PC land ownership & mining

By Twodogz, in WFRP Gamemasters

Hey all,

I have a Dwarf runesmith PC in my game that wants to pursue information gained about a mining vein and potentially owning/exploiting the plot of land. Whilst I think this is fantastic and really encourage it and all associated potential adventure seeds, I can't help but feel uncertain as to how to manage it.

In the WFRP2 Old World Armoury it details quite extensively the ability to rent or purchase land or dwellings and businesses etc, but mentions little about mining, mining rights and who owns what, or at least a cut of, what is coming out of the ground, similar to how it mentions businesses paying dues to their respective guilds.

I am thinking the PC needs to rent or buy the plot of land, but I am not exactly sure as to how a lord would feel about renting or selling a plot to only see it have riches potentially pouring out.

What would be a realistic expectation of how a lord would respond to the request of a PC wishing to acquire a piece of land for this purpose and who would manage land on behalf of the lord? Or would the PC need to seek audience with the lord himself for land purchases?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

TD.

I don't think a noble would sell their land, they might give mining rights in exchange for a heafty share (50%+) of proceeds. If the noble/their steward etc. clever etc. a complicated agreement that includes all sorts of charges etc. - make negotiating a contract that doesn't have loopholes etc. an Intelligence or other check.

I'd skip the empire and have them go directly to the badlands: BORDER PRINCES!