scribe to require one gold to use. He got the quest reward where you always have one gold if you have none at the start of your turn (probably cheated there too). I have since house ruled the scribe to REQUIRE TWO GOLD TO USE.

We did the same thing DomaGB. There were just too many issues with it as is.

We play with a friend who was caught cheating and taking the scribe when we weren't looking. He also had a spell book and two spells one of which was shatter. We all quit because we now had no way to win the game since he could shatter any talisman we got rest of game. He also was playing the bounty hunter and had a combo where he could make any combat a standoff and hence win. I house ruled the scribe to require one gold to use. He got the quest reward where you always have one gold if you have none at the start of your turn (probably cheated there too). I have since house ruled the scribe to REQUIRE TWO GOLD TO USE.

This is not a good House rule: If you use the spell "enrich" you can probably pay 2 golds and you can obtain all the golds.

This is a better House rule For scribe: When you use the scribe, discard it (he Returns to his office)

Edited by Filippo

Well, I agree that cheaters are a problem.

With only 2 players, the Scribe is not a guarantee to turn up. Plus the initial thrill of the City has worn off - more for my co player than I, but we don't make it the end-all-be-all that we did at first.

We found balance, at least for now!

I changed the last sentence of the Scribe's text to read "You can only do this once per SPELL."

This is a better House rule For scribe: When you use the scribe, discard it (he Returns to his office)

I must admit, this conversation confused me for quite a while. I had to go get my copy of The City and check the Scribe card out to see what it said.

The reason why it was so confusing is that I primarily play the Digital Edition. I only get to play a live game maybe once or twice a year.

In the Digital Edition, you must discard the Scribe after using it.

I hadn't realized that there were substantive changes like that in the Digital Edition.

You can fix the Scribe by changing the last sentence to:
"You can only do this once per spell. "

I must admit, this conversation confused me for quite a while. I had to go get my copy of The City and check the Scribe card out to see what it said.

The reason why it was so confusing is that I primarily play the Digital Edition. I only get to play a live game maybe once or twice a year.

In the Digital Edition, you must discard the Scribe after using it.

I hadn't realized that there were substantive changes like that in the Digital Edition.

The digital edition has made a few changes here and there. The Scribe was changed because of the possibility of causing another player from ever taking another turn (Time Steal), which tends to cause rage amongst strangers playing online who don't know one another.

The other changes are rather small, the Summoning Circle in the dungeon and the Knight and Chivalric Knight not having their alignment based restrictions in combat when Bloodbath is enabled is all I can think of off hand.

I like how DE dealt with the scribe, although removing him from the game altogether is just as acceptable.

with enough gold, you can get anouther infintie turn combo,

pet luna (re roll with fate choose result)

pet panda at start of turn replenish one fate

pet fez when encountering a space that has a draw instruction summon a card to you location from same region

pet terrence move one space per turn if you wish

pet stompy destroy one card before encountering

per ? (cant rember name) you may draw one extra card when instrued to draw cards

on board/zone alter adventur card in outer/middle region

I'm not sure how this would get you infinite turns. At all

I'm not sure how this would get you infinite turns. At all

Me either....plus it would cost you 27 gold for all those pets and you would need to draw those pets in consecutive order and not draw one of the other 6. And you would have to keep these followers. This is so outlandish to attain even if it is a loop, so be it! :-P

with enough gold, you can get anouther infintie turn combo,

pet luna (re roll with fate choose result)

pet panda at start of turn replenish one fate

pet fez when encountering a space that has a draw instruction summon a card to you location from same region

pet terrence move one space per turn if you wish

pet stompy destroy one card before encountering

card in same region alter, use fate to roll a 6 take another turn

pet ? the one that allows drawing of an extra card when on a drawing space

take move to draw space

use fez to summon alter to your space

use stompy to destroy any other card on the space

encounter space

draw extra card

encouter alter

roll alter (use luna if have to) to roll a 6

rinse and repeat until either miss a turn, or loose a battle, or draw hag

Edited by ososober

Bro, you've gotta use paragraphs and punctuation. Still have no clue what the hell you're trying to say.

Regardless this requires 27 gold. Only 30 gold are available in the game unless you are using the Merchants guild ending. I see no way you could ever loop through the city this many times and get the required pets. If you do, so be it....rock n' roll baby!

Wait do you understand the process? I don't get it

Regardless this requires 27 gold. Only 30 gold are available in the game unless you are using the Merchants guild ending. I see no way you could ever loop through the city this many times and get the required pets. If you do, so be it....rock n' roll baby!

That's why in the DE the Alchemist is nastier than normal. The 30 gold cap is needed its not just a rule made for the board-game because of limited tokens, yes it helps with that issue but some other rules cards are designed with the gold cap in mind (hench the Alchemist),

But I'm going off topic. By the time you get the gold buy all the pets someone else is playing the game and has made it to the COC and has won. Plus just because you get the pets does not mean you will keep them either.