Scatter and Line of Sight

By Dark Bunny Lord, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Ok a quick question. Today we where playing a 3 player game, orcs vs chaos vs high elves.
The Orkplayer flung his rock lobbers attack at the Chaos players Flamer of Tzeench and rolled a miss and a scatter, there was another disk within short range (a mage) however the mage was in the forest terrrain that blocks line of sight with no part of the disk exposed from the forest. Now normally I know that the mage could not be targeted because the player had no line of sight to them, however would the scatter die then be able to scatter into the forest and hit the mage since it was the closest disk within short range and was not the target of the attack?

I would say it can be target of scatter since scatter is more of an accident attack then intentional. And since you always apply scatter i would deal the damage.

i agree with garhan. remember, being into a forest doesn' block linea of sight, you must Be completely behind it. if you overlap a foresta you gain cover' but you are in plain sight

Edited by Ileopsoas

i agree with garhan. remember, being into a forest doesn' block linea of sight, you must Be completely behind it. if you overlap a foresta you gain cover' but you are in plain sight

The disk in the scenario was completely in the forest terrain, ie no edge could be reached without passing through the forest terrain by the targeting disk. So it did block line of sight as no line of sight could be made (not that I disagree with Garhans opinion on the matter, just correcting that bit of your statement here).

The question was posed simply because it seemed somewhat silly that you could hit a target you normally could never even fire at to begin with simply by bouncing your shot off another nearby target.

Edited by Dark Bunny Lord

Well, line of sight isa only blocked if both disks are NOT overlapping any part of the terrain (obviously total overlap is still overlap ) ;-)

this is valid both in Warhammer game and in real life: if i am using a catapult and aim to anything, then when i shot The odds or something i miscalculated could Bering The rock on something i could,nt see!

Edited by Ileopsoas

Make sure to double check the diagram in the book. Line of site is only blocked if the terrain stands between the two units, as Ser Folly and lleopsoas mentioned.

Think of it this way, if you are on the other side of the woods, the thickness of the woods makes it so that an opponent can't see you, but once you are in the woods, they may be able to see you around some of the trees, but those same trees have a chance at stopping incoming arrows, so you loose the blocked line of site and gain cover.

***Edit, not sure why this didn't post originally.***

Edited by MechaBri.Zilla

you have to be on the other side of the forest to have line of site blocked. if you are in it you can be seen. Also just because I throw a rock at my friend does not mean I wont miss and hit another person I did not know was there. The rock isn't going to magically miss them just because I was unaware of their existence. It seems sill that you would not be able to hit something just because you were unable to see it. That does not make it invincible, just out of sight

this is valid both in Warhammer game and in real life: if i am using a catapult and aim to anything, then when i shot The odds or something i miscalculated could Bering The rock on something i could,nt see!

Did not think of it like that, makes sense.

you have to be on the other side of the forest to have line of site blocked. if you are in it you can be seen. Also just because I throw a rock at my friend does not mean I wont miss and hit another person I did not know was there. The rock isn't going to magically miss them just because I was unaware of their existence. It seems sill that you would not be able to hit something just because you were unable to see it. That does not make it invincible, just out of sight

True, but arrows and rocks don't exactly phase through solid objects either. Regardless I do accept lleopsoas explanation of the line of sight being merely do to sight not so much physical incapability.

I do however take one issue with something you said here, it says no where that the disk has to be "on the other side of the terrain", in fact even the diagram disagrees with that in the los rules. It says, and I quote from page 13 under "line of sight":

"If a straight line can be traced from any portion of one of the disks to the other WITHOUT INTERSECTING THE TERRAIN , the disks have line of sight to each other"

Ergo a disk fully within the terrain could not have a direct line of sight drawn to it unless the other disk was also partially on or in the terrain. However since the target was the only one overlapping the terrain and no edge of it could have a straight line drawn to it without crossing the terrain it would benefit from los blocking.

Edited by Dark Bunny Lord

True, but arrows and rocks don't exactly phase through solid objects either. Regardless I do accept lleopsoas explanation of the line of sight being merely do to sight not so much physical incapability.

I do however take one issue with something you said here, it says no where that the disk has to be "on the other side of the terrain", in fact even the diagram disagrees with that in the los rules. It says, and I quote from page 13 under "line of sight":

"If a straight line can be traced from any portion of one of the disks to the other WITHOUT INTERSECTING THE TERRAIN , the disks have line of sight to each other"

Ergo a disk fully within the terrain could not have a direct line of sight drawn to it unless the other disk was also partially on or in the terrain. However since the target was the only one overlapping the terrain and no edge of it could have a straight line drawn to it without crossing the terrain it would benefit from los blocking.

Okay just read one sentence more at the same section directly after your quote:

"Terrain does not block line of sight to and from a disk that is overlapping it , only to and from disks that are outside its bounds."

Exactly my point... :P