Game length

By AussieJedi, in Relic

So i have played only a handful of games and the length seems to be on my friends minds when we play. If you're character dies and you then start again it can take much longer that the recommended 120 mins. I played a game last night and it took just on four hours with two new people playing and two who had played a few times before.

Does this sound normal, or is my group of players just a slow group?

Help

We've found that we need to hurry things along for the game length to stay reasonable. It's not a function of AP, but if we play "casual" then it takes too long for us. :(

But we love it!

So 5 person game in 4 hours...maybe a little long. Sounds fun either way.

The length of "Talisman"-like games are always going to be higher than other board games.

BUT I do not see this as a problem. Just like saying that a game like " Jungle speed " is too short.

These are not problems, they are part of the identity of the game.

However, you can shorten the gameplay considerably and increase player enjoyment by doing the following:

1- roll 2 dice for movement and choose whichever one you want. This will allow you to complete missions much faster and you are less likely to die because when you are low on life, rolling 2 dice and choosing 1, you are more likely to land on those corner spaces where you can gain more life.

2- lower the trophy level from 6 to 5 to get a relic and upgrade level. You will then find that in a few turns, players get their first relic. Especially with 5 players, within 1h30, most players should have 2 or 3 relics and be at level 6-8.

Change #1 or #2 on their own reduce the length of the game. Choose the two options together, and watch the game length halve.

With the new expansions Nemesis, we are looking at 6 players and more player vs player combat. So we are probably looking at longer games too.

Hope this helps.

Your character does not die in Relic - he's only vanquished, and that's not that bad ... only if your character corrupts you have to start anew.

We play 3-player games in about 120 minutes, without hurrying. Just don't wait until you are fully leveled up; with a little planning and saved up power cards, you can easily hit the inner tier and win the game at level 9 or 10. It's a racing game, after all :)