Steve's Perk System for Buying In To Warhammer 3E

By Steve (of the Red Fez), in WFRP Gamemasters

Warhammer-town.png
A year or two ago my local game store approached me about taking on Warhammer 3E. No one in the area was playing it, so I gave some thought as to how I could create a presence for it. The following is the approach I chose, which I refer to as a "perks" approach. it worked very well. I thought you'd all find it interesting.
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd edition: Super-Amazing-Demo-Game Guidelines
As some of you know, I run Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd edition at my local game store (Go4Games in Metairie, Louisiana). At each game my players have a choice to play any of four fully developed demo characters (first come, first served). They each have fully written backgrounds (which you can find here ), pre-printed character sheets, and all of the necessary components to play the game. In short, they’re very well made and are pretty advanced, but there is one down side: they will never get experience points (also called "advances") during play; they’re meant to be the same from one session to the next so that other people can try out the game.
So what’s the big deal? Why are you wasting my precious intertubes to tell me this?!?
Well, most gamers like to see their characters advance and this got me to thinking… I would love to see more role playing games getting played in the store. I would love even more to see people enjoying Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. With that in mind I have come up with an idea to encourage people to take the plunge into this excellent system.
If a player REALLY wants to enjoy this amazing game then they'll want to make their own characters. To do this they'll need to purchase a copy of the "Player's Vault". This will give you all of the components needed to make a character for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay!
No, don't groan or roll your eyes at me! I’m not done yet! As an incentive to buy these awesome products from our beloved Go4Games I will allow any player who purchases a vault (or other items; see below) from the store to gain all sorts of cool bonus stuff!
My GOD, you’re brilliant! Please, tell me how it works!
Simple. Make your character as normal and, once done, you may utilize the career advances (i.e. experience points) detailed below. Oh, and if you don't know how to make a character then let me know. I'll teach you. I even wrote a program in Microsoft Excel to automate the whole thing and get most of it done in a couple of minutes.
The big question to ask is, "which products should you buy?" At this point you might expect a lot of head scratching and me making stuff up on the spot. Well, guess what? I broke it all down in DETAIL because I'm totally on top of this (and I’m sick in bed with nothing else to do)! And, yes, each of these products will get you awesome in-game swag assuming you've got a Go4Games receipt to show you purchased it here (or either Marcus or Mac can personally vouch for your purchase of the product). Oh, and these in game perks are good at EVERY game of Warhammer 3rd edition that I run!
PLAYER'S VAULT
So you bought the vault? This was a VERY good choice! Since you're so **** sexy you may take FOUR free career advances to every character you ever make at my table! This is the equivalent of having gotten experience points for 3 or 4 sessions of play (!) so it's a big achievement, but the great thing about Warhammer is it won't upset the power scale of the game. It simply makes you more diverse.
By the way, to make a character you MUST have either the Player's Vault or the giant Core Set. There really is no way around this. If you've bought the Core Set then we will count it as though you've bought both the Player's Vault and the Player's Guide (meaning you get a total of 6 advances). Before you ask, no, you can't stack your free career advances by buying a core set AND a Player's Vault AND the Player's Guide. Jerk.

