Draft Play Arrives to A Game of Thrones with Ice and Fire!

By Lomiat, in A Game of Thrones: Draft Play

Rise from the chaos of battle to seize the Iron Throne! A Game of Thrones: The Card Game - Draft Play is an exciting, alternate play format for A Game of Thrones: The Card Game that introduces a unique set of challenges as players build decks from cards that they select one at a time from a limited number, without full knowledge of the available card pool.

The first draft set is Ice and Fire , a pool of 240 cards from A Game of Thrones: The Card Game pre-selected by FFG's LCG team to engender a truly dynamic, intriguing, and rewarding draft experience.

Read more about A Game of Thrones: The Card Game - Draft Play in the article "Prepare for a New Challenge ."

Any idea on how often FFG will release new draft packs?

I'm sure that'll depend in large part on our appetite for the new draft format.

Really interested in the format. Love me card games, love me Game of Thrones, but I just don't want to invest in it at this point when I'm heavily invested in Netrunner (which I like more 2P, my preferred format) and Lord of the Rings (Co-op is another favorite format of mine).

But I've always enjoyed Draft (though it creates an issue with what exactly am I going to do with these cards now), and Game of Thrones seems like a great game for the format to fit in. Normally drafting is almost a separate game from the card game since you play 1 on 1, but are drafting in a large multiplayer setting. With Game of Thrones working best with 3+ players, it will be much more interesting to draft against the table and then play against the table as well.

Just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. Will there (functionally) be rarities in Draft Packs? I'm not sure whether the card selection is relating to the card pool only or the card pool and the draft packs. Because after the draft, cards from multiple sets will be mixed up and your not even supposed to know what is in each to begin with. Hence, it would be impossible to recreate or even approximate them.

Unless 1) each draft pack contains a list of cards in that pack in their respective order or 2) rarities have some identification. Then at least you could draft rarities separately or at least create packs with the same distribution of rarities.

Kind of an important thing to know because the situation will be either 1) I am buying packs for everybody and thus have a heavy investment into it. If that's the case, I'd like it to retain it's design after a single play (might as well go into the LCG) or 2) everyone is buying their own packs and starters. If this is the case, then it seems a bit... touchy, since people will be walking away with the cards that you bought and you the cards they bought. Yes, that's how draft format normally is, but I'm not familiar with draft being played in a non-tournament setting. Usually there is some ulterior motive to fun (and it is fun, but there is still an ulterior motive) of winning the tournament prize or scoring a power rare.

I might still just house rule "living draft rules" where the final decks are the "draft packs" for the next game or something like that.