The Movie!

By Morphology, in Mutant Chronicles

Saw the older posts. I came late to the party.

Hm, I dunno about this, because I saw the movie a long while ago... ...sad they chose not to release it theatrically.

I will however, say that I totally did not like it; way too boring, totally different storyline and the acting was probably the only thing that kept me watching.

Movie Mutant Chronicles totally suck. Its weak and the story is some ParisHilton Level - so just trash it.

I think it's a love or hate relationship, but I liked the movie.

It's a straight forward easy to understand sci-fi adventure flick. But it's not like MC other in name and feel (at least regarding the feeling of hopelessness in the movie). And I absolutely love the new necromutant with boneblades. They are much scarier than the classic MC necromutant, just my opinion of course. I really hope someone makes a mini based on those guys.

John Malkovich is the worst in the movie imo, with Devon Aeoki on a second place. El Jesus was annoying on the first watch, but after reading the book he grew on me and is one of my favs in it. I think it's just as good as say Pitch Black or Chronicles of Riddick. There are so many worse sci-fi's out there. MC is good fun.

I predict it's a movie that will have a big cult fan base over time. In my eyes it's an instant cult classic.

The Necromutant has a bit of that Baraka feel from Mortal Kombat.

Well call me a heretic but i really love the original story from the MC RGP and it is really grerat. It is ready material for motion picure but - of course for Hollywood - someo "get smarter" and did HIS version of the story. And its - im not afraid say that - crap (sorry if anyone is offended).

MC is great universum with really great ideas. Awesome design of armors and wehicles. Nice design of necrotech and units of Apostles and Dark Symmetry corrupting from beyond the veil. Its distressing and really creepy. The movie got this nice atmosphere of First World War and thats all - rest of the ideas MC died.

Movie would be great if they didnt call it Mutant Chronicles. But they did.

Well, I would be the heretic for liking something that's not true MC. ;) It seems almost everyone doesn't like it, from non-MC fans to MC fans. I had big expectations when I heard about it, but as soon as I saw that Valerie Duval was Mishima...that was it, I knew this wasn't going to be the MC movie all was waiting for. So I never expected anything from it being true MC. Though I like many new things in the movie that would be cool to implement in the MC world, though that is just a thought.

I think it's impossible to make a perfect MC movie, but maybe Roger Avary would be the main man for the job though (he made Silent Hill), though he is planning on making the Wolfenstein movie next. I've said it so many times before, but MC would be great as a strategy/first person strategy game. There you can make this huge believable world and give the big monsters life. But in the end MC is best as a RPG or mini game (fav is Warzone).

I saw this movie and I like it - good actors, good scenes, good music, one bad thing that it is not MC movie but another good low grade science fiction movie.

I read the book and watched the movie at about the same time, and I think that helped me enjoy the movie more. There are several spots in the book that they mention things that were not in the movie. My guess is budget constraints got them.....(hmmm so that's how you take out an Ezoghoul easily...tell your opponent due to budget constraints there model can no longer be in the game and they have to replace it with a basic level necromutant...who can't have a gun)

You can have severe budget contraint and still have a good movie. Equillibrium for instance....a cult classic.

Hmmm...so there was an Ezoghul in the book?

The author is a warzone fan and he included lots of known "easter eggs" for us MC fans. He's been around since the RPG in early 90s and he even wrote in the RPGs. He sure knew his warzone stuff. The book ain't legendary, but as a MC fan you would get some out of it. I would wish the movie had a bigger budget and used more from the book instead actually... It's got way more MC atmosphere, by mentioning unit names, weapons, monsters etc. Though it's still the same story as the movie, but with more character buildup (what you would expect from a book really).

Equilibrium was awesome. Though I think that movie is hated by many as well. I really don't think MC had $20 mill budget though. According to the director they used about $1 mill on the special effects. And there were about 1800 of them. There had been mentioned a budget of $22mill, but I think that's since when Carpenter was on board in 96-97, and including the two other directors that were going to work on it. I would think it were more in the vicinity of $6-ish mill.... (though this is only me speculating).I know they didn't have enough money to finish it in the end... Of course, there are insane examples of movies that hit it big with lower budgets. I still think Dark Star by John Carpenter are one of the best sci-fi's ever made, and that was a student movie. Even Pitch Black (which I love) had a $23 mill budget. Now Vin Diesel would prolly demand a $10 mill salary... Movies are just too goddamn expensive.

MC prolly saved lots of money by shooting digitally as well.

Well I waited for the release... but no local theatres are showing MC. llorando.gif I checked a lot of cinemas too. Oh well, I guess I can do the Play on Demand thing. I am not expecting much by what has been posted here.

I thought the movie was pretty, well...crappy. I use that word, because if I stated my honest opinion, it would get me booted out of these forums real quick. It was a poor excuse for a sci-fi/action flick, and a disaster of a MC-movie.

I saw some of the storyboards and latex-works that were developed for Carpenter's take on it, and it seemed very nice. Shame that project didn't go anywhere.

Guntar of Nuln said:

I saw some of the storyboards and latex-works that were developed for Carpenter's take on it, and it seemed very nice. Shame that project didn't go anywhere.

I love Carpenter, but I too saw the storyboards/latex stuff that was made for it. I think it looked horrendous. It would have been Ghosts of Mars all over again. And that movie had a $28 Mill (!) budget. It's the worst Carpenter movie I've ever seen. Again, it's all a matter of taste.

I haven't seen Ghosts of Mars, so I don't know. Carpenter have made a few honkers over the years, though, so it might very well be one of them. But Carpenters MC was at least recognizable as Mutant Chronicles. And Carpenter, at least most of the time, knows what makes a good movie.

And, if you are the same Nighthawk from CoG, we two just don't get along, do we? gran_risa.gif

Hehehe. It would be the same. gui%C3%B1o.gif You're the one from Norway too? We might differ on some views regarding the movie, but we both probably love the MC world equally much. So there's no bad blood just because of some tiny different views.

Did you get to play the MC CMG btw? The boxes I saw collected dust in Trondheim and Oslo.

Nope. Never tried it. Haven't even seen it in real life.