Summary of Swag
  • Every character you ever create at my table will receive 4 (!) free career advances
PLAYER'S GUIDE
You've bought a Player's Guide, which means you're clearly smarter than your fellow gamers. Why do I say that? Because this very handy rulebook will teach you everything you need to know about playing this game instead of relying on lies and innuendo. Of course, I teach the rules at every game I run and am remarkably charming when I do it, but this is still extremely useful!
Furthermore, if you've bought a Player's Guide from Go4Games then you'll get 2 free career advances to every character you make at my table. Why? Because it's nice when someone else actually knows how to play. Crazy, right? And yet it's true.
Summary of Swag
  • Every character you ever create at my table will receive 2 free career advances
SIGNS OF FAITH
Normally, when you make a Warhammer character you've got to randomly determine your character's career. This gives you a really small chance of ever getting a priest character and seeing all of your pious hopes and dreams come true.
But wait! If you've purchased this product I will allow you to simply CHOOSE to play a blessing-casting Initiate of whichever faith you like! AMAZING! Oh, and this set comes with a TON of priestly faiths and blessings to choose from, which is awesome.
But that's not all! If you act now I will also throw in a free blessing for your priest character! Yep, every time you make a priest at my table your priest will get a free blessing added to his or her repertoire. We won't count this as an advance, but rather as a gift from your sweet, wonderful GM.
What's that? You don't want to have magic, but wish you could play a Solomon Kane type of character? No problem! You can choose to begin play as a Zealot (basically a religious lunatic). Outside of special story allowances, this is the only way to eventually become a bad-ass Witch Hunter... assuming you survive.
Summary of Swag
  • Instead of randomly determining your career you may simply choose to start play as any basic career included in this set or as a Zealot.
  • If kicking ass for the Lord is more to your taste, you may begin play as a blessing-slinging Initiate of any faith you choose!
  • You will get one free blessing for any priest you make at my table
  • If you play a Zealot, you will be permitted to choose your character's insanity instead of drawing randomly (what, did you think I was kidding when I said they were lunatics?)
Hey, here is an important note you need to read: If you haven't bought the Player's Vault (or the giant Core Set) then you will not have full access to the components needed to make priests! But, hey, why would anyone pass up those four free career advances? Hell, only a FOOL would do that and you're no fool, right?
Heck, I'll type it in all caps so no one says, "What do you mean I still cant play a priest?!? I didn't know! You needed to make it clearer!" is this clear enough...?
BUY THE PLAYER'S VAULT! ;)
WINDS OF MAGIC
So you like magic? Well, magic in Warhammer is both powerful and dangerous (oh, and fun). It lets you cast spells and sometimes gets you and your party killed. Or maybe it just makes your clothing glow in the dark. Or makes it rain frogs. Seriously, it's a box full of crazy with a side of awesome.
So what do you get if you buy this set? As previously stated, during normal character creation you've got to randomly determine your character's career. Since there is literally ONE career that makes you a wizard, your chances are kind of slim. If you've purchased this product I will allow you to simply choose to play an Apprentice Wizard (that's a spellcaster) of whichever order you like! See? Am I awesome?!? Of course this set also comes with a HUGE number of different orders and spells, so you'll have a ball!
Being allowed to play a wizard is a pretty big deal, but I'm going to sweeten the pot even more! If you buy this set then whenever you make a wizard at my table you will get a free spell to cast. We won't count this as an advance, but rather as a gift from your sweet, wonderful GM.
Summary of Swag
  • Instead of randomly determining your career you may simply choose to start play as any basic career included in this set. Furthermore, you may start as any basic career that possesses the "academic" trait except for the Initiate.
  • Feel like dabbling in the art of magic? You may instead choose to start play as a spell-spewing Apprentice Wizard!
  • You'll get one free bonus spell for any wizard you make at my table
Hey, here is the same important note from Signs of Faith: If you haven't bought the Player's Vault (or the giant Core Set) then you will not have full access to the components needed to make wizards! But, hey, why would anyone pass up those four free career advances? Hell, only a FOOL would do that and you're no fool, right?
Heck, I'll type it in all caps so no one says, "What do you mean I still cant play a wizard?!? I didn't know! You needed to make it clearer!" is this clear enough...?
BUY THE PLAYER'S VAULT! ;)
ADVENTURER'S TOOLKIT
I love this **** thing. Basically, it gives you a bunch of brand new careers and cards that really expand your options by a mile! If you buy this set you can choose to play any of the basic careers included in this set without randomly choosing (as is the norm). The only career that you can't choose is the Dwarven Ironbreaker because the designers were clearly insane to make him into a basic career. So there.
I can hear you asking, "But, Steve, is that all I get?"
First of all, no one likes a whiner. Second, no, that's not all you'll get. Your characters will also get another free career advance! If you've already bought the vault and the guide, you'd be starting with a character that has SEVEN free career advances! That's HUGE!
So why do I love this set so much? Well, there are lots of reasons. It really gives your character a huge boost in options, but mainly I love it because it gives you the Rat-catcher career.
Yes, you read that right. The rat-catcher. As in, "the guy who goes out and kills rats". In the sewer, no less. Do you know why I love this guy? Because he gets a whole other character to play with in the form of his "Small but vicious dog". No, I'm serious! The dog gets his own character card, special tricks, and more! I bought this set just to get that dog and I have no regrets and you won't either!
