Animus Speculum in dark heresy?

By Wursti, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

Hello,

on of my new players is an untouchable assassine. And well we also have a psyker in my group. Due to that the assassine is looking right now for something that would block his untouchable aura. So he doesn't block the psykers ability.

Thank you.

Distance works well as I recall?

... Looking through my memories and about a dozen books: i find nothing that blocks an Untouchable or his aura.

As for the Animus Speculum, it is a device the Officio Assassinorum (Culexus Temple) uses and is far too rare to be handed to a (lowly) Acolyte.

Thought so thanks anyway =)

Wystan Frauka (Ravenor's man) is a blank with an inhibitor he can turn use to turn his aura on and off. How it works and how rare it is is never explained.

Well, the Animus Speculum is the inhibitor that is worn every Culexus Assassin which he can use as a weapon by focussing his power onto enemy psykers. A black light bolt/beam of negative psyonic energy that can kill Psykers and norms alike, Psykers that survive the first blast have their powers diminished and are usually easy prey for the CA.

A really nasty fellow, just as bad as a Vindicare.

Edit: The books and the old codizes contradict themselves on so many levels and occassions ... GMs should just do what is best for a fun play in their group.

Edited by segara82

Wystan Frauka (Ravenor's man) is a blank with an inhibitor he can turn use to turn his aura on and off. How it works and how rare it is is never explained.

I would make that kind of gear at least Near Unique, if not Unique, and gene-coded.

I would make that kind of gear at least Near Unique, if not Unique, and gene-coded.

I don't think I would allow it at all :)

I don't think I would allow it at all :)

I mean more of a purely NPC thing, or a thing you might be able to grab at an Ascension-level of play (since I would never allow a PC to become an Eversor without making his character an NPC). Something the PCs might be able to find and be curious about but not actually use, that opens up plot when they turn it over to their Inquisitor.

Currently thinking though... think I saw a description of it somewhere in one of the books... not sure which system... but, hell, I'm pretty **** sure I saw some Stats for it (excluding price and rarity though, iirc)

Edit: Praise to the Emperor, found it! Check Rogue Trader: The Navis Primer p. 116

Edited by darkforce

**** the vagueness of the negative psionic spectrum!

An untouchable shouldn`t have an aura, they are untouchable their resistance/immunity is confined to their immediate vicinity if not their person making it all but impossible to affect them psychically.

Their "aura" such as it is would only effect people is their personal space making them feel profoundly uncomfortable (thus untouchable.)

As opposed to a Pariah whose psionically negative aua projects a distance from them causing discomfort to blunts and outright pain to psykers making them unwelcome figures of unprovoked hatred and loathing (thus Pariah.)

Emperor>Psyker>Blunt(human normal)>Psy-Neutral<Psy-Resistant<Blank<Untouchable<Pariah

As such unless you are all running around holding hands or driving around piled into a VW Beetle it shouldn`t be to much of an issue.

Are Pariahs still in the fluff? (Ok, I mean -- have they been mentioned since the Necrons were reworked?)

I think Abnett isn't really a good source on this since his treatment doesn't make sense. His main Untouchable is a hooker, which is something an Untouchable would be an absolute failure at.

Edited by bogi_khaosa

Are Pariahs still in the fluff? (Ok, I mean -- have they been mentioned since the Necrons were reworked?)

I think Abnett isn't really a good source on this since his treatment doesn't make sense. His main Untouchable is a hooker, which is something an Untouchable would be an absolute failure at.

Clearly you haven't seen the prostitutes that litter the streets. Hundreds of them, and not a soul to rub together between them.

But to answer your question, I think that Necron Pariahs are out - if you care at all about the newcrons, I don't - but Pariahs as in "Untouchables" are very much still in. Here and there and everywhere, these days.

On 1/11/2014 at 0:43 PM, Fgdsfg said:

Clearly you haven't seen the prostitutes that litter the streets. Hundreds of them, and not a soul to rub together between them.

But to answer your question, I think that Necron Pariahs are out - if you care at all about the newcrons, I don't - but Pariahs as in "Untouchables" are very much still in. Here and there and everywhere, these days.

Thread necro here(former 40k necro as well).

Yes Pariahs don't exist anymore. Lol the coolest thing about them, and i did enjoy their existence, is how they came to exist in old lore(which people were pissed about because, like a lot of necrons/C'tan, it shoehorned the C'tan into the existing lore). According to the old lore(the book i believe, it's been forever) a C'tan that was heavily implied to be the deceiver modified human genetics when we were still in our early monkey years so that some of us would be born with the pariah gene. I had never heard that there were degrees of pariah like implied above. Suddenly you end up with an explanation about why they exist as well as a "simpsons did it" with the then newly released C'tan, people in 2003 were irked.

Thanks for giving me a spring board for this. I got into DH 2 just before they nixed the product from FFG and i was curious about how i could artificially limit the possible in game drama between a psyker and blank before it happened. I havn't read the item yet but I'm just going to add it in to allow some bit of control for a blank.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:31 AM, dominosfleet said:

I had never heard that there were degrees of pariah like implied above

There are definitely grades of untouchable, just like there are grades of psyker, and as @Askil says, it's the same scale. In fact, there is such a thing as an Omega Minus - the reverse, obviously, of an Alpha Plus psyker. There has been precisely one such...individual?....encountered in Black Library books, in the form of an Omega Minus fetus in a stasis tank held in an inquisitorial armoury vault in Atlas Infernal. It's heavily implied that the strength of the 'soul drain' from such an individual is so severe that it would have been impossible for any parent to survive carrying the child to term, and in the one time it's used in the book it practically kills Azhek Ahriman from only a brief exposure.

By comparison, you can overload and neutralise the negative presence of a pariah. Frauka ends up 'burning out', and - in a more extreme case - a Callidus Assassin try to drain and kill Aphrael Stern. She's basically dying, but once she stops fighting and lets the daemonifuge presence attached to her get drawn in as well, the Callidus overloads to the point it's skull explodes.....

Edited by Magnus Grendel