Auto-Fire rifle or Disruptor?

By CrunchyDemon, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Which weapon do the shooty players get more mileage out of?

I'm the Bounty Hunter Gadgeteer of the group, basically the techie, (highest skill is Int), but I'm also the only Ranged (Heavy) character we have.

I picked up a Heavy Blaster Rifle off a Stormtrooper, then later spent all my creds on a Disruptor Rifle after a particularly dicey fight and slapped Jury Rigged on it to reduce Crit to 1.

I absolutley do not have the Brawn to carry them both around (Dammit, Jim, I'm a technician, not a weapons platform), and I've had only very limited playtime with each.

I'm wondering which of those two options the other Ranged (Heavy) characters on here prefer and why.

Edited by CrunchyDemon

Which weapon do the shooty players get more mileage out of?

I'm the Bounty Hunter Gadgeteer of the group, basically the techie, (highest skill is Int), but I'm also the only Ranged (Heavy) character we have.

I picked up a Heavy Blaster Rifle off a Stormtrooper, then later spent all my creds on a Disruptor Rifle after a particularly dicey fight and slapped Jury Rigged on it to reduce Crit to 1.

I absolutley do not have the Brawn to carry them both around (Dammit, Jim, I'm a technician, not a weapons platform), and I've had only very limited playtime with each.

I'm wondering which of those two options the other Ranged (Heavy) characters on here prefer and why.

Be careful. Most GMs will simply balance anything you get with an equal or greater counterpoint. And a Disruptor Rifle will make you a target.

I say bring it, lol.

I'm not going to scale back my choice of weaponry out of fear that my GM will throw one at me in kind.

The Rebels never would have blown up the Deathstar if they were too afraid to fly down a trench to hit a target two-mteres wide.

Huh, third sentance there is almost quote-worthy.

Edited by CrunchyDemon

Neither for me. Our game is about sneaking around, staying under the radar of the Empire and doing Shadowruns. It's about fringers in longcoats and pistols, not heavy armour and big weapons.

Anything with that ( R ) after it should attract attention REALLY fast. I think that this, like the rules for encumbrance and rarity, are little checks and balances most people seem to want to ignore.

Of course, our Bounty Hunter sulks a lot, but she relishes those moments when we're on some distant backwater and she can haul out the big guns and Fett-fangirl outfit.

Edited by Maelora

A weapon is a tool, you bring the tool you need for the job. When you go out on a hunt/op/adventure, ask what your character would actually bring with him.

If you're going to have to hike 50 miles through steaming jungle and then fight inside a temple, bringing along a giant hulking heavy long range weapon doesn't make any kind of sense, you want something that won't weigh you down and get caught on ever branch and vine. If you're just going to be hopping out of your ship and into a hot LZ for a last minute heroic rescue, you'll want something that can really lay down some suppressive fire, not a careful precision weapon. If you're going to cover your buddies from the rooftop across the park while they negotiate a ransom payoff and hostage exchange, you want something with range, control, and stopping power, not a small maneuverable weapon for up close.

It's tempting to always bring the biggest gun you can, but in the long run you'll probably find the character will work better if you base