Ork Slaver Class

By Plaxor, in Rogue Trader House Rules

I'm working on expanding the Ork careers for a Freebooter campaign. Made a slaver career to try to 'fill' some holes in an all-ork campaign. Essentially, they're kind of like a seneschal.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Nr32u9sF3ENVN0MWtiV0wxZlE/edit?usp=sharing

Sorry about the link, the HTML was too long to post, and a plaintext was disorganized.

Updated Link to corrected document. Toughness and fellowship are now medium difficulty advances.

Edited by Plaxor

Very minor detail: Could we possibly refer to this as a career?

I saw a 'Slaver Class' and expected a ship-type.

I really like it. It's got a nice amount of flavour text, and the progression seems pretty fun. A couple of notes from my first impressions.

1) I would stick with calling this class the "Runtherd". It's more accurate for how a lot of its abilities work, and enslaving Grots and Gretchin don't really count as slavery. Plus a lot of races are runts compared to Orks.

2) I would lower Toughness to the 250 XP track, and raise Fellowship to the 250 XP track. They don't get a lot of Fellowship abilities, and I don't think that any Ork should have an Easy Fellowship advance. Also constantly handling squigs would give people a lot of scar tissue, so Toughness should be here - though not as tough as someone who fights other Orks all day.

3) The career is pretty cheap XP-spending wise compared to most others. I would raise the 300XP skills to 400, or possibly up to 500 to make it more like what current classes are.

Description:

Freebooter groups are mainly composed of various oddboyz: outcasts from typical Ork society. These oddboyz are unusual, since they enjoy activities atypical of the ork, such as triage or 'rough' engineering. Though Freebooterz themselves are certainly unlike the common Ork, enjoying raids, teef, and 'kleverly' outwitting a powerful opponent. As outcasts, Freebooterz often interact with non-orkoids, and may even join a group of Wolf-Pack pirates.

Still, Freebooters rarely engage in social activities with other races, or concern themselves with records and bookkeeping. In typical Ork society, Runtherdz are much more informed than other orks. Runtherdz often find enjoyment with reciting the history of the Greenskins to their Gretchin cohorts. As well, the task of constantly wrangling the 'klever' Gretchin affords the Runtherdz a greater intellect, and they are uncommonly suited for dealing with tricks.

Runterdz are heavily involved in the crude barter-economy of Ork society. Their gretchin slaves are traded as meals, or 'assistants', 'domesticated' Squigs make better meals and skins to be traded. As well, Runtherdz often bait their herds for show, and take bets on the fights.

In Freebooter groups, Runtherdz often extend their skills to non-orkoids. Engaging in slave-trade or the raising of unusual beasts. Their constant bartering with the other races affords them knowledge in subjects outside typical Ork concern. They may even come to the idea that 'no-knowledge is useless', though perhaps not outspokenly so. Gretchin provide their Runtherd with access to much information about the goings on of anywhere they reside--as their numbers, 'klever nature and small size allow them to hear private conversations or track of the activities aboard ship.

A Freebooter Kaptain often finds the tasks of supplying the ship and paying the crew confusing, and is rarely knowledgable enough to plan effective raids. So, like all effective Ork leaders, he finds the 'biggest' Oddboy Slaver and forces him to do it, under duress of course. The Kaptain's threats to remove limbs if the Slaver does not perform, pressure him to only increase his knowledge about the 'ooniverse', his social, and economic skills.

Cool, nice suggestions. Yeah, I probably should make some more things 300, just noticed on most careers that things generally stayed in the 200 range. It's a good idea to make the toughness and fellowship both at 250, I didn't think of that solution. Careers usually give 3 of each 'level' of upgrade, so that three are 100, three at 250 and so on. Putting both on medium seems fair.

The whole 'Slaver' name was to differentiate it from the background of Runtherd from character creation. Also, the 4th edition Ork codex uses the term Slaver and Runtherd interchangably. Additionally, the somewhat unique career allows a bit more freedom with skills, and reason for them to interact with the Dark Eldar or other non-orkoids.

File doesn't exist ):