Connectin TEW and TEW (spoilers from both Enemy Within Campaigns)

By k7e9, in WFRP Gamemasters

Just wanted to share how I connected The old Enemy Within (ToEW) and The new Enemy Within (TnEW). The players play different characters in ToEW and TnEW, but I feel that it's still possible (and fun) to connect the campaigns.

I have made some slight changes to the ToEW, but most of the story still stands as written. I have inserted some encounters with characters from TnEW. For example the players have met Luminary Kondrad Mauer when they visited the Light College, they aided Marcus Baurfast when he saved Adele Ketzenblum and Gregor Helstrum and they will meet Fredrik von Kaufmann when they reach Averheim (which they will do shortly).

They have also run across most chaos cults that are part of both campaigns (the jade sceptre, the purple hand and the red crown).

They will see some political unrest while in Averheim and when they go into the Black Fire Pass I plan that they will be there at the same time as Count Marius Lietdorf enters (and dies) in battle.

As they will play with new characters, this will only serve to make them say, feel that they were there when important things that happened and give some background to the players. They will aslo "know" a bit about the NPCs when starting TnEW, which I think will be fun.

Their choices during "Something Rotten in Kislev" will affect the chaos invasion which comes in TnEW. They managed to completly destroy the defences of Bolgasgrad, so Chaos will have an easier time invading Kislev and reach the Empire.

Finally their new characters will hear stories about their old characters as heroes during their adventures.

I've had to mess a bit with the timelines to make it fit, and also Karl Franz from ToEW had to be changed as he's not the same as Karl Franz in TnEW. But with only minor tweaking, I feel that these campaigns can be connected nicely.

Just wanted to share my ideas in case someone else has planned to play through both Enemy Within Campaigns with the same group, of if you have any suggestions as to how to connect the campaigns even more.

That's very nice - the whole "there for the backstory".

Karl Franz and his fate are the biggest changes between the editions. Did you change his fate?

I borrowed a bit from 1st edition version just for the Altdorf chapter so far (mostly just because a "blackpowder plot" explosion as you enter city was so much fun).

Were there connections (e.g., familial or other) that allowed the 2nd generation PC's to legimitately "know things" the first generation PCs knew?

I have not started TnEW yet, we are on the last part of ToEW (the Empire in Flames). Reading through the initial post I made I realize that it sounds like we've started TnEW, but we have not. I'm more in the planning fase of making the connections between the old and the new enemy within

I did not change the fate of Karl Franz from ToEW, instead there will be two different emperors in ToEW and TnEW. Possibly, I will use Heinrich Todbringer as emperor in TnEW. But it depends a bit on how the players act during the end of ToEW (I want their choices to matter). There's also a possibility that I will use a "Karl Franz II" as emperor in TnEW, depending on how things go in the end game.

I might allow the players to know certain things, depending on how they wish to create their 2nd generation PCs. They might create characters that might have met their old characters, and then I will probably use that during the new campaign as NPCs. Some things might be known by the new PCs, either by having some connection to their old character(s) or through stories about the "heroes of the empire" (their old PCs).

Mainly though I intend the old campaign to be sort of a back story once we get into the new campaign. But I intend to let events have some impact on the new campaign. This, I hope, will make it more fun to "let go" of their old characters, as the effects of their actions will prevail into the new campaign.