How Many Uniques are Too Many?

By thewrathchilde, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

When you are building a deck, how many unique characters do you think are too many?

I understand that playing 3 x copies of each card improves the chances of drawing it when needed. I also understand that "extra" copies drawn can be used for resourcing or as a back-up for when a key card is destroyed. However, I am concerned that a significant number of unique cards (3 of each) will result in games/hands where I have nothing but multiples copies of two or three characters and nothing to play.

Do you have a "rule of thumb" or unofficial guideline number you use for how many unique characters vs. non-unique characters you use?

Steve

I usually only do x2 unique characters or supports, unless they are critical. Also I generally feel it's okay to have x3 of 1 or 2 cost uniques because they can be played at any time.

Not a bad idea, guess that is a good alternative; a lot less likely to get stuck with multiples in your hand with two of a card instead of three. Of course two of a card makes it less likely to draw the card when you need it. which makes sense to tier it as you indicated and only do this when the cards aren't critical.

Tough call for me as I like to think "every" card in the deck is critical otherwise I should be looking at swapping it out for something else. I haven't reached a decision on what I think would be a good general rule but I am thinking something around no more than 3 x unique characters (maybe 4) unless it is just single copies to flush out the characters in a deck. That few should make sure I am not getting stuck with a whole lot of duplicates in my hand.

Maybe this is another reason to look at dual faction decks instead of single- it provides an even greater pool of cards to choose from even further reducing the need for multiple copies of unique characters?

Steve

I only use 3x for Uniques that are central to the deck. Typically that's only one or two. For the rest 2x is sufficient. I've even experimented with decks using a lot of Uniques 1x, which works, if you mainly include them for good icons/skill.

that makes sense. If they aren't critical to a key combo then if there icon/cost ratio bears inclusion then any special abilities they have are just a good bonus when they get them.

If you did play a deck with lots of uniques, and paired it with Night, there are some useful cards that you could take advantage of, like:

Just don't let your opponent win The Second Dragon story. ;-)

Like the others, I usually default to 2x copies of Unique characters unless they're central to the deck.

However, if they're cost 1-2 I may put 3x copies in anyway as they're more likely to be chosen as casualties if we lose a Combat struggle or have to Sacrifice someone. Not always, but it's something to consider.

If a character is likely to leave play through their own ability (not back to your hand though) it's also more feasible to put 3x. For instance, a Fated character.

With enough cards now, I am to the point where except for a couple of key characters I am only running 1 x each of most uniques.

Of course there are a few exceptions with something like Ghatanothoa where there is a specific benefit t having multiples or a character like Nug where you need to ensure you get him out as quick as possible so his forced response can have as much of an impact as possible.