New Archetypes in Tomes of Fate, Blood, Excess

By player1083847, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Ok, so these three books state that if you are allowing these new archetypes, then players making archetypes from the main book should get 4600 and 3600 XP for Humans and CSMs, respectively. So, is that on top of the 1000 and 500 starting XP these characters get, or including?

Also, as these characters already include extra Corruption and Infamy points, should you bother rolling on failings and whatnought for them?

Thank you.

As Player Characters get +3 Infamie and +5 Corruption per 1000 additional xp, I think the starting xp is already included in this value. So it is the same as a Human with 3600 additional starting xp and a CSM with 3100 additional starting xp. So they should also get as the adavanced archetypes +9 Infamie and +15 Corruption.

Regarding the other question, do you mean things like disgrace, motivation and pride? Or do you mean Gift of the Gods through Corruption? If the former then yes, if the latter, then yes too, but the Corrruptions Points are not gained through failing.

4100/5600 total, so in addition to starting xp. Everything is standard creation. Only archetype packages and starting xp differ.

Example:

An advanced archetype Thousand Sons Sorcerer starts with 0 xp and gets +15 corruption and +9 infamy as indicated in the package.

A standard archetype Sorcerer starts with 4100 xp (500 starting + 3600 additional) and gets +15 corruption and +9 infamy to get it up to advanced archetype power level.

Edited by BrotharTearer

In that case the Thousand Son would start with the normal 500 xp and the "normal" sorcerer would start with 3600... I could imagine it being baked in... possibly...

One could also then argue which would benefit more. 3.6k is alot of xp when you get to choose what you want instead of being saddled with a bunch of skills and talents you maybe dont even want.

But then again, the special abilities of the Tome archetypes are alot more useful than the ones in the Core book in which most are pretty useless aside from Adroit and the Psyker trait.

Edited by Drachdhar

As Player Characters get +3 Infamie and +5 Corruption per 1000 additional xp, I think the starting xp is already included in this value.

I couldn't find this anywhere in the book, can you provide a page number?

As Player Characters get +3 Infamie and +5 Corruption per 1000 additional xp, I think the starting xp is already included in this value.

I couldn't find this anywhere in the book, can you provide a page number?

Neither could I... So just guessed its a thing someone pulled out of the air.

As far as I know, and as far as I've read, Infamy is rewarded for completing compacts and doing notable acts.

Corruption is gained from warp exposure, doing wicked things, rituals, and many other things...

Neither thing is gained automatically just for gaining experience.

AFB so cannot check but memory serving correctly that

"+3 Infamy & +5 Corruption per 1000 XP"

was somewhere in corerulebook as guide line for people not wanting to start "0 XP" character or for those situations where someone has to do new character 'cos old died/spawndom/insert anything nasty here.

It's one off those little rules, hints & guides that FFG has hidden into the pages of Corebooks. In the most not logical ways sometimes.

Even then its not something automatic as per "normal" advancement, which is the way it seem to be implied in this thread.

Found it ^_^

Black Crusade p. 47

Alternate play styles & starting experience

"For every +1000 starting Experience, each character should also increase their starting Infamy Characteristic by +3, and their starting Corruption Point total by +5. If this puts their Corruption Points above one of the Alignment or Mutation Thresholds, they should spend all starting Experience before checking Alignment and roll any Mutations last."

Well Luthor Engelsnot mentioned the "additional xp" in his description of this little thing, my mind went to this rule. These "additional rules" are the little things that are usually just skipped over

So No, you don't gain this everytime you brake 1000 xp limit.

You only gain it when you make starting* character who has more then +500/1000 starting experience points.

*Possibly new character if GM isn't sure how much Infamy/Corruption to give, only my interpretation so don't take it to heart.

Edited by Routa-maa

Cheers!

In that case the Thousand Son would start with the normal 500 xp and the "normal" sorcerer would start with 3600... I could imagine it being baked in... possibly...

Incorrect. Check my post above yours for how it's done. CSM ddvanced archetypes start with 0 xp to spend, unless the GM gives them additional xp. The CSM standard archetype (assuming the GM wants his CSM standard archetype players to be at roughly the same power level as his CSM advanced archetype players) will start with 4100 xp (500+3600).

Edited by BrotharTearer

It ways that it's recommended that the GM does not award extra xp ... Ie, not a rule. And that would be with regards to if the rest of the players choose Core archtypes. If one of your players play a Thousand Son and another plays a straight Sorcerer and you award the Core archetype with 4100 xp and none to the Thousand Son... The Core Sorc would be vastly superior in every way.

Why one generally chooses the Tome Archtypes is because one wants to play a Long War veteran... And the characteristic bonuses are nice, and sometimes the extra Archtype trait as well. But added onto that one generally gets a bunch of talents and skills one wouldnt pick.

Hmm, rather pointless discussion... :P

It's clearly written that the advanced archetypes are equivalent of starting archetypes of a certain amount of additional xp. The guidelines for bringing standard archetypes up to advanced archetype power level is therefore cemented, which doesn't stop the GM from doing whatever he wants.

Oh, and you're wrong.

Does addon archetypes receive 1st Gift through starting 15 CP?

Does addon archetypes receive 1st Gift through starting 15 CP?

I would say yes.

Yup, they do.

The good news is if your archetype is aligned to that God you can make an infamy roll to see if you can roll on a gift of your specific god right off the bat.