The Armour Max Agility

By Magus Black, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

Looking through the new Armour aspect of maximum Agility I have no problem with the concept and think it’s a good idea, but there are a few things that will also need to be added or clarified.

[update 5: “If wearing multiple armour devices (such as a helmet and vest), the lowest Max Ag value is used]

This needs to be either deleted or fixed as Leg Armour, Arms Armour, and Helmets do not effect max agility in any way…and to honest I’d rather they didn’t change it so they did, as that would lead to some pain-in-the-ass work to figure out patchwork/mixed armours (which can possibly lead to bizarre armour combinations of various levels of effectiveness).

Moving on from that there is also a question of how Armour Quality should effect this maximum, after all better (or worse) made armour should have different levels of efficiency. My own personal idea is simple enough to implement without much trouble.

Poor : Armour made of Poor Quality reduce the Maximum Agility by 10 (to the minimal of 10), if the character also possess the Unnatural Agility trait then that trait is reduced by 1.

Common : Common uses the current numbers as normal.

Good : Good quality armour has a superior fit compared to Common Quality Armour and is easier to move in, the Maximum Agility is increased by 5.

Best: Best Quality armour fits like a glove, it may in fact be made personally for the character, and may as well be a second skin, the Maximum Agility is increased by 10,

Since they are looking at Armour it may as well be a good time to try to see about Armour customization/moding (which hasn’t appeared again since Black Crusade).

I also like the agility caps very much.

I also prefered the "complete armour" options in beta1 instead of patchworking (rather make some additonal complete ones).

For my taste, the caps are still a little too high at some armours, but just a little.

I think, putting Guard Flak to 45, Mesh to 50, Light Enforcer Carapace to 40 and Stormtrooper Carapace to 35 would do the job.

Bad quality armour should lower the cap by 5 (make it stricter).

Good quality armour should make the cap 5 higher.

Best quality armour should make the cap 10 higher.

No increases armour points for better quality !

I think I'll ust agree with Gaunt0 on this, except that the mesh IIRC was intended to be "The Eldar Armour" and as far as I'm concerned, don't need an Ag cap. Though possibly it should be rarer for that.

I agree with mesh. My only concern is that this leads to heavily meshed up acolytes...

It should be rather heretical as of possible xenos origin to make it more of a risk to wear.

If it was meant to be "The Eldar Armour", wouldn't it be called wraithbone?

I think, as it is a light-weighted very flexible mesh, indeed the current Ag cap is realistic.

However, it is not balanced. Top balance it, it needs to get a downside, one besides the rarity.

I really would like to see a sentence in the rules that it can be seen as heretical by puritan factions (possible Xenos origin).

I think the quality additions make sense and give sensible solutions long term for high Agility Acolytes. The only other tweak I'd make in combination with that would be boosting the limit of light carapace to 50- from the descriptions it always seemed less restrictive than Guard Flak, its traditionally been the "dodgy guy" armor in the 40k RPG and from a play perspective I'd be much happier if the game gave incentive to wear matching armor rather than some mismatched combination Carapace Chestplate/Mesh Cloak and Carapace Helm/Gauntlets/Greaves. Or if you're going to have the realistic armor limit for agility-centric characters be 4 instead of 5 (i.e. Mesh instead of Carapace) then the agility limit of the Carapace Breastplate needs to be dropped by about 10 points or so

I think the reason is balancing.

I'd prefer the armour with higher AP to have a stricter limit on caps.

Otherwise the result is simple: Noone wears Guard Flak - everyone wears Light Enforcer Carapace.

You you exchange the caps, you should also exchange the values for armour points.

Except that the caps listed currently have only a vague relationship to the degree of protection offered and currently encourage high agility characters to wear mess of mismatched pieces. The caps should be adjusted to encourage uniform armor levels (to speed combat and ease bookeeping), the only real debate is whether you want to see high agility at a base 4 armor or a base 5 armor vs. the 6-7 that every non-agile acolyte is going to be sporting after a few sessions.

I'd like to see fix packages of armour and no mixing it at all.

Then balancing them is much easier.

With the space you won, you can grant some additional types of armour.

I would also like to see more types of armour.

I don't like the fact that mesh armor gets a agility cap since they are exotic super light weight armor with rumored xeno origins. If it is super rare, then I am fine with that. Just it is suppose to be light as a god **** feather. My GM used to joke that if mesh armor is any lighter it would float.

I also want to see complete sets of armor instead of the lame patchwork armor we see right now. I will also agree with Elior in that I want to see more types of armor. I am once you hit over a certain xp level you might as well call yourself a throne agent and no longer a mere acolyte so I want to see some badass armor.

