The Jawa Twist

By Rogue 4, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

Here is a fun idea I had that I want some input on how to make it better. I have playtested this for a few games and it is quite effective. Plan: Grab as many cards as I can through the capture mechanic and make the opponent waste a lot of cards in the edge battle with 9 twists. Hold the force with the Merc Ship and race to the finish. Once Slave 1 is out, you should have at least 1 captured card at each objective (thanks to Utinni!)and blow stuff up for the win!

There are card drawing mechanics (Counsel of the Sith obj, Dark PreCognition), prevention of a lot of objective damage (Icetromper, Corrupt Official, Desolation of Hoth, The Killing Cold obj.), and tactics to hold down the heavy hitters and allow me to control the Balance of the Force.

Scum & Villiany Affliation

Lucrative Contract x2

The Tatooine Crash x2

Carbonite Transport

Counsel of the Sith x2

The Killing Cold x2

Reconnaissance Mission

Resources:

Scum - 14

Sith - 6

Neutral - 4

Unit Damage - 20

Blast Damage - 2

Edge enabled unit damage - 2

Edge enabled blast damage - 4

Edge enabled tactics - 8

So fire away with input, thanks!

JS

Edited by Rogue 4

Whatever you guys do, don't all comment at once! I guess this isn't as good as I thought.....

It's an interesting concept, though you'll quite possibly still have trouble with edge battles even with 9 copies of Twist of Fate. You'll still need something to win the repeat edge battle with, after all. My main concern is in resource match though. There's a pretty good risk of having no Sith resources available at some point during the course of the game (especially since Counsel of the Sith will be top priority for the LS).

Agréed on the ressource problem.

As you may have more cards than your opponent, and he will go first ( if no edge(1) units) when attacking, you just have to force him to discard all his hand so you can twist it and win edge for they can't play cards anymore.

And if not, Désolation of Hoth got 3 peeps

But you'll have a hard time blasting objectives, so you may end up loosing tiebreakers.

And may be 11 fate cards is too much

There are only 9 twists.

So far it has not lost. Played very well against some sleuth decks. Beat fast speeder decks and held its own against Jedi decks trying to contain force.

Does it need work, yes. Is it tier one? Not sure. It does need more blasts, so I am toying with that. That is the biggest draw back I have now.

Right now it's fun.

9 Twists but 2 ToO and a HoB. I've built a crazy number of Fate cards deck before and it was fun but would have turns where I really wished that I had drawn something else instead of 3 fate cards.

I actually have not had more than 2 twists in my hand at a time. The ToO won me a game (2 Jawas attacking an objective that only had 1 damage left, he thought I wouldn't get unopposed).

Most of the time if my objective draw is anything like this:

Recon

Counsel

random S&V obj (it would be great if one is a Tat Crash)

I keep the first two and my hand recycles pretty good (along with a lucky dark precog would be nice too). Otherwise I keep a Counsel and two S&V. With the advisors, I can play any Sith stuff.

still only 2 losses out of 20 games.

Problems: Sabateurs (sp?) eating my resource enhancements in the Sleuth deck prevents me from playing Slave 1 till I get an Advisor out

Rebel Assaults are not a cool card, not is Let the Wookiee win.....

Have you tried adding "A price on their heads"? For 1v1 it adds a great card for edge battle, Punishing One allows you to move captured cards around (No need to flip the Carbonite transport objective) and last but not least the Trandoshans make up for good blockers

Play this against it and let me know:

Jedi

2xHero's Resolve

2xLast Defense of Hoth

2xHan

2xChewie

2xFalcon

Or come up for the Madness league on Sunday and Ill play it against you =)

I will come up on Sundays soon once we are done with Risk Legacy. Have you built my deck and playtested it? What are you opinions? Advice would be appreciated, opinions are fine (negative or positive, you can't hurt my feelings)

There's lots of damage prevention but none of it is lasting. I fear the vehicle heavy decks will take care of this quite easily. It eliminates the threat of icetrompers. And if you use corrupt officials or the killing colds ability you are thinning your troops on the board. A vehicle deck could just take a turn or two building up a force and then take out objectives one turn at a time.

I also wouldn't count on the desolation of hoth or the killing cold too much because you only have two hoth objectives XD.

Could also have real problems with Jedi decks that can hold the force, if it takes 11 turns on the dial you'll be overwhelmed by the end.

You also run the chance of resource starving yourself. Say your opening 4 objectives are all scum, it's nice that you have a lot of neutral or 0 cost cards but they will only get you so far.

I will come up on Sundays soon once we are done with Risk Legacy. Have you built my deck and playtested it? What are you opinions? Advice would be appreciated, opinions are fine (negative or positive, you can't hurt my feelings)

I agree with all the comments thus far. You have a lot of tactics icons and twists to be sure, but a patient LS player could pretty easily hold the force on their turns and mass up until you wouldn't be able to handle the sheer number. APD could be quite bad, especially if they get Hoth Ops.

