Mutant Chronicles CMG RIP

By Nighthawk6, in Mutant Chronicles

sad.gif

This blows! But at least we can buy the rest of the minis now, at give away prices. But they had so many cool new minis planned! Gaaaah...

I wonder who will dare to pick up this license again.

I wouldn't say that scale, miniatures whatever were the cause of this though... It could have been 28mm and still not done well. The world economy got messed up last Autumn when this game was released, and it still is pretty horrendous. If it had been released in 2007 it might would have stood a chance... Though, who can predict the future...

I'll keep playing it for years to come anyway at least. gui%C3%B1o.gif

You did a good job FFG! Thanks for this game.

Yup. Definitely sad to see this game go. It played great, and was a lot of fun. It's demise isn't unexpected, but still very sad.

Sad indeed, but thank you for the release of the models....Can't wait to try them out, maybe do a storyline with a few other local players.

If the figure scale had been different I would have bought. I wouldn't say the economy was a factor, at least in my neck of the woods, as other certain other mini games seem to be doing fine. Unfortunately as a long time miniature gamer 54mm turned MC into a 'not touch' , at least for me. I've only played as an opponent for a friend that's a MC fan. My impression was that MC is really a boardgame with overly expensive components.

Well, since the majority has mentioned the scale as a problem, I guess that indeed has to be one of the factors that it didn't take off. But don't you remember Confrontation and AT-43 being dropped off as well? The scale weren't a problem there, and both games had decent minis. What would be the problem for those games in the US then? Too expensive? Poor games? I've never tried it so I can't really tell...

I love the MC world and was sceptical towards this one at first, but as soon as I found out it was more of a boardgame and very far away from Warzone, I checked it out and it's such an enjoyable and fun game set in the MC world. I didn't even notice the scale after a couple of games. It's something you just have to get used to.

I know alot of people complained about it being sold in random boosters, but would the game still be alive if that's been the case?

Oh well. Looking forward to finally be able to wield Max Steiner in my Bauhaus force. ;)

Captain Uncontrol said:

My impression was that MC is really a boardgame with overly expensive components.

That's exactly how I see it as well. A MC boardgame (box size ala Starcraft) would probably have gone much better. Though I still like this one.

So, this is ... the end ... oh, what a sad, sad day ...

Well, i feel very sorry for FFG. It´s hard to cancel a game in such an early state. Not to forget, the maybe large "economical loss" for FFG whith this whole project ...

Yes, there where some misstakes during the release and of course the movie was not a real blockbuster (but i liked it) ... but it´s so sad, that this game has to be killed in less then a year!

But ... it´s such a great idea and gesture from FFG to give us the missing miniatures in a last set! Many many thanks to you FFG for thats! This is so great ... i nearly have tears in my eyes!

I must get this last pack and some additional dice sets for my store. I will buy at least 10-12 "last legions" sets and also some of the dice sets!!!

So FFG ... thank you for this great game and for the time you have invested in it. And thank you for this last set!

I salute to you!

Yup, not exactly a surprise, since the game has been striving since the beginning. Some will blame the scale (it did deter some players), some will blame the redesigns (which drew away some hardcore MC fans)... Some will blame the change to non-collectible format... What is sure, is that a lot of people still think the game was bound to fail though they didn't even try it, and that's a very sad thing. I think bad hype put the game into a failure cycle (you know : "if it doesn't sell, it surely means it's a bad game / it doesn't sell because it's a bad game")...

But I think it was a great game, and I'm very sad to see it go. FFG did it best to push it despite crippling production issues (the delays...), and I'm very thankful for them to give away the rest of the figs at discount prices. A very elegant move to say the least. Giving us the promo cards and the stats of designed figs (mans, some of them looked awesome ! Valpurgius, and the brass golem... !!!! And the rules are a lot of fun, can't wait to try them !) as downloads is great too, but I can't help but sigh when I see those blank cards for Semaï, Cybertronic, Mishima, or Imperial... Glad, what this game COULD HAVE been !! What this game SHOULD have been !

Hope someone will take the license, though I don't get my hopes high. But I'd like to thanks FFG once again for bringing us this hell of a game, which was the best thing for the MC universe since the classic Siege of the Citadel.