I think it would be cool to give more armors things like flak armor has, namely increased effectiveness vs a type of damage. Like maybe chain mail is more effective vs rending damage. Or maybe mesh armor has its ag cap reduced for a round when it's hit to simulate it stiffening to defend against blows. Though it may add pointless complexity.

In some of the original DH supplements there was fire (Volcanis Shroud) and cold (Thermal "Frost") resistant armour, Slither Boots resistant to toxic waste and acidic substances, Armoured Void Suits, Environmental Body Gloves that give bonuses to survival, armour resistant to high wind speeds and vicious storms, etc.

These are some of the options I would like to see except like Gaunt has said before, just make them armour traits.

Edited by Elior

I don't see a body glove in the list either. Come on where is the poor man's assassin armor?

In 1st/2nd Ed. 40K , Eldar wore mesh armour, with a few plates attached. Then with 3rd Ed , they came out with the fancy multi-part plastic Eldar Guardians, and they were depicted as being clad entirely in Wraithbone plate- even though the 3rd Ed Eldar Codex they were supporting repeatedly refers to them as wearing mesh...

I think the term 'Xeno Mesh' is supposed to be a nod to those ReConned days: it is manufactured by the Imperium, but supposedly based on mysterious 'xeno design'.

In 1st/2nd Ed. 40K , Eldar wore mesh armour, with a few plates attached. Then with 3rd Ed , they came out with the fancy multi-part plastic Eldar Guardians, and they were depicted as being clad entirely in Wraithbone plate- even though the 3rd Ed Eldar Codex they were supporting repeatedly refers to them as wearing mesh...

I think the term 'Xeno Mesh' is supposed to be a nod to those ReConned days: it is manufactured by the Imperium, but supposedly based on mysterious 'xeno design'.

There is also Eldar Raider armour which was listed in the Into the Storm RT supplement.

It covers All locations and has 5 AP with the availability being Near Unique

I'd say just give it a sentence that ties it to some Xenos-related origin which is seen critical by puritans.

This will make it a difficult decision for puritan acolytes, and especially when handling with puritan factions (some inquisitors, ecclesiarchy, Sororitas, some Space Marine Chapters...).

That should balance it without the need for an unrealistic ag cap in the Mesh armour case.

For the other armours I'd recommend to reduce them to armour packages and add a handfull of additional armour packages to the existing ones (more choice).

To give each a unique flavour it would be nice if each armour had a special ability, like flak armour has.

The level of ag caps so far seems good to me, just might be a little stricter in some cases (but no more than 5 points down), especially for armours with 4+ armour points.

I still think that if you have Unnatural Agility you should be penalized for wear crap armour, but Mileage May Vary.

I actually think it’s the opposite on the Enforcer Armour vs. Stormtrooper Armour, the Stormtrooper armour should actually have the higher Agility. Enforcer Armour is pretty much cop riot armour right, it offers heavy protection but its not meant for long-term use (more suite up, kick down the door, beat em up, and suite down) while the Stormtrooper carapace armour is the elite armour worn by the most elite non-space marine faction in the Imperial Army (and is expected to see VERY long term use in the field, if not constant wear).

…Also there is only a 1 point difference in their AP and they both weigh the same, but Enforcer Armour is easier to get. Stormtrooper Armour needs something in order to not be outdone by a suite of armour that is called out as inferior by its own description.

As for full suits of armour I somewhat agree both that it would be simpler if we listed only full suits and to the idea for more types. But on the other hand I know the reason for including individual pieces is because there are times when you have to improvise and it might be more complex than its worth if you need to make up a sub-system to make it work…so for now I’ll be Lawful Neutral on the matter.

A few ideas for Armour Customization (if we can get it), this is only my base idea and will not likely be good for all…but still…

Customizing Armour: Armour can only have a number of modifications made to a suit of armour equal to half its AP value (rounded down), and unless specified a modification can only be take once per suite. Customizing armour otherwise follows the same rules that customizing weapons.

Personal Fit

Availability: Common

Benefit: This suit of armour has been custom designed for one persons body, to maximize their movement. Through appropriate loosing and tightening of straps, adjusting clips, and lengthening material; the suit has been made to match one persons physical frame. For the person that this customization was made for, they treat the Max Agility as if it were 5 points higher, for everyone else the Max Agility is lowered by 5 than normal.

Extra Protection

Availability: Scarce

Benefit: Some armourers look at suits of armour and think that men that make them are trying to cheat them out. You can never have enough protection; whether its an added layer of chain mail, or some thicker plates over the torso, or several layers of duct tape under a flask vest you accept greater weight for better life insurance. Increase the AP of the armour by 1 (this does not have any effect on the number of modification it can have) and increase its weight by 50% (round up).

