How to use Decrepit Wizard?

By Gumley, in CoC Rules Discussion

Greetings elder ones!

I have a question regarding the Decrepit Wizard as I believe we may have been playing it wrong w ith regards to the cards ability...

Disrupt: Discard a resource on a domain to cancel an effect just triggered that targets a character you control.

Now, many of the cards can be quite specific about what you are to do, but this one to us seems vague. We have been playing this as you can discard a resource from any domain, so naturally you target another players - unless you want to release cards to then play from you discard pile of course.

Much in the same way as you'd use Aliki Zoni Uperetria's ability...

Response: After Aliki Zoni Uperetria exhausts to commit to a story, choose and drain 1 domain

Is there an official ruling on this card? Have we been playing it right? How do you play it?

Any help is appreciated :)

Edited by Gumley

I am very sure that it is the player that controls and activates Decrepit Wizard that also discards the card.

Thank you,

in hindsight, reading back over what I wrote, the word "discard" seems to stand out now. As you can only discard what you yourself have.

I'm such a numpty

This is correct. The FAQ (Section 2.13) makes this clear:

You may only pay costs with cards you control. You may never exhaust a card, drain a domain, drive insane, sacrifice, or otherwise use or alter the game state of any card you do not control, as the means of a paying the cost of an effect.

Thank you,

in hindsight, reading back over what I wrote, the word "discard" seems to stand out now. As you can only discard what you yourself have.

I'm such a numpty

That's not the decisive clue, though. Costs are always indicated by the word 'to'. That's the difference between Decrepit Wizard and Aliki:

Discard a resource on a domain to cancel an effect just triggered that targets a character you control.