I'm obliged to Mutant Cronicles board game very much! This one brought me into the world of board games - it was my first game bought from abroad, I even opened USD account for this purpose. Here in Ukraine people know only Monopoly, partly Warhammer (which I don't like), and mostly play computer games. We don't even have specialized boardgame shops in our country. In September 2008 there was a premiere of MC movie in Ukraine - after watching this film I liked it so much (to my opinion - this film should be an example how to make good and original films for such a little amount of money (8 million USD)) that I wanted to know more about MC universe (Sadly, I haven't knew anything about Wrzone etc.) found information about FFG and this game. Since that time I shifted from Computer games to board ones! And I discovered, that it is much better to play with people not with computer and this process brings a lot of fun. It is very sad that this great game came to an end sad.gif Such cool minis would be awaiting for us to see and to play! - I don't care for size of the figures - I would even say, it is good, that they are big - they look more realistic as to compare with 28mm minis. And if I even had 28mm minis games - I would bought MC game anyway. Here you should like atmosphere and storyline of the game to like it - and this one has really great one! The quality of some minis really not so good, but it is nothing as to compare with the whole game system and it's universe.

I hope, that some company will take the license from FFG for this one and will continue to produce this game. It will be really sad to never see such cool future minis and other interesting goodies, as new cards, maps etc. I should say only one phrase: "you just begin to value things when they are gone".......

I should thank very much to all of FFG staff who tried to reanimate MC universe and make this amazing game to live and for turning me into boardgamer. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!

i play Wings of War and MoPo and MC. And I liked MC the most of all.

I will definitly get the lost legions pack...Mutant Chronicles is the best universe

sad to see the game go. hopefully they keep the minisite and forums up for a little while.

Yeah, I'm picking up two of the LL packs, for sure.

At this point, most of us were just waiting for the announcement. FFG's intentions for the game couldn't have been more clear. Basically, the game wasn't an instant success (due to all those delays and painting mix-ups) and it seemed that most of the game's funding was diverted elsewhere. There's nothing Erik could've done with little to no budget to work with, and I suspect that's why our Demo Troopers program never happened.

The scale issue seems insane, to be brutally honest. I can understand having a scale preference, but to completely write off a game with solid mechanics and fun gameplay is ridiculous. This can't be cited as a major reason for the game's decline and eventual cancelation, no matter how strongly you personally feel about scale. The successes of other games simply discredits the notion: MonPoc, Flames of War, that new Uncharted Seas game, etc etc.

Don't get me wrong here. You're allowed to have a preference for scale, and maybe they would've had a few extra sales if MC was 28mm, but statistically that couldn't have been the major breaking point -- too many people like and support non-28mm games.

With that being said, I'm even thinking of converting the game to use Warzone minis, if only because I'll have more options in proxying models for all the "unborn" units. I'll post more here about it if/when I am able to pull that off... should be a lot of fun.

I know this may seem strange, but now the MC CMG feels even more like an MC game, because it is canceled. That is our legacy, and that is why we are considered to be such a cult following. :)

nullstate said:

The scale issue seems insane, to be brutally honest. I can understand having a scale preference, but to completely write off a game with solid mechanics and fun gameplay is ridiculous. This can't be cited as a major reason for the game's decline and eventual cancelation, no matter how strongly you personally feel about scale. The successes of other games simply discredits the notion: MonPoc, Flames of War, that new Uncharted Seas game, etc etc.

Don't get me wrong here. You're allowed to have a preference for scale, and maybe they would've had a few extra sales if MC was 28mm, but statistically that couldn't have been the major breaking point -- too many people like and support non-28mm games.

If the first words typed by everyone who didn't buy in are "Why 54mm?", then it's a fair bet that scale played a role. Might not make sense to you, but either everyone is lying (for no good reason other than to mess with your head), or an awful lot of people did feel strongly about scale.

Personally i liked the scale. Nice detail.
I also liked the fact it didn't work with boosters.
Me and my brother are turned of from all the 'collectible' stuff.

The only reason i eventually didn't jump in was the constant delays. Such a thing kills a game in my opinion.

Now i'm hoping the same won't happen with Anima: Tactics as the rulebook is constantly delayed too.

Tarota said:

If the first words typed by everyone who didn't buy in are "Why 54mm?", then it's a fair bet that scale played a role. Might not make sense to you, but either everyone is lying (for no good reason other than to mess with your head), or an awful lot of people did feel strongly about scale.

