Differences between beginner and core...

By armus, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game

Hi everyone!

Just one doubt, question or whatever.

Taking in mind the adventure, dices, maps, etc., included in the beginner game, anyone can tell me, please, the differences between the beginner rulebook and the core rulebook.

I've read the description of the beginner game, but I'm not sure about it. For example, it seems that I should buy the core rulebook to have all the information about the game, but the beginner has a lot of useful information too. Just that the rulebook is included in the core-rulebook, isn't it?

At the end, probably, I'll finish buying both, but if anyone can tell me more about this, please...

Thanks!

There are some very specific differences in the rules.

In the beginner box...

• Piloting (Planetary) and Piloting (Space) are combined into just Piloting
  • All knowledge skills are combined into just a generic Knowledge skill
  • The crit table has been replaced with a 4 tiered crit rules
  • There is no vicious quality, because of the above note
  • There are no equipment/vehicle customization rules, so there are no hard points
  • There is no character creation rules, so the pregenerated characters and their trimmed-down talent trees do not line up with their equivalent talent trees in the CRB.

There are other differences but mostly the ones above are of note.

We only have the Edge of the Empire Beginner Game and Core Rulebook as examples at the moment, but based on those examples, the Age of Rebellion Beginner Game is most likely going to be a slightly simplified and scaled-down version of the rules. "Rules-light," if you will. This is designed to make it easier to learn the game, and as kaosoe said, is probably the primary difference.

That being said, the Beginner Game is going to come with a starting adventure, maps, tokens, a set of dice (that normally MSRP's for $14.95) and some pre-generated characters. There are no character creation rules included in the Beginner Game. The Core Rulebook does not come with dice, tokens, maps, or pre-generated characters, but will most likely include a new starting adventure. I hope that helps.

There are some very specific differences in the rules.

In the beginner box...

• Piloting (Planetary) and Piloting (Space) are combined into just Piloting
  • All knowledge skills are combined into just a generic Knowledge skill
  • The crit table has been replaced with a 4 tiered crit rules
  • There is no vicious quality, because of the above note
  • There are no equipment/vehicle customization rules, so there are no hard points
  • There is no character creation rules, so the pregenerated characters and their trimmed-down talent trees do not line up with their equivalent talent trees in the CRB.

There are other differences but mostly the ones above are of note.

These were the primary differences in the EotE beginner box, I assume this is how the Beginner game is going to play out in the AoR version as well. Hopefully we'll know in a few months.

All-in-all, the Core Rulebook will give you more in depth rules. It gives you a wide variety of situations and rules, has more adversaries, has more options, allows character creation, and lets you delve deeper into the Star Wars universe we all know and love.

From what I've seen as a player of the Beginner Box in Edge of the Empire, and also by flipping through the Beginner Box rules for one of my own hodge-podge games, the Core Rulebook is just better. Better condition from hardcover, lots of artwork, explanations for a large varieties of areas and circumstances, and all kinds of other good stuffs...

I, myself, first doubted getting the Core Rulebook, but just walking in the store and seeing the pure size of it was good enough for me. So yeah, there's a big difference, and you should definitely get both (Beginner Box to learn to play and get everyone familiar with the rules, Core Rulebook to continue from there).

Understand, the Beginner Box is an introduction to roleplaying for someone who is new to the hobby, in addition to an introduction to the system. The Core Rulebook is the entire game without training wheels. (Minus dice.) Considering how you can probably pick up the Beginner Box for $20 at an online retailer like Miniature Market, I think it's definitely worthwhile, even if you plan on getting the Core Rulebook. Ultimately, however, it depends on you, your group, and what you're looking for in a product.

Beginner box cost about 30 dollars and the core rulebook cost about 60. i will wait to pick up the Age of Rebellion core book. But i also remember that there is difference adventure in beginner game and core book.

Beginner box cost about 30 dollars and the core rulebook cost about 60. i will wait to pick up the Age of Rebellion core book. But i also remember that there is difference adventure in beginner game and core book.

It should be said that that's cover price, though. I got the EotE BB for $20 and the corebook for $40 online. At those prices, the BB is simply a slightly-more-expensive dice set with some extra doodads... and who can't use more dice?

Edited by I. J. Thompson

The maps and 'generic opponent' tokens like the TIE fighters are nice, too. I kind of wish they'd do a few general token sets.

The maps and 'generic opponent' tokens like the TIE fighters are nice, too. I kind of wish they'd do a few general token sets.

You aren't the only one.

But it would also be nice to have some "additional options" for the BG boxes.. like an add on with additional folios. Say, a $20 product with 6 more folio characters and a different sheet of tokens?

See, it's my go-to demo mode to use folio characters.

Sorry to necro this thread, but I have a question pertinant to the topic.

Since I'm running an Edge of the Empire game at the moment, my main interest in Age of Rebillion for the immediate future is the expanded gear and starships. Based on the EotE beginner and core rulebooks, how likely is it that the AoR beginner rulebook will have all the gear and starships from the AoE core rulebook?

in my opinion, the beginner box is worth it for just the adventure, maps, tokens and dice....even if you never use the more simplified version of the core rules.

Also, pre-gen characters if you're in a pinch. Heck, use them as NPCs in your next adventure.

Sorry to necro this thread, but I have a question pertinant to the topic.

Since I'm running an Edge of the Empire game at the moment, my main interest in Age of Rebillion for the immediate future is the expanded gear and starships. Based on the EotE beginner and core rulebooks, how likely is it that the AoR beginner rulebook will have all the gear and starships from the AoE core rulebook?

The EotE beginner box had many of the items and a few start ships from the core book, but they didn't share the same rule set so they were not identical between the two sets. It's likely we'll see a similar occurrence with the AoR material.

Mine is a group of Edgies right now too. But this weekend one of our players has a friend visiting and wants to play. The hope is to have the game this Friday and do a one shot for him with it this week.

I just got my hands on it earlier today. The extrapolations from Edge of the Empire are essentially correct. The Ace (Human), Spy (Duros), Engineer (Mon Calamari), and Soldier (Human) careers are all represented in the box, while Commander (Bothan) and Diplomat (Human) are downloadables from the website. The rules are somewhat stripped down to include the ease of play. In addition, as with Obligation the Beginner Box for Egde of the Empire, Duty is basically downplayed, or rather, it's hard-baked into the system without being specifically called out.

I've not checked to see what specializations best represents each career, but the Ace is clearly a pilot... with maybe some Driver mixed in. I can't comment on the others.

To the OP-

If you are really jonesing for the expanded core rules, and cant wait the speculated month or so for the hardback book to release...you could likely find a copy of the soft cover beta rulebook fairly cheap and download the beta test rulings/FAQ. This would at least get you the full talent trees for all of the careers, all of the race options, all of the gear and starships, etc. There may be some changes between the final beta rules and the actual final published book, but they will be relatively minor.