Chameleoline Layered

Availability: Rare

Benefits: These uncommon modifications apply a layer of Chameleoline to the materials used to make the armour, granting the wearer a +20 bonus to Stealth and if the wearer remains stationary, any Ballistic Skill tests to target him suffer a –30 penalty. This bonus can only be applied to full suits of armour and grant no bonus to piecemeal armours, as there is not enough to cover the body. If a piece of the armour is destroyed reduced the bonus to Stealth by -5 and the Ballistic Penalty by -10 for each piece; if it’s the torso armour that is destroyed then the effect of this modification is lost.

I don't like the idea of max modifications being based on AP. That just makes higher AP armours even more potent. Make it a separate stat on the armour, I'd say.

I still think that if you have Unnatural Agility you should be penalized for wear crap armour, but Mileage May Vary.
I actually think it’s the opposite on the Enforcer Armour vs. Stormtrooper Armour, the Stormtrooper armour should actually have the higher Agility. Enforcer Armour is pretty much cop riot armour right, it offers heavy protection but its not meant for long-term use (more suite up, kick down the door, beat em up, and suite down) while the Stormtrooper carapace armour is the elite armour worn by the most elite non-space marine faction in the Imperial Army (and is expected to see VERY long term use in the field, if not constant wear).
…Also there is only a 1 point difference in their AP and they both weigh the same, but Enforcer Armour is easier to get. Stormtrooper Armour needs something in order to not be outdone by a suite of armour that is called out as inferior by its own description.
As for full suits of armour I somewhat agree both that it would be simpler if we listed only full suits and to the idea for more types. But on the other hand I know the reason for including individual pieces is because there are times when you have to improvise and it might be more complex than its worth if you need to make up a sub-system to make it work…so for now I’ll be Lawful Neutral on the matter.
A few ideas for Armour Customization (if we can get it), this is only my base idea and will not likely be good for all…but still…
Customizing Armour: Armour can only have a number of modifications made to a suit of armour equal to half its AP value (rounded down), and unless specified a modification can only be take once per suite. Customizing armour otherwise follows the same rules that customizing weapons.
Personal Fit
Availability: Common
Benefit: This suit of armour has been custom designed for one persons body, to maximize their movement. Through appropriate loosing and tightening of straps, adjusting clips, and lengthening material; the suit has been made to match one persons physical frame. For the person that this customization was made for, they treat the Max Agility as if it were 5 points higher, for everyone else the Max Agility is lowered by 5 than normal.
Extra Protection
Availability: Scarce
Benefit: Some armourers look at suits of armour and think that men that make them are trying to cheat them out. You can never have enough protection; whether its an added layer of chain mail, or some thicker plates over the torso, or several layers of duct tape under a flask vest you accept greater weight for better life insurance. Increase the AP of the armour by 1 (this does not have any effect on the number of modification it can have) and increase its weight by 50% (round up).
Chameleoline Layered
Availability: Rare
Benefits: These uncommon modifications apply a layer of Chameleoline to the materials used to make the armour, granting the wearer a +20 bonus to Stealth and if the wearer remains stationary, any Ballistic Skill tests to target him suffer a –30 penalty. This bonus can only be applied to full suits of armour and grant no bonus to piecemeal armours, as there is not enough to cover the body. If a piece of the armour is destroyed reduced the bonus to Stealth by -5 and the Ballistic Penalty by -10 for each piece; if it’s the torso armour that is destroyed then the effect of this modification is lost.

I understand your issue with stormtrooper carapace, but from a balance point of view I totally disagree.

If the AP6 armour has a higher cap than the AP5 one, simply everybody will wear Stormtrooper carapace.

I don't like the idea of max modifications being based on AP. That just makes higher AP armours even more potent. Make it a separate stat on the armour, I'd say.

How would you differentiate between them? By type (Basic, Flak, Mesh, Carapace, Power)? Coverage (the differences between Covered: All and Covered: Body)? Or would it be based on the armours description?

I understand your issue with stormtrooper carapace, but from a balance point of view I totally disagree.

If the AP6 armour has a higher cap than the AP5 one, simply everybody will wear Stormtrooper carapace.

Perhaps, but as it is people will more likely go for Enforcer armour then ignore Stormtrooper Armour for Power Armour. It needs something to justify its rarity, even if its just free built-in gear.

Storm trooper should be at least 40.

Storm troopers are also used as stealth troops and covert ops, and their armour should reflect that.

Also, it's essentially designed exactly the same as Guardsmen armour, if you look at pictures, it just uses Carapace plates instead of Flak