Summary of Swag
  • Every character you ever create at my table will receive 1 free career advance
  • When creating a character, instead of randomly determining your career you may simply choose from any basic career in this set… except for the Ironbreaker of course
BLACKFIRE PASS
So you like Dwarves? Well then you'll LOVE Black Fire Pass. The whole thing is devoted to dwarves and gives you piles of special careers and the such.
What do YOU get out of owning it? Well, firstly, instead of randomly determining your character's career you can simply choose any basic career included in this set or ANY career from ANY set that is exclusively available to dwarves.
Troll slayer, anyone?
Oh, as I mentioned under the Adventurer's Toolkit, I STILL won't let start out as a Dwarven Ironbreaker no matter what you say or do!
Not enough? Okay, how about a rune weapon or rune armour? That's right, you will get to start with one heirloom item of your forefathers which bears one rune of your choice! Try to beat THAT!
Before you ask, yes, that's really, really good.
Summary of Swag
  • When creating a dwarf character, instead of randomly determining your career you may simply choose any basic career that is exclusive to dwarves (except for the Ironbreaker)
  • When creating a dwarf character, you may begin the game with an heirloom rune weapon or rune armor. This item may not be traded or sold, nor will you choose another item over this one as it is your most prized possession.
LURE OF POWER
Lure of Power is an amazing set if you're the kind of player that is interested in steering the story instead of the combat. Where it really shines is when a player loves to roleplay and is interested in either getting a lot more out of social actions or playing a noble character. This set will allow those characters to experience all of the potential intrigue, complexity, and backstabbing found in the so-called "noble" way of life, as well as new ways to lie, cheat, flirt, and intimidate.
If you do want to explore the noble life then let me know and we can make sure to work in a whole noble storyline into the game. Heck, if there are multiple players who buy this set I'd be willing to make an entire adventure about political machinations, courtly intrigue, and double dealing, just like in Game of Thrones!
So what do you get for buying this set? First, you can automatically start play with any basic career that has either the "Noble" or "Social" trait (except for the commoner). Second, when playing a noble you'll be given a retainer--basically, your own, personal sidekick--to join in your adventures! You can choose from any of six different retainers, from a man-at-arms to your own personal valet! Oh, and he isn't just a cardboard cutout. If you want, he'll be played to the hilt by me!
Finally, when making a character with the "Noble" or "Social" trait you will be allowed to take one free career advance. Isn't that friggin' awesome? Yes. Yes, it is.
Mind you, the pile of new stuff they give you here can enhance ANY character! If you want something more than just bashing heads in then this set is really for you (hell, it was one of the first expansions I got for the game).
Summary of Swag
  • When creating a character, instead of randomly determining your career you may simply choose from any basic career that has the “Noble” or "Social" traits (except for the commoner since he doesn't fit the theme of this expansion), or as any basic career that is included in this set
  • When creating a character with the “Noble” trait, you may choose one retainer to join you as a sidekick
  • Every character you ever create at my table with the “Noble” or "Social" trait (except for the commoner) will receive 1 free career advance
OMENS OF WAR
Okay, this is the exact opposite of Lure of Power. This set is all about letting you bash people's heads in. That's basically the whole point. There's not much to say other than, do you want to bash people's heads in? If so then buy this set because now you'll be able to do it RIGHT!
Seriously, this set adds lots of fun stuff and VASTLY increases the combat potential of any character you'll ever make. If you really love being a hardcore fighter then this is for you.
Summary of Swag
  • When creating a character, instead of randomly determining your career you may simply choose from any basic career that has either the “Combat” or "Military" traits
  • When creating a character with the “Combat” or "Military" traits, you may begin play with your choice of: a superior melee/bow/crossbow weapon; OR a pair of pistols; OR a warhorse (only if your character possesses the ride skill). This item may not be traded or sold.
  • Every character you ever create at my table with the “Combat” or "Military" trait will receive 1 free career advance
HERO'S CALL
Okay, this one is odd. Why? Because it is a set that was released exclusively to allow players to advance their characters up to truly epic levels. I'm talking the kinds of heroes you'd see immortalized in a Warhammer miniature. These guys are unreal.
So what about you? You won't be starting out as an epic Titan, right? Right. So what do you get for buying this kit? Believe it or not, this set allows you to play two entirely different races that are not even available in the core set! If you've ever wanted to play a mischievous Halfling or a deadly Ogre then this set is the only way to do it. What about a human from somewhere in the Empire other than the Reikland? Or a Dwarf from a holdfast other than Karak-Azgaraz? Now you can!
Furthermore, if you purchase this set you will be given another free career advance to use as you see fit.
Summary of Swag
  • Every character you ever create at my table will receive 1 free career advance
  • You may choose to create a Halfling or Ogre. This is ONLY possible with this set!
  • You may choose to create a human or dwarf character from different locations. You can now create humans from Averland, Hochland, Middenland, Nordland, Ostermark, Ostland, Stirland, Talabecland, and Wissenland. You can also create dwarves from Zhufbar, Barak Varr, and Karaz-A-Karak. This is ONLY possible with this set!
Edited by Steve (of the Red Fez)

