Universal Specialization - Recruit

By Yivrael, in General Discussion

Sorry if I missed it, but is this staying in the game or was it just being tried out? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Yivrael

Right now, we don't know.

I'd say odds are good it'll show up in the final product. But even if it doesn't, you've got the info for the spec from the Weekly Beta Updates, so it can still be used if the GM permits it.

It's a good all-purpose spec especially for getting more career skills. Nothing game-breaking.

It's a good all-purpose spec especially for getting more career skills. Nothing game-breaking.

I agree, I'm trying to figure it out if I like it.

It will allow non-combat characters a chance to buy more career skills.

I think of it as basic combat training. and should stay

I can't help wondering if I'm missing something here.

20 points if its your character's first extra career speciality plus an extra 5pts for either of the training talents or a total of 30 to have pretty much most of the combat skills if you went for a career with absolutely no combat skills instead of buying them as non-career skills.

Haven't looked closely at the rest but it feels a bit of a waste.

I wonder if they'll go a similar route with the force and destiny book careers?

Edited by copperbell

I don't like it at all. I feel like it bypasses the reason to get other specs and that's to expand on your skills and abilities. It feels like they went "Oops, a lot of the military skills are picked up in the Careers and not the specs. How do we fix that?"

I don't like it at all. I feel like it bypasses the reason to get other specs and that's to expand on your skills and abilities. It feels like they went "Oops, a lot of the military skills are picked up in the Careers and not the specs. How do we fix that?"

I agree. I don't like a specialization that isn't specialized on doing something. This feels like an unnecessary patch.

I don't see that.

In fact, only one of my players has taken the Recruit Universal Spec. And that was the commando!

With 400 points of experience down, most of my players are finishing their first talent tree, and several are on second. Specializations are really about the talents, as talents are actually more important than skills in defining who and what the character is.

My players are picking and choosing their paths through the talent trees - they are often not completing the tree, simply moving on once they hit dedication

Then again, most of my players have multiple skills at 3+, and several have skills of 5.

Its a pretty concept. Its the typical baker that works on a pacific town where Rebels hide and Empire decide to attack. After/during the destruction, Rebels rescue as so many civilians as they can and because of revenge/duty/else the bakerman bagins to be trained as a Rebel.

I like the Recruit idea concept :D

Buying into a new spec should be more appealing from a "get these Talents" perspective than a "get these Class abilities" perspective, imo.

I can't help wondering if I'm missing something here.

20 points if its your character's first extra career speciality plus an extra 5pts for either of the training talents or a total of 30 to have pretty much most of the combat skills if you went for a career with absolutely no combat skills instead of buying them as non-career skills.

Haven't looked closely at the rest but it feels a bit of a waste.

To be honest I like the conceit of the tree but it does seem lackluster to buy into it, so I gave it away free (my players were not total Rebel newbies) and said it wouldn't count for future specialization purchase costs.

To be honest I like the conceit of the tree but it does seem lackluster to buy into it, so I gave it away free (my players were not total Rebel newbies) and said it wouldn't count for future specialization purchase costs.

I thought about doing this should my group ever join the rebellion in any serious capacity. Just give them all access to this talent tree for free and it not count against you in the future as you described. It sounds like it didn't really break your game.