Favorite Kingdom

By Necronis, in Age of Conan

After playing, reading the kingdom cards, solo runs, etc., by now I assume everyone has decided that they like a certain Kingdom more than the others. Be it from winning, the fluff or Kingdom cards or just the look of the board. I know our group has. I was wondering what other players thought. My pick is Stygia. Both with having the South to romp around in, an uninvadable Kingdom nothern border, characters that raise extra troops and nullify Conan, and being able to mess with other Kingdoms playable cards it has made the 3 player games even more fun.

Stratagy wise its pretty secure below Stygia with both coastal regions and savage provinces. Plus you border Central Hyboria for those objectives. All in all I hope I can pick them for the 3-4 player games.

I love hyperborea with all their Magik kingdoms cards! And it is rarely attacked in it's borders!

A great many combinations cards which are awfull for the opponents! gran_risa.gif

Don't have the game yet, it's on my to-do (or to-buy) list, but I'm partial to Stygia for purely thematic reasons. Whether there is any gameplay effects that will back this up, I don't know. There is just something about grinding the world under the yoke of Set gran_risa.gif .

Dam said:

Don't have the game yet, it's on my to-do (or to-buy) list, but I'm partial to Stygia for purely thematic reasons. Whether there is any gameplay effects that will back this up, I don't know. There is just something about grinding the world under the yoke of Set gran_risa.gif .

remember you die in the first movie! lengua.gif

grouik said:

Dam said:

remember you die in the first movie! lengua.gif

Hey, at least I had a cool, deep, bass voice gran_risa.gif .

Stygia has a very strong genre theme. With characters from the books beyond Thoth-Amon like Thutmekri, the Winged Boat of the Styx and the Black Magicians of Kheshatta Howard fans will recognize the feel of this forbidden kingdom. My only boo-hoo is Princess Akivasha (the vampire) wasnt included. But the Serpent Ring of Set is!

From where it sits it has the southern provinces to stomp around in and a very secure northern border. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

I have played the game three times and have been Turan twice and Stygia once. I have reviewed the decks for the other KIngdoms as well. Stygia offers a lot of advantages territorily and through the use of cards. I love the fact that Turan poses the main threat, but still has to deal with Aquilonia and Hyperboria.

The first game was really just a learning session, so I can't really count that towards my Kingdom preference, but in the game where I played Turan a second time, I realized how challenging it is. It really doesn't have any neutral territories to build back into. In a recent two player game, Aquilonia had blocked me in by the first turn of the second age. I really had to struggle to make any headway and spent nearly the entire second age reclaiming provinces I had been booted from.

At the beginning of the third age, my only hope at winning was an attempt to crown Conan, which I successfully did. However, unlike our previous game where had won, in this game, I lost by a mere 4 empire points. If I had managed to nab another couple of monster adventure tokens, it would have been the 5 points I needed for victory.

Turan is the Kingdom Ive played the most. I like the nomad horde feel and the deck is tailered great with the Hyrkanian Archers. ambushes and court intrigue. It comes in second by me. Most of my fighting is around Koth and Zamora.