If no one joins you at your table they have no one to blame but themselves :) Cheers.

Well done, I would just add re Lure of Power and retainers, "Do you want your own Baldrick to support your charming Blackadder Fop? He comes in this box (the plastic wrapping keeps his odour in)"

I made a few changes based upon feedback in my current group. I've added the following:

When buying Lure of Power you can now simply choose to start as a character with either the noble or social trait (except for commoner, because it doesn't really fit with the theme of this set) or any basic career that is included in this set. These characters will also begin with one extra advance as well.

When buying Winds of Magic you can now simply choose to start as a basic character with academic trait (except for initiate, since it would conflict with the Signs of Faith perk) or any basic character included in this set.

When buying Signs of Faith you can now simply choose to start as any basic career that is included in this set.

I've been thinking about it and have just put this question to my group, but I thought I'd also get your opinions too. I'm considering adding a perk to Lure of Power for those who don't take a noble and therefore cannot get the retainer:

• If you start as a non-noble character with the "Social" trait, then instead of a retainer you may begin the game with connections in the underworld or city bureaucracy (your choice).

I've made another update, this time to Signs of Faith. Players can now choose to start play as a Zealot (again, I'm surprised I missed this one) and can choose their first insanity.

Pretty sure they call this "Pay to Win" in online gaming circles.

Anything that would give a player an added in game advantage based on his RL currency spend is just wrong , no matter which way you look at it.

Why should a player who just bought a book get an added advantage over someone who prepared a detailed background, outlined their character personality, provided a wealth of plot hooks for the GM to create a great campaign and may even be a better player?

Also, character advancement in WFRP3 is way too fast in comparison to the previous editions and moves more towards High Fantasy because of the need to scale up adversaries so quickly.

I strongly oppose this concept. It is contrary to the spirit of Tabletop RPG's.

I can understand your perspective. At a private table I would be more likely to agree with you, but then again I might not.

If a player joined a group in which the average character had seven advances would the GM start the new payer with zero? This is not a trick question because there is no right answer. If you start them at zero they might feel weak compared to the others and that they can never catch up. If you give them the advances the other players might feel like they didn't earn it and resent you giving everything away.

The bottom line is that everyone should have fun. That's really all there is to it. If everyone understands that, and if you communicate that goal clearly and respectfully, then the above problem should never really come up.

I run these games at my friendly local game store. We use their space to play. I would like for the store to be successful and to continue to welcome roleplayers. If people come in, use the space and spend nothing, the store will of course need to prioritize. They will need to use that space for games that lead to sales or risk going out of business.

