Rules Question - Command Cards

By AVJax, in Warhammer: Diskwars

The rules seem to indicate that when you pick a command card you have to activate the exact number of disks the card indicates.

What happens if you don't have enough disks left can you still use a card?

So, you only have 1 disk left on the field that isn't activated, and your command card has a value of 3?

You still play the card and activate the 1 disk. You lose the other 2 command points. Unless you spend them to bring someone out of reserve.

You always MUST spend all of your activation points on the cards you play.

the ONLY exception is you have no disk not already activated IN PLAY left. So if you hold someone in reserve, when all of your diks in play are either activated or pinned, you can CHOOSE to spend an activaation point to reinforce it or let the point waste.

REMEMBER: you must play your strategy card even if your disk are all activated if your opponents has some unactivated disk left, even if all those points will be wasted.

You always MUST spend all of your activation points on the cards you play.

the ONLY exception is you have no disk not already activated IN PLAY left. So if you hold someone in reserve, when all of your diks in play are either activated or pinned, you can CHOOSE to spend an activaation point to reinforce it or let the point waste.

REMEMBER: you must play your strategy card even if your disk are all activated if your opponents has some unactivated disk left, even if all those points will be wasted.

If you play a command card with no disks to activate, can you still use the ability? Example: I play Rally when I have no more disks that I can activate. Can I use the ability to remove an activation token from a target disk? Can I then activate that disk on the same turn, or wait for a subsequent turn?

Yes, yes and you can activate immediately.

Thanks. From the Combat Abilities wording in the rulebook I thought it worked this way, but I wanted to make sure.

Wait what? I thought it said very clearly that you couldn't play command cards if all of your disks where pinned or activated.

Page 8 under the Discard Command Cards section (step 3), "Players then return to the choose command card step unless all of their disks are activated or pinnned".

Wait what? I thought it said very clearly that you couldn't play command cards if all of your disks where pinned or activated.

Page 8 under the Discard Command Cards section (step 3), "Players then return to the choose command card step unless all of their disks are activated or pinnned".

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If all disk for all players are pinned or activated, then you can move on to Melee phase. If even one player has any disks that are NOT pinned or activated, ALL players must choose and reveal command cards.

exact

If all disk for all players are pinned or activated, then you can move on to Melee phase. If even one player has any disks that are NOT pinned or activated, ALL players must choose and reveal command cards.

exact. so consider this : you keep playing cards until alla disks in game are activated

Well if it said "all disks for all players" then yeah but it says "unless all of THEIR disks are activated or pinned", their I take as suggesting ownership of each individuals disks. I mean it kind of makes sense, why would you be able to play command cards if you have no units to command.

I think I'll wait for the FAQ on this one though our group didn't seem to disagree on this point at all thus far.

Edited by Dark Bunny Lord

I mean it kind of makes sense, why would you be able to play command cards if you have no units to command.

It makes sense because you could for example play a command card that has an effect that lets you remove an activation token. You could then activate that disk in the same round. Other possible effects are magical attacks on command cards. I know from my first game, that these can be very decisive as all but wound tokens (so damage too) are removed at the end of a round.

Edit: If you're talking about it making sense on a thematical/realism level, I have to agree. BUT I think I could come up with a bunch of unrealistic rules in the game which are there to keep it fast paced.

Edited by Ser Folly

I play Rally when I have one disk that I can activate. Can I use the ability to remove an activation token from that disk after it moved? Can I then activate that disk on the same turn?

I play Rally when I have one disk that I can activate. Can I use the ability to remove an activation token from that disk after it moved? Can I then activate that disk on the same turn?

Nothing in the rules prevents that. So, yes.

Edited by Bright Wizard