Mutant Chronicles CMG RIP

By Nighthawk6, in Mutant Chronicles

As Ruvion mentioned it was showing up as Out of Stock for several hours yesterday. But it's showing as In Stock today and I got an order confirmation on my Lost Legions order so whatever was going on yesterday seems to have been taken care of. I'm just glad I was able to get an order in and complete the set.

Like other people have already mentioned, it doesn't suprise me that MC met an untimely end, but it is disappointing. For whatever reason, delays, scale, price, random vs not random packs, it just didn't seem to catch on. Which is too bad because I think most of those who dismissed the game probably never even tried it out, and if they had, would have found it to be a fun and tactically challenging game.

After seeing the PDFs with the proto sculpts for the next release wave that will now never come out, I'm even more dissapointed that the game is ending. There are some really nice looking figs in that group.

We'd like to thank FFG for their efforts in creating a dynamic game, and especially for the Lost Legions option. We are ordering today. I am going to still play, and I certainly hope the forums / rules clarifications etc stay active. You've all seen some of my questions; I'll be in bad shape if they don't lengua.gif

See you around everyone, hope you enjoy the LL figs.

m4jumbo said:

For whatever reason, delays, scale, price, random vs not random packs, it just didn't seem to catch on. Which is too bad because I think most of those who dismissed the game probably never even tried it out, and if they had, would have found it to be a fun and tactically challenging game.

I tried it. It was a fun, tactically challenging game. I have plenty of those, though. I didn't see any need to pay for jumbo-sized figures in order to add another to my collection. If you want to call that a price objection, fine. If you want to call it a "too many other games" objection, fine. But price drove me away from buying; I've added other games to my collection since MC came out. And scale drove price, IMHO. Which is why I say scale killed this game for me. The only other person I spent any time discussing it with also objected to the scale, but for a more specific reason: he had figures from the old game(s?) around, and wanted something that would be compatible. YMMV.

I am glad to see FFG doing the best they can with wrapping things up. While the cynical might say that they had the pieces anyway, game companies have destroyed product for the tax savings before, rather than ship them out to players for near the cost of production. So even if I won't benefit, it's good to see FFG continuing their good customer service in tough times.

Scale was an issue for more than just a few gamers. I know myself and two others at my FLGS would have bought some MC for rpg use if the scale had been close to the rest of our collections. And having bought the minis, we would have tried the game and maybe liked it.

Looking at WoW minis, the scale has probably hurt their sales as well, although it's less noticable due to how well WoW is selling. My FLGS has about a dozen people who buy minis for use in D&D rpg games. Most, if not all, would have bought some WoW if the scale was right (and again, tried the CMG). Instead, since there are no WoW players at my store, the game just doesn't sell.

Monsterpocalypse's scale allows some nice RPG crossover potential with half the monsters and even some of the units, but not too many people seem to be collecting with that in mind (just myself locally).

Having said all that, I don't think a more standard scale would have been enough for MC to be successful. Other reasons have been mentioned, but IMHO the biggest factor was timing of the release- essentially the same time as Monpoc and WoW. MC simply got lost in the hype and publicity of these two CMGs.

MUTANT CHRONICLES isnt dead at all!

It has lots of fans and easily earns tons of respect.

mutant_chronicles_warzone_desert_scorpio

Btw. - i developed some kind of the WARZONE rules conversion.

Its already good playable and may find interests in this forum.

The goal is to simplify the original gameplay drastically with

aim on less figures and use of chesslike gameboards!

Even revolutionary new rules like SeeFirst attack bonus

just to name one of the greatest.

DoomTrooper TopTable:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ak91p2i1d5bgv