This perk system stimulates sales, but only if the game I run is deemed by the players to be a worthy value for admittedly steep cost Warhammer presents. So far they have been extremely positive on that point which is nice. I understand that you would never participate in such a game, but my players understand my reasons and see it as a fair deal.

As to the issue of paying for success, I have no real interest in players starting from scratch in this game. My demo characters (you can find them in another thread) are made with seven advances. Purchasing the game and expansions also leads to roughly seven. This allows my players to start at an equal level to these demo characters and thus gives them an equivalent play experience. I have no problem keeping things balanced and no one has felt slighted.

When I run a demo I provide everything, but my demo characters do not ever gain experience. If a player wants to create a character they must buy their own components. The issue of paying for advantage is already built into Warhammer because a player who buys Omens of War or Lure of Power will have access to things other players will not. However, this doesn't break the game. Instead it merely allows the player to explore a more specific type of character.

You've very clearly stated your opposition to the perks. I understand why. Clearly this is not a game you would want to be associated with. This is perfectly fine. None of that really matters. What does matter is that my players are having a lot of fun and my local store is happy to have us there. So long as those things are true I'm satisfied with the perks I've given.

My phone cut off the last part of my post:

You've said these perks are contrary to the spirit of roleplaying. I believe the spirit of roleplaying is to have fun telling exciting stories with your friends. These perks do no harm to that spirit. If anything, they let you build the exact kind of character you'd like to play.

Some players enjoy games about slaughtering monsters and taking their stuff. That violates the spirit of what I think of as a roleplaying game but it is no less valid of a way to play. If a player gets an awesome weapon in such a game and I don't, we have a rift in power. What does it matter how it happened? If he purchased it, found it, was best friends with the GM, was the first to call dibs... the fact is that all games have the potential for a rift in character power. It is up to the GM to keep things fair and equitable.

From what you've said you seem to feel that the sanctity (for want of a better term) of the game is violated because the players didn't slog through every advance, but I have no interest in forcing them through that slog if they don't want to. My game is fully prepared for characters who are more advanced but will also accommodate weaker characters. Their stories will still be engaging and the players will still have a hell of a good time. To me, THAT'S the spirit of a roleplaying game.

I can understand your perspective. At a private table I would be more likely to agree with you, but then again I might not.

If a player joined a group in which the average character had seven advances would the GM start the new payer with zero? This is not a trick question because there is no right answer. If you start them at zero they might feel weak compared to the others and that they can never catch up. If you give them the advances the other players might feel like they didn't earn it and resent you giving everything away.

The bottom line is that everyone should have fun. That's really all there is to it. If everyone understands that, and if you communicate that goal clearly and respectfully, then the above problem should never really come up.

Fun is the goal, I agree.

I run these games at my friendly local game store. We use their space to play. I would like for the store to be successful and to continue to welcome roleplayers. If people come in, use the space and spend nothing, the store will of course need to prioritize. They will need to use that space for games that lead to sales or risk going out of business.

This perk system stimulates sales, but only if the game I run is deemed by the players to be a worthy value for admittedly steep cost Warhammer presents. So far they have been extremely positive on that point which is nice. I understand that you would never participate in such a game, but my players understand my reasons and see it as a fair deal.

I had already got the impression, as you mention, that your scheme is about keeping your local store funded and your seats there assured.

As to the issue of paying for success, I have no real interest in players starting from scratch in this game. My demo characters (you can find them in another thread) are made with seven advances. Purchasing the game and expansions also leads to roughly seven. This allows my players to start at an equal level to these demo characters and thus gives them an equivalent play experience. I have no problem keeping things balanced and no one has felt slighted.

When I run a demo I provide everything, but my demo characters do not ever gain experience. If a player wants to create a character they must buy their own components. The issue of paying for advantage is already built into Warhammer because a player who buys Omens of War or Lure of Power will have access to things other players will not. However, this doesn't break the game. Instead it merely allows the player to explore a more specific type of character.