I have not played this specific build, but I had played a similar one which had 7 Twists (it swapped lucrative contracts for Emprah).

An alternative way to attack the deck a bit more directly would be to simply ignore twist entirely, which is what the deck I listed is likely to do. It will be very difficult for you to win early edge battles since Last Defense can be used again and again every time you twist, which completely trivializes a vast amount of the power. A Hero's Resolve will also cause issues since it will mean the LS can win edge with a single card a lot of the time. If you lose the edge even once, you will likely lose the game, since the Jawas will retreat and the rest of your units will likely be killed.

Also, any direct damage pods would be an issue I would suspect. Han's react, Heat of Battle (assuming they get past the twists), Let the Wookie Win, etc could all be devastating, since a vast majority of your good tactic icons have only 1 hit point and you have no way to protect them. Admiral Ackbar is also hilarious, and seeing a lot more play these days.

With Zach writing that article, I hope some people now will see why I built this deck. It helps flow the DS really well. While it does somewhat for the LS too, I believe like Zach said, because of Recon Mission, Counsel of the Sith, and Dark Precog I have more cards coming my way so I will see more cards.

This deck is still doing well, but has lost to some (mainly because I keep playing it).

Edited by Rogue 4

Card draw doesn't fix any of the issues brought up:

-Resource matching - I guess toss the cards you can't play?

-Direct damage - I guess replace all your dead units?

With Zach writing that article, I hope some people now will see why I built this deck. It helps flow the DS really well. While it does somewhat for the LS too, I believe like Zach said, because of Recon Mission, Counsel of the Sith, and Dark Precog I have more cards coming my way so I will see more cards.

This deck is still doing well, but has lost to some (mainly because I keep playing it).

You only get to cycle cards efficiently if you attack/are attacked in this deck. Which is why being patient is a strong strategy against things like this. People are always way too eager to attack Sith. I prefer to punish them for doing what they do. You are holding 3 twists? How about you get to eat it for a turn. Would you like to pitch one to draw more? Great one less for me to worry about. If you attack, it really only helps the LS since even derpy blockers will force you to lose cards on your turn, which makes it much easier to beat you on the LS turns.

Bottom line is if you are packing this many fate cards (over 8ish), you will have many turns where if you are not attacking/attacked, your card cycle will suffer. Add on top of this the potential for the Jawas to clog up your hand, and its fully possible to have turns where you draw fewer than 3 cards.

'Normal' decks don't struggle with this since they are typically playing cards regardless and even if they keep some cards over from a turn, they likely are events/units which could still be played otherwise.

Also, it is pretty obvious that you want to attack the Sith/neutral Objectives against this. The scum ones do nothing really and can be protected by the officials. The Sith ones do things and cannot be protected.

Card draw doesn't fix any of the issues brought up:

-Resource matching - I guess toss the cards you can't play?

-Direct damage - I guess replace all your dead units?

I have not ran into a resource matching problem often, but if I do I ditch it in the edge battle. With so many twists I need some cards to win the edge and I use these cards in that situation.

The wookiee deck is stupid and rebel assault is unavoidable, so yeah just replace them with more wienies.

You only get to cycle cards efficiently if you attack/are attacked in this deck. Which is why being patient is a strong strategy against things like this. People are always way too eager to attack Sith. I prefer to punish them for doing what they do. You are holding 3 twists? How about you get to eat it for a turn. Would you like to pitch one to draw more? Great one less for me to worry about. If you attack, it really only helps the LS since even derpy blockers will force you to lose cards on your turn, which makes it much easier to beat you on the LS turns.

Bottom line is if you are packing this many fate cards (over 8ish), you will have many turns where if you are not attacking/attacked, your card cycle will suffer. Add on top of this the potential for the Jawas to clog up your hand, and its fully possible to have turns where you draw fewer than 3 cards.

'Normal' decks don't struggle with this since they are typically playing cards regardless and even if they keep some cards over from a turn, they likely are events/units which could still be played otherwise.

Also, it is pretty obvious that you want to attack the Sith/neutral Objectives against this. The scum ones do nothing really and can be protected by the officials. The Sith ones do things and cannot be protected.

I do attack with the Jawas every turn I can. I normally win the edge place tactics and control the force. I do not attack every turn. nor do I have to once I get to around 5-7 on the dial. Slave I comes out and blows objectives up.

Don't forget I am screwing with what you are wanting to do as a LS player with Tat Crash and Utinni!

This deck is not super Tier 1, but it is effective. HAve you built and tried it yet?

So I tried it.

Against newer players or LS players who overextend on their first few turns it worked well.

Against players who took the force and built an army for a turn or two it gets tromped. Han's S&S pod pretty much tears this deck up between all the one health units and swindled. Target strike was also killer as was light saber deflection. Tat crash often becomes a liability, one extra health isn't that much and if they can blow it up they get lots of new cards for the next edge battle. I still think this deck is weak against a skilled LS player.