Dealing damage in scrums

By Ser Folly, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Hi there, I need some clarification. I've just browsed this forum but only found insufficient answers to my question...

Consider the scrum from p. 20 rulebook. Does the River Troll (after damaging the Spearmen with his counter strength) attack Teclis with his attack strength later in the resolution of the melee?

The example doesn't mention that and the rules say on page 9: "Some engagements involve multiple attackers and defenders. Each disk can only deal melee damage to one enemy in an engagment."

Judging by the rules wording and the scrum example, I decided that the Troll cannot deal damage to Teclis (to stick with that example) as he/it already dealt damage to the Spearmen.

But now I'm a little confused because I read a few posts (I read this forum and BGG) that suggest you can deal damage both ways?????

Any enlightenment?

Unfortunately, the example is incomplete and it is causing the confusion. This is really the bread and butter of Diskwars. When in a scrum, a disk can deal damage once as the defender and once as the attacker (maybe to multiple disks in the same engagement if it has Frenzy).

Thanks for the reply, but ...

.... This is really the bread and butter of Diskwars. When in a scrum, a disk can deal damage once as the defender and once as the attacker (maybe to multiple disks in the same engagement if it has Frenzy).

I understand that this makes fights way more dynamic and cool...but what about the rules on page 9???

On what basis do you come to this conclusion when both example and rules seem to say otherwise...

or am I missing/misinterpreting something?

It is difficult to know what rules in page 9 you are referring to. I will quote what I think is causing your confusion:

"Some engagements involve multiple attackers and defenders. Each disk can only deal melee damage to one enemy in an engagement. Starting with the attacking disks, each player chooses which enemy disks his disks damage, if necessary."

Here, it says that a disk can only cause damage to one enemy in an engagement. This does not say that it can only cause damage to one enemy is a scrum.

If you look at the scrum section that follows this, it says that a scrum is resolved from top to bottom, one engagement at a time. So, as long as a disk is applying damage only once as an attacker and once as a defender, it is not breaking the rules in page 9 since it is a per engagement and not a per scrum requirement.

This is exactly the same as the rules for the original Diskwars that was around from 1999 through 2001 and this is the way it was played in tournaments.

If all the threads have not convinced you so far, it might be worthwhile emailing FFG. Today is Sunday but I bet you will get an answer tomorrow.

If all the threads have not convinced you so far, it might be worthwhile emailing FFG. Today is Sunday but I bet you will get an answer tomorrow.

Well thank you, you did so. I don't have to bother FFG support ;-)

You were also quite right about what was confusing me. Engagment doesn't stand for the complete pile (that is called the scrum). Engagment means one layer or level of a scrum, with the scrum par definitionem being made up of several engagments on top one another. Did I get that right?

The rule we both were quoting is supposed to mean that if a disc pins two other discs at the same time/on the same level (or vice versa) it can deal damage only to one of the discs.

Thanks again.

Yes, an engagement is one level of a scrum. I am glad that the question is answered for now.