If those were the first words typed by everyone that didn't purchase MC, then that would have to be true. But they weren't... I find plenty of people that say they didn't buy because they a) didn't like the universe, b) did't have the time for another game, c) hated the paint jobs, d) preferred the randomized format, e) truly didn't enjoy the gameplay mechanics, etc etc etc.

You have to realize that even the full community of people over at BGG and other forums only make up a tiny percentage of gamers, and when such communities attract like-minded individuals, then general feedback starts to develop trends. I tried to expand my feedback subset by doing tons of demos and discussing the game with customers at a handful of stores (local and elsewhere) and evangelizing/discussing at cons. I'm not lying when I say I only heard the matter of scale raised once, and in a checkout line. It's hard to glean a true statistical average from all of it, but what I saw did tell me that scale concerns are actually in the minority. If I had to do a writeup about what brought about the demise of the MC CMG, there are many other non-obvious factors that I believe would carry more weight.

One thing I keep forgetting to mention is that even though it is a **** shame that MC has formally come to an end, it is very cool of FFG to be offering us a shot at everything they have left. It really gives us the opportunity to take the remnants of this game and build it into an ongoing community project.

I must say I am disappointed! But I am not quitting this game. Heck I just bought some Brotherhood and Bauhaus today.

I really do appreciate FFG's notification to all (us) players and their committment to producing the unfinished first line of figs. This is what keeps players loyal to FFG. I know I will be a long loyal fan! Kudos to Chris Peterson and his entire FFG staff! Thanks!

I feel very dissapointed with Fantasy Flight Games. It's a bit weird to end a game after only 6 months:

A) The first set wasn't even complete.

B) Lots of people were waiting for the other factions.

C) Current armies were still too small. No way anyone could have a big and diverse army with just 3 warpacks for each faction.

I can't say "thanks FFG" for releasing the Lost Legions pack, because I can't stop thinking we've been buying and promoting a game for a company that didn't believe in it's own product.

The LL pack is just a way to get rid of the stock they already produced, and one much better than destroying the figs. If they can sell 14 figs for 10$, maybe they should have thought of selling the warpacks cheaper, that would have helped much to sell the game,

You said it Nullstate. I think it was a bit unusual to play a game after the first match since I was only used to warzone minis, but as soon as I knew the rules I could be using rocks as miniatures and it would still kick ass. You really don't need any fancy miniatures for chess too right. This game even plays out faster than the silverline games from FFG if you want. So you can just pop out a 3/3/3 (less than 20min) game to have some fun.

We should have gotten all the miniatures released in August-September, instead of some here and some there. They should at least have released the personalities for all the factions to begin with. And if the quality of the paints/plastic had been in the Ice Golem/Karak calibre (which the first set wasn't) it might have fared better. I think bad first impression ruined it for many. The scale wouldn't mean much (at least to non-hardcore gamers) if everything else was likeable. Bases would have been the same, but with a smaller dude on top... I would think the prices was the biggest objection to most people (only GW gets away with those prices for plastic it seems...).

I think the upcoming figs would have been insane though...

Am I right that there is a small possibillity that someone would buy the license from FFG to continue making THIS game? Or is it the MC Miniatures Game in general? I have next to no knowledge about how this works... Is this the Warzone license??

well, I can't say I was very happy with this game. expecially about sculpt detail and paint quality that were (imho) inappropriate for the size of the models, and for the quite high price tag.

nonetheless, I liked very much the game and I'm quite sad of seeing it coming to a (premature) end.
even worse, as most of the new sculpts seem really striking.

about LL pack, I think it's a really nice offer from FF and a good chance to get all the missing model.
and since no-one will force anyone to purchase it, people who don't like it should be ok with it, too ;)

I was going to order the Legion Kit, but When I saw they charge $15.96 for shipping I cancelled. I aslo don't trust UPS to not add extra charges not to mention unexpected duty across to Canada!

It seems that the Lost Legions sold out....fast!!

No chance to grab my own copy (or two)!

llorando.gif

At least one of MC's packs got the success it deserved :P

What are you talking about? The LL has "in stock" status in the shop, so order it now every1.

Hillman, I ordered two LL copies to Sweden two days ago, and I pay 38$ in shipping =).

Get it, play it. OMG, this pack is so worth the shipping!!!

Actually late last night, it was NOT in stock (repeatedly checked this...at least one other had the same problem)...now early this morning it is back in stock. Weird.

Already placed order for 2.