Ranged attack question

By Hida77, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Hey all, this might be a really silly question, but read the rules on this a few times and still not certain of the answer.

If a unit makes a ranged attack (for simplicity's sake, lets say its not siege range) and gets more than one hit/crit result does the target unit suffer the damage listed more than once?

ie. If a Reikland Crossbowmen disk shoots and gets a hit, a crit, and a miss on the dice, does the target disk take 6 damage (3 per hit) along with the token for the crit? or is the entire attack considered a "crit" and thus only 3 damage is dealt with the token?

The description of the dice eludes to the idea that the damage is dealt multiple times, but there are no examples where this happens in the rulebook. The only example where more than one hit is rolled is in the scatter clarification, and the Ballista in that case is shooting at Siege range (which ignores the normal hits)

A somewhat related question depending on the answer:

Lets say we do get to do damage once per hit, is the damage considered simultaneous or is it "resolve crits, then resolve hits"?

ie If I have a disk with 4 toughness who has already suffered 2 damage and a ranged attack that does 3 damage is made against it and my opponent gets crit/hit/whatever, does it suffer a wound and then suffer the 3 hit damage? or does it suffer all the damage (6) at once and just get the single wound?

The clarification for scatter again seems to establish an order for the results as 1. Resolve Scatter, 2. Resolve Crits, 3. Resolve Hits

Thanks in advance! Really excited to play this game, is pretty awesome so far.

My interpretation is that when a ranged attack generates enough damage to cause a wound (damage equal or greater than the toughness), then a wound marker is placed on the damaged unit and the excess damage is then removed. This same unit could then be targeted with other ranged attacks or non-ranged melee attacks (which would continue to accumulate until enough to generate an additional wound, ...). If the initial ranged attack did not generate enough damage to cause a wound, then the damage would remain on the unit until the end of that round.

This comment in the rules seems to support the above interpretation, although would like to get others opinion as well:

Wounds
• When a disk with stamina is dealt damage, no more than 1 wound
token is placed on it regardless of how much damage was dealt.

I would like an answer to these two questions as well (especially the first, do multiple hit dice stack their damage?).

It is a single ranged attack so all the damage is dealt at the same time. In your example, it would cause 6 damage at the same time. At most, it will cause one wound and no extra damage after the wound. Page 20 under Ranged Attack, it says that damage from hit and crit are dealt at the same time.

Edited by Bright Wizard

I would have to agree that if you roll multiple hits with a ranged attack the damage would indeed stack up. I imagine the thematic logic is this: When a ranged attack is made with three dice it's as if the attacker has fired three arrows. The first might hit the target dealing damage, the second the same target dealing more damage, and the third scattering off hitting another target dealing damage.

This is exactly right. In the original Diskwars you had the physical tokens represent each arrow just like you said.

Edited by Bright Wizard

Thank you guys.

Correct. each ranged attack die has the potential to cause the units listed damage value, so 3 dice could generate a total of 9 damage.