Increased Difficulty: How I did it by Victor "Madpoet" Frankenstein

By madpoet, in WFRP House Rules

Since I started playing WFRp3 a few years ago I felt the gaming experience was too easy for che players.

too easy to heal

too easy to recover stress/fatigue

too easy to use so often fortune points and career abilities

too easy to do too many things.....

I improved our gaming experience using the following rules:

1* A character get a black die per fatigue point to every physical action until the end of the scene (combat encounter or other). If the fatigue points become double the character's TO score he pass out. At the end of the scene if the character rest (the amount of time depends on the duration of the scene) ALL the fatigue points are cancelled. A double eagle or double skull on a physical action doesn't remove or add a fatigue point anymore.

2* Same thing as above for Stress but regarding mental actions. If stress double WP score the character get a permanent madness.

3*drop symbol on red dice (aggressive stance) now add 1 token per result on one of the active character defenses.

4* hourglass symbol on green dice (conservative stance) now add 1 toke per result on the used action card. (with a unlucky roll a deeply conservative character could risk not to be able to use even a basic attack for a few reounds)

5* every adventure is organized in chapters. Chapters include several scenes and usually last more than one gaming session.

fortune points are renewed at the end of a CHAPTER instead at the end of the gaming session.

Talents or careers abilities that could be used ONCE PER SESSION now recharge just ONCE PER CHAPTER.

I think you could simply add 2 black dice (or an extra purple die) more than normal to every check and save yourself a lot more house rules.

One thing I forgot to mention regarding an idea for toughness. Toughness/soak becomes worse with armor. Armor is the problem because it doesn't break often enough. I think adding a simple armor damage rule would go farther than having a lot of little rules for toughness.

All these are great fixes, but I think then you've just got a set of house rules that are more complex than the original game. I would look at fewer, but larger fixes.

jh

nice idea about armor damage. A little bit time consuming perhaps because players would need to keep track of every damage and to spend money and time to fix it.

I Always try to add more realism to a game system without adding too many rules.

ex: Red dice are quite dangerous when used and is silly that a character can pass out because he was unlucky in a few rolls.

By RAW with just a few red dice he can roll a Drop and get 1 fatigue and 2 Banes and takes another fatigue....

Also I really hate effects that can be used per gaming session. Near the end of it every players know he can afford to use everythings. Better to use chapters since players is not aware when a new will begin.

try it.

1 & 2: These really puzzle me. You say you think it's too easy to recover from Fatigue & Stress, and you increase the penalties they give and lower (by 1) the amount of Fatigue it takes to get KO'd. So far so good. But then you doubled the amount they automatically recover from at the end of the encounter! I feel like I'm missing something. Your solution doesn't seem to actually address the stated problem of "too easy to recover stress/fatigue" and instead actually eliminates the second and third biggest sources of fatigue/stress (those being banes and red dice).

Unless there's something here I'm not seeing, I have to agree with Emirikol that simply adding +2 Misfortune to the base difficulty of everything would probably solve the problems you've identified with the system in a much more elegant fashion.

3 & 4: Your alternate system for the exertion and delay icons are flavorful and elegant. I really like what you've done here. It's always bugged me that the delay tokens for being conservative could actually penalize someones defenses (by putting recharge tokens on them) but the penalty for being reckless never left you vulnerable to counterattack. Your alternate effects here are especially nice for fixing that logic hole in the base system.

That said, I'll chime in that I don't find the Exertion symbol on the Red dice to be all that dangerous in the game. Sure, a bad roll can produce 2 Fatigue (1 from 1 or more Exertion symbols and another from 2 Banes), but it's rare that such a roll actually drops a character. Even a Toughness 2 character isn't KO'd untill the 5th Fatigue. The simple truth is it's a bad idea to make a low Toughness character that relies on physical actions and reckless stance, unless they have a talent that eliminates fatigue or have a high Intelligence to use with Assess The Situation checks. Anyone who starts an action only 2 fatigue away from passing out probably ought to be choosing their action and stance very carefully that turn, anyway.

5: Yep, I agree that "once per session" effects are lame, and hate the way they get unloaded in the final scene of each session. I've done things similar to your chapters before, but in the end I actually found the per session effects to be slightly less annoying than the book-keeping needed to track which powers have been used from one session to the next. If it works for you, though, more power to you.

I be you pardon Bergstrom,. I dind t explain my thought well enough because I always try to reduce the text I write in english.

The main problem was realism. At the end of an encounter or using a talent or s basic card (is it Assess the situation?) you could recover from fatigue and stress points.

They were also recovered during the night's rest.

I kept RAW rules for fatigue and stress but I was unsatisied. my characters didn t fear them because they could endure a few points without any kind of effect. At the same time the risked to pass out if they become too much so it felt to me a On/OFF effect.

So recently I overcome my reluctance and I changed completely the way fatigue and stress work.

Now players are scared and they doesn t need to keep track at the end of the scene.

Consider that an scene could be quite long if it s not a combat. for example it could even be a 3 days horse race through a forest trying to reach asap a keep before it is assaulted by hidden enemies.

Ok. Well, that answers my questions. Thanks for sharing.