Power armour, Grapple, Piercing dmg and Force fields

By Humanas, in Game Mechanics

1) Power armour lasts 1d5 hours... Because that makes sense. "Here let me don the best armour the book has to offer and pray it won't run out of juice mid-combat."

2) Can a grappled combatant...
Use the focus power action? NO.
Bite his opponent If he has a bite attack? NO.
Use the knife in his hand? NO.
Use a Mechadendrite? NO.
I will not keep up with the examples here but being able to only use break free, slip free or take control of the grapple sounds more like "handcuffed" that "grappled".

3) Also I would like to point out that there should be a "piercing" type of damage with the appropriate critical tables. Low caliber bullets should do piercing damage and no bows and crossbows don't rend flesh, they pierce it.

4) Force fields are just OP, with the exception of the Displacer Field witch is really nice. Completely negating any attack is way too much. I liked the rosarious rules from inquisitors handbook way better than the latest Force field rules.

Edited by Humanas

1) Power armour lasts 1d5 hours... Because that makes sense. "Here let me don the best armour the book has to offer and pray it won't run out of juice mid-combat."

2) Can a grappled combatant...

Use the focus power action? NO.

Bite his opponent If he has a bite attack? NO.

Use the knife in his hand? NO.

Use a Mechadendrite? NO.

I will not keep up with the examples here but being able to only use break free, slip free or take control of the grapple sounds more like "handcuffed" that "grappled".

3) Also I would like to point out that there should be a "piercing" type of damage with the appropriate critical tables. Low caliber bullets should do piercing damage and no bows and crossbows don't rend flesh, they pierce it.

4) Force fields are just OP, with the exception of the Displacer Field witch is really nice. Completely negating any attack is way too much. I liked the rosarious rules from inquisitors handbook way better than the latest Force field rules.

1. Power armor isn't meant to be used during ongoing investigations -- you put in on when you're going into a known cultist lair and want to smash many faces in the shortest possible time. Even protracted combats seldom take more than a few minutes of in-game time, so power armor should operate for enough time to ensure that all the heretics are very, very dead.
  2. "Grappled" characters are the ones who are losing the grapple. Essentially grappler is holding the grapplee down and smacking him about, and it's up to the grapplee to regain control before they can retaliate. It is not easy to do anything effective while being pinned by someone else in a grapple.
  3. Adding piercing damage would bloat the core rules with four extra crit damage tables. It doesn't make the most sense, but for simplicity's sake I'm ok with omitting piercing damage.
  4. IMO the old force fields were actually more overpowered. When you are wearing power armor AND subtract 3d10 from the damage of all incoming attacks, very little short of lascannons or an orbital bombardment can stop you. With the newer field rules, you can still be hurt by small-arms fire before the field overloads.

Grappling has always had terrible rules. I'm mystified at the insistence that there be an entirely separate subsystem for unarmed combat, even more so because it doesn't even try to cover basic maneuvers.

Damage types are pointless to begin with. They're only used for crit tables and for the most part if you're rolling on them that combatant is out of the picture anyway.

On power armour: I can see both the upsides (forcing people to limit deployment, making lesser armour more viable) as well as the downsides (extremely arbitrary shutdown timer, and feels like you're wearing 3rd rate crap). That being said, it should be kept in mind that the armour's charge need not only last for a single combat encounter but also the journey there, as in many cases it would be awkward if not impossible to only start equipping your armour (a process that would take quite a bit of time) when you're already standing in front of the baddies' hideout. Preferrably, the armour should also last for the trip back to your own safehouse - I can't speak for anyone else, but I for one would feel very stupid if my character would "lock down" all the time because the batteries run out and I rolled badly on the "this battery is good for anything between 1 and 5 hours" die.

Solution -> just houserule it. Either give it a flat, non-random duration, or simply make it unlimited? The only thing keeping people from wearing PA anywhere and at any time should be an attempt at disguising themselves or avoiding suspicion, imo, which should be important often enough in your average game of "cloak and daggers" DH.

On piercing damage: Couldn't you just swap Impact for Rending? It sounds like it'd be a similar effect.

Edited by Lynata

1. You have finally found were the heretics are conducting their unholy rites. It is located somewhere deep in the underhive. So you enter their complex and after 3 hours of grueling search and a couple of skirmishes with the heretic guards you find the main ritual chamber. You charge inside shouting "Meet the emperors judgment heretic scum" and then WHAM. You fall down under the weight of your armour as it powers down unceremoniously. And thats not a really uncommon scenario. Consider, entering a space hulk, going on an warzone etc etc...

2. So, when you are hit by a bullet you can focus and use a power but not when someone is grappling you ? Makes sense.

3. I don't think that it would "bloat". On the contrary. I have been playing a DH campaign for more than 2 years now, we are well into ascension by now and our group has almost memorized the tables just because they are not that many. I think it would add some more color to the game.

4. The old power field would give you on average 11 armor but ONLY against ranged attacks. Yes you would need a lascannon to hit someone in power armour with a power field but that's ok, you can always go melee. There is a solution. While the new fields negate everything and there is no way to bypass it. You just have to get lucky to land a hit.

1. You have finally found were the heretics are conducting their unholy rites. It is located somewhere deep in the underhive. So you enter their complex and after 3 hours of grueling search and a couple of skirmishes with the heretic guards you find the main ritual chamber. You charge inside shouting "Meet the emperors judgment heretic scum" and then WHAM. You fall down under the weight of your armour as it powers down unceremoniously. And thats not a really uncommon scenario. Consider, entering a space hulk, going on an warzone etc etc...

2. So, when you are hit by a bullet you can focus and use a power but not when someone is grappling you ? Makes sense.

3. I don't think that it would "bloat". On the contrary. I have been playing a DH campaign for more than 2 years now, we are well into ascension by now and our group has almost memorized the tables just because they are not that many. I think it would add some more color to the game.

4. The old power field would give you on average 11 armor but ONLY against ranged attacks. Yes you would need a lascannon to hit someone in power armour with a power field but that's ok, you can always go melee. There is a solution. While the new fields negate everything and there is no way to bypass it. You just have to get lucky to land a hit.

1. The power armour in the book is "Civilian" power armour. It's not meant to be all that great. There are military power packs which can last 24 hours, and there are the Fusion Packs that can last centuries, but these are extremely rare and hard to get. Wait til the first splat comes out, I'm sure it'll have it.

And if it's that big a problem, carry a few spare batteries. One of my players did that. Or have a tech priest in the party recharge it with his lumen charge. There are tons of solutions.

2. Grappling sucks, but it's better then no grappling. If you want some change, write out some nice clean grappling rules and send them to FFG.

3. I've been GMing DH, RT, BC, OW, and DW for going on 4 years now, and I still need to look up the **** crit tables. They don't come up that often, and another table would just be a waste of space that we could use for actually useful stuff. They have a page limit they need to stick too.

4. The old style of field were weird as hell and didn't really fit in with what force fields were. They are also rare enough they can't be abused, and it's still very easy for attacks to get through, or for your expensive device to overload and turn into a lump of metal.

4 I actually like the current (not old) force fields. Though ofcourse they (should) negate hits rather than attacks. I never did like the force fields in IH, they felt far too clunky.

I made my own thread about my grievances on power armor, because I didn't notice this thread and because I'm too much of a fool to know how to delete my own threads. But yeah, I think 1d5 hours is dumb. I'd prefer a consistent 5 hours instead.