Locked dice, devoured and failed rolls

By Nainphy, in Elder Sign

If an adventure card locks a die, but i try another adventure card. This locked die remains or will i be able to use it in this another adventure card?

In the final battle, Am i eliminated from the game if i'm devoured (like in arkham horror) or can i get another investigator (this would make the game TOO easy to beat it)?

Let's suppose i need a peril and 3 investigation results to complete a task. If i only get the 3 investigation result, my roll is considered failed or can i assign the 3 investigation result (partial success) and roll the remaining dice to get the peril result (or i can only do that by focusing the 3 investigation result)?

All dice remain locked until the locking card is resolved. In this case, the die is available to nobody (except Sister Mary) until that specific Adventure card leaves play. Ignore it at your own risk.

In final combat, any devoured investigators are eliminated but not replaced. The clock still advances 3 hours in place of an eliminated investigator's turn, essentially meaning more investigators being eliminated means you're worse off.

All dice remain locked until the locking card is resolved. In this case, the die is available to nobody (except Sister Mary) until that specific Adventure card leaves play. Ignore it at your own risk.

This same rule apply for monsters locking a die? If there's a monster locking a green die and an adventure card locking another green die. Does it stack? All the investigators lose 2 green dice while they (the card and the monster) are locking?

Edited by Nainphy

This same rule apply for monsters locking a die? If there's a monster locking a green die and an adventure card locking another green die. Does it stack? All the investigators lose 2 green dice while they (the card and the monster) are locking?

That is correct. Locked dice stack. Thus, whenever a green die is locked, my team of investigators always makes that monster/adventure top priority. I was in a game once where we had 2 locked green dice at once. It made completing those adventures very difficult.

Let's suppose i need a peril and 3 investigation results to complete a task. If i only get the 3 investigation result, my roll is considered failed or can i assign the 3 investigation result (partial success) and roll the remaining dice to get the peril result (or i can only do that by focusing the 3 investigation result)?

Yes, that roll is failed, and you must lose 1 die and try the roll again. For any given task on an adventure, you must get all results indicated on the task in a single roll. However, before you call it a failure, if you have any clue tokens, you may spend one to re-roll any number of the dice you just rolled. Using a clue token can save you from failure. If you are unable to re-roll any dice, and you must fail the roll, but you don't want to lose the 3 investigations result, you have a few options available to you. If you have not focused yet during this adventure, you could focus the 3 investigations; if you have focused (or not) and another investigator is in the same adventure as you, you may use him to assist; or if you have a spell that allows you to save a die result, you may cast that spell.

Edited by Musha Shukou

Let's suppose i cast a spell with 2 secured slots. Can i put a die in a roll and another die secured in another roll or both dice should go to the secured slots in the SAME roll?

Nainphy,

Unfortunately, both dice must be placed on the Spell at the same time.

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor

Nainphy,

As to the locked dice...if you unlock a Yellow die from a monster, you may use a Common Item to immediately use the Yellow die. Some may play differently, but that's how we dealt with it when we played with Richard at Arkham Nights a few years back.

Cheers,

Joe

Agreed with Joe. Once that die locked by a monster has been freed, it may immediately be used.

If a terror in an adventure card says "Terror: Lose 1 sanity". If i fail the roll with 2 terror results i lose 1 or 2 of sanity?

Nainphy,

You lose one...the game can be difficult, but it's not masochistic. :D

Cheers,

Joe

Joe's right; if you look at the rulebook, pag 9, you read

If the player fails to complete a task and at least one of the rolled dice shows a terror result, he resolves all terror effects on the Adventure card, as well as any terror effects on the current Mythos card (see “Mythos Cards” on page 15)

It's not worded " for every die showing a terror result", so 1, or 2, or even 6 dice showing a terror result trigger only once the terror effect of the adventure / mythos in play.

And to further add to what Joe and Julia have already expertly explained, while you suffer the terror result only once on the failed roll that shows terror, it isn't limited to only once per adventure, or even once per task, but once per failed roll. EVERY failed roll that has at least one terror result will trigger the terror effect, but only once for that roll.

Thanks everyone for answering me. I have another question xD:

If i cast a spell that restores all my stamina and Ithaqua is the ancient one, do i lose one stamina before the spell effect or after the spell effect?

Edited by Nainphy

Using a spell makes you lose Stamina: hence, you discard the spell and a stamina point, and then you apply the effects of the spell (in this case, fully healing you). This is pretty important because casting the spell could actually kill you.

Spells which can kill you by casting them...and that ladies and gentlemen, is what makes any of these games, truly Lovecraftian!

You know, Joe, there was this marvellous series of strips printed in the CoC rpg (4th edition) rulebook saying something like:

a) Call of Cthulhu is the only rpg where the summoner summons a dimensional shambler without knowing what a dimensional shambler is (everybody killed in the last picture)

b) Call of Cthulhu is the only rpg where the summoner learns how to summon a dimensional shambler without knowing there is a bind spell to cast as well (everybody killed in the last picture)

c) Call of Cthulhu is the only rpg where the summoner learns how to summon and how to bind a dimensional shambler, but casting the summoning makes him insane and unable to cast the bind spell (everybody killed in the last picture)

always laughed at those...

Julia,

There's a great wiki-piece or article that discussed the CoC RPG in sharp contrast to the D&D-related games of the 1970s. In those games (which I still play and DM to this day), the characters developed better and better skills and gained more and more hit points. With the CoC RPG, you were either going to die or go insane. Period. Good times!

Cheers,

Joe