Length of a "session" in play-by-post

By Kshatriya, in General Discussion

So this has come up for me before with other FFG products. Most tabletop games assume a live, around-the-table format and thus some abilities or mechanics are available a certain number of times a session, or generated at the beginning/end of a session.

This is pretty easily applicable to chat games too, with a session ending when the players are done being IC for the night or whatnot.

But how do you guys handle it for PbP? I'm about to start running a PbP game and trying to determine how long a "session" should be for purposes of how often I do Duty and Force Point rolls. There are really 2 options: time-based and milestone-based.

For time based I'd pick a certain amount of time elapsed in IRL and say that is a "session." I would probably say a session would last about 2 IRL weeks of time in that case.

For milestone-based I'd look at the overall plot of a given mission and break it down into different pieces based on story climaxes or the players accomplishing certain goals. Whenever that occurs, the previous session would end and a new one would begin, with new Force Point rolls, etc.

How have you forumites handled this in your PbPs? Which seems to work better for you? How would you tweak it?

Hi there!

I consider two facts. The first one are events: If something critical must happen or just happens suddenly because the players actions I just decide to recreate a small "intrigue moment" and I end the session there.

The other one is just time. My usual session time is about 3-6 hours. For me, the sufficient lenght to consider it a session.

Of course there will be a lot of different appreciations, but, thats mine "session idea concept" :D

Edited by Josep Maria

In the PbP game I run, I come up with a piece of the story with a clear end point. That piece of the story gets its own thread. Once it is resolved, I close the thread and end the "Session"

So far we are just about to wrap up our second session and it takes us about 2 months to finish a session. By the end of the thread, we can have anywhere between 20-40 pages of posts.

That sounds long but we have varying frequency of posts and because it takes so long, I typically award a lot more XP than suggested between sessions.

Edited by kaosoe