Men with no king wha?

By Bigguyry, in 4. AGoT Deck Construction

Hey all,

I've heard a lot of talk about this type of deck but have found no builds for it. What is it and how does it work?

As a suggestion, the Magic forums have sticky's for "Decks to Beat" makes them easier to find.

Thanks

Bigguyry said:

I've heard a lot of talk about this type of deck but have found no builds for it. What is it and how does it work?

As far as I know, it isn't a deck. It's a combo. Or more precisely, a powerful effect on a single card.

There is a card available in the Scattered Armies Chapter Pack called "Men With No King." It has an ability that, after a Reinforcements event card (there are about 6 of them available in the same pack) is played, you can pay 2 gold to take control of a character or location that does not have its controller's House affiliation. Essentially, that means no neutral card is safe while these guys are out. And, since 5 of the 6 Reinforcements event cards become token characters that are really good in and of themselves, the one play turns into a 3-character swing (I gain 2, you lose 1).

The implications and theory about how powerful a deck built to take advantage of this are pretty significant, especially since most decks do use neutral locations like the Streets and neutral characters like Carrion Bird. Of course, while the effect isn't hard to set up, it is pretty expensive (you need to lose a challenge to play the event, which costs 1 gold, and then trigger the effect, which costs 2 more).

I haven't heard of the deck actually being built or people just mopping up all comers with it as of yet. It's all still theory at this point.

Its also the threat of the ability that makes it hard. I had a game where my opponet was sitting on his berristan selmy the whole game becuase he couldn;t risk losing him. IN a previous game my opponet took all of his nuetral charcaters out becuase he knew i was running MwnK.

My deck is pretty basic. Reducers and low cost in house charcaters allow me to have board and still play reins/trigger MwnK.

Thanks for the info! Got to get my hands on that pack then. :D