If someone doesn't pay for a boxed set they can only play a Pre Gen character that never progresses. Enough said. I disagree that everyone needing to own their own copy of everything is built into the game, eg Core is for "up to 4 Players".

You've very clearly stated your opposition to the perks. I understand why. Clearly this is not a game you would want to be associated with. This is perfectly fine. None of that really matters. What does matter is that my players are having a lot of fun and my local store is happy to have us there. So long as those things are true I'm satisfied with the perks I've given.

You are correct, I wouldn't play in any game where I had to buy books to play my own character or be limited to a Pre Gen that doesn't gain XP.

You've said these perks are contrary to the spirit of roleplaying. I believe the spirit of roleplaying is to have fun telling exciting stories with your friends. These perks do no harm to that spirit. If anything, they let you build the exact kind of character you'd like to play.

This scheme actually creates a "barrier to entry" to those that want to play without having to spend RL money.

I withdraw my comment of it being "Pay to Win" and instead change it to "Pay to Play" . I called it "Pay to Win" when you left me the impression that some at the table would have 7 advances and others none. Now you've explained that it's either a choice of a non-advancing character or purchasing a boxed set it's realistically a case of "Pay to Play" (a non Pre Gen).

I dare say it even alienates people from playing.

A GM requesting players to Pay to Play is contrary to the spirit of playing RPG's.

Some players enjoy games about slaughtering monsters and taking their stuff. That violates the spirit of what I think of as a roleplaying game but it is no less valid of a way to play. If a player gets an awesome weapon in such a game and I don't, we have a rift in power. What does it matter how it happened? If he purchased it, found it, was best friends with the GM, was the first to call dibs... the fact is that all games have the potential for a rift in character power. It is up to the GM to keep things fair and equitable.

You mention power rift, this scheme instils a power rift before play even commences. Pay or take a non advancing Pre Gen. A situation much worse than "best friend of the GM" etc.

From what you've said you seem to feel that the sanctity (for want of a better term) of the game is violated because the players didn't slog through every advance, but I have no interest in forcing them through that slog if they don't want to. My game is fully prepared for characters who are more advanced but will also accommodate weaker characters. Their stories will still be engaging and the players will still have a hell of a good time. To me, THAT'S the spirit of a roleplaying game.

If your game is fun then it shouldn't be a "slog". I don't have an issue with advanced characters, (although I will mention it does make WFRP3 play more like D&D (High Fantasy) than earlier editions).

In summary:

My issue with your scheme isn't about the inclusion of advanced characters.

Absolutely RPG's are about fun and story first.

The "sanctity", as you put it, is violated when you ask players to buy supplements in order to play their own XP-gaining character, or else play an XP locked Pre Generated character.

I do not think it is wrong to expect players to buy into a game. I think it is a basic adult responsibility to pay for your entertainment. I think it is wrong for players to simply expect a GM to foot the cost for everything unless the GM wishes to do so. I have already purchased everything for this game so this isn't an issue, hence the pre-gens.

If it were a game with my close friends then I wouldn't mind sharing my set, but this is a public game. I am introducing the game to people, showing them a fun time, and helping give the game a local foothold. That last part doesn't happen if people don't buy in. Furthermore, if a player ever demanded that I buy things so he can play, I would not invite him to the table. For a player to angrily insist that any expectation for him to either play a locked pre-gen or buy into the game is wrong would be incredibly rude and I'd politely advise him join a different game and introduce him to the other GMs. As you've said, you would never be put in that position because you would never consider playing, which benefits us both.

As to the barrier to entry, so far everyone is having a great time. The rules are taught so there is no barrier there. The pre-gens are very good so no one has felt that they required advancement to have fun, so there is no barrier there either (many players make their first characters to mimic the demo characters). The fact that most of my players choose to buy in and are excited about it tells me there is no barrier with the people I've met. I personally think the game shines at the five to seven advance mark, which is why I set things up the way I have.

To pay for a game is something that any mature adult should be prepared to do. Yes, there will always be people who try to torrent everything and sponge off of their friends books and supplies just as there will be GMs who are okay with this. As I've said, this isn't that kind of game. I have no problem taking the time to teach the game and discuss the game, but I am not about to loan my books out or have them keep my cards from week to week, nor has anyone expected me to do so.

You seem to be extremely angry and offended over what is ultimately the player being given a very flexible choice: they can buy nothing and play a very capable pre-gen that all of my players have come to love (over the past year or two no one has even asked about advancing them), or buy in and control your own destiny. Or you can play a different game altogether (the Pathfinder guys are two tables away).

You've said the sanctity "is violated when you ask players to buy supplements in order to play their own XP-gaining character, or else play an XP locked Pre Generated character." The only reason to feel this specific sanctity is violated is if character advancement is the ultimate goal of your game and if you do not wish to ever actually purchase that game. Luckily, this hasn't yet been a problem. The second demo I ran went a dozen sessions in a continuing story arc that spanned from Nuln to Mordheim. By the end, only two players had bought into the system, but all of the players who used the demo characters had a blast. For them (and myself) it was never about leveling up and becoming super-powerful. It was about the story. That's why they showed up. That's why players are willing to buy into the game and make characters with unique stories that they can shape from scratch.

The current demo went so well that all six of my players wanted to do a campaign (which I'm prepping now). They've all bought in to the system and have no regrets. That doesn't sound like they've hit a barrier to me.

In the end, you don't seem to have any questions about how this works or why people are enjoying it. You've made your decision about it. You said you don't have an issue with the inclusion of advanced characters. You instead seem to be offended at the thought of having to pay for something (forgive me if that sounds harsh but that's what I'm reading). If the perks were ruining the game then no one would play and the perceived problem will ultimately solve itself, right? But that hasn't happened so we will keep gaming until it does.

Tone is hard to gauge, I'm neither angry nor upset nor offended, I'm just voicing an opinion to a scheme on the forum.

You keep mentioning mature adults pay for games, I have no problem with this, the game is made for up to 4 players, you have the box, so someone paid for it already. Also, players can be encouraged to buy things on their own accord without you coercing them. People can still become a part of the WFRP3 community without being coerced into buying supplements so the GM will give them XP. It's not unreasonable to think a player could gain XP without having to fork out cash.

The players can hand their cards back at the end of a session, they don't need to take them home, no one has suggested you loan anything. There is also a Rules Lite section included as written by FFG for the game specifically.

No one said a player would demand the GM buy things.You share what you have, you can't play what you don't have.

I'd laugh in your face if you said to me "come and play my campaign but unless you buy all the stuff you won't get XP" ROFL. Then I'd go play at that other Pathfinder table you mention (despite hating d20 systems) and probably buy a pathfinder book, because they encourage new players not fleece them.

The only person here suggesting piracy is you. What's a torrent?

I can not verify your alleged "success with players" over the internet beyond what you say, I take everything that's said with a grain of salt. You may as well say you're Justin Bieber.

I'm not reading another "War and Peace" longass post here in this thread, I've voiced my disgust at charging for XP and that's all I wanted to do. Perhaps the next step is charging cash per hour to GM?
Be sure to tell your players the game is out of print and no longer supported.
All the best with it. :)
TD out.
Edited by Twodogz

Thank you for your interest in my game.

I've spent thousands of dollars and countless hours over the last few years buying/learning/running systems and providing food for people that show up to my games. If they can't be buggered to spend a few bucks on a Core book or at the very least grab some pdf's then they generally don't get invited back. It's not unreasonable to expect a little buy in.

I think the perks system is not a bad idea in a store environment where you are in fact offering a demo of games available for sale. It makes you a salesman in a way, but I see no wrong here.

Personally, I play with my friends since high school, and we have a great group of mature players. I GM and buy all the stuff, but they buy me beer and everyone's happy. :)

It makes you a salesman.

Or a Pimp? At least make it official and just apply to work for them.

Steve, I'm emailing you regarding some DLSS demos that I have.

It makes you a salesman.

Well, I can see the issue if this was a home game but it sounds to me like this gamification(?) of related purchases is for a very specific environment - a mate's store. I don't think this is about pimping ffg, it's about keeping a venue for those players to go to afloat.

I am not clear on what the spirit of roleplay really is, nor whether it should or shouldnt be monetized.

But people rocking up to a shop weekly for a few hours hosted entertainment and never giving back sounds contrary to spirit of running a business. :)

It makes you a salesman.

Heavy. I think the OP light hearted tone suggests his agenda is to add another level of fun and interest to his -demo- games

Well, I can see the issue if this was a home game but it sounds to me like this gamification(?) of related purchases is for a very specific environment - a mate's store. I don't think this is about pimping ffg, it's about keeping a venue for those players to go to afloat.

I am not clear on what the spirit of roleplay really is, nor whether it should or shouldnt be monetized.

But people rocking up to a shop weekly for a few hours hosted entertainment and never giving back sounds contrary to spirit of running a business. :)

I believe the phrase he prefers is "pretty strong words".

And anyways it's about demo games, inherently static sessions with transient players. It's hard to get people invested in that, so why not reward those who do?. I mean they are playing in a room with walls lined with product...but let's not sully the spirit by making that too blatant... I'd have to laugh in the face of anyone who felt so politicised by game demos that they would demonstratively go play and buy a game they didn't like to make a contrary point. (Actually I wouldn't, I'm not that way inclined, I'd grudgingly admire that stance while still thinking "what a knob")

..Twodogs are you for real? :D

Steve have you actually had anyone react poorly, or is everyone like "...sure, whatever"

Edited by Daedalum

So far I've had one of two reactions from players. They either enjoy playing the demo characters as-is and don't have any interest in buying anything (which is fine), or they get really into the game, buy in and make a character. Either way they have fun.

My current table is made up of five guys who bought a pile of stuff. They asked me to run a campaign for them (at least ten sessions, but probably more). They made characters last session and we played the first "100% player made character" game tonight. It was a lot of fun.

The first time I ever encountered any push back, much less rage, was here. Up to now everyone I've played with has either been happy to play for free or has enjoyed strategically building their characters with their perks. It surprised me that there could be so much venom. Regardless, we still have fun.

As for my getting hold of all of the sweet, SWEET FFG WARHAMMER CASH, well clearly this is a fiscally responsible plan. There are literally SEVERAL dollars to be made here. Finally, I can buy that yacht.

Actually, I do demos all the time of a variety of games that I like. I took up Warhammer because my store asked me to do it and I'm a Warhammer fan from the 80's. The guys who run the store are nice. They needed help. I helped. it really is that simple. They asked me to help get the game off the ground because they thought it was a good product. My big payoff is in a soda at the table and seeing people enjoy themselves.
Seriously, if you think there is money in demoing then you clearly don't understand the way this works. The store gets the tiny margin on product. If they don't, they go bye-bye. If you want to make money you could demand everyone buy stuff off of you, but then the store would kick you out (and rightly so).
Ah, why bother trying to clarify? This isn't about being reasonable, it's about yelling. I'll just keep running my games and planning to sail to Bora-Bora on a flotilla of Adventurer's Toolkits.

With regards to becoming an employee via running a game in a store in Louisiana (well known as a hotbed for role-playing games)? Of COURSE I expect FFG will have scouts in my store. Applying for a job with a resume is for suckers. This way is much faster.

P.S. Emirikol, I'd love to get that demo stuff from you. Can you send it to me?

I don't have time for freeloaders or prima donna players. If they want to campaign with us, they'd better be ready to buy the books and contribute. If my players don't like someone, they're out. I've had this discussion on RPG.net, but players aren't hard to find and hence, I'm sorry, but don't really count in the equation except to either contribute to the fun or go home. Meanwhile, GM's are hard to find. GMs that are actively attempting to grow the hobby are even harder to find and are the most valuable of all.

Edited by Emirikol

Just to add my opinion: your perk system sounds great Steve. :)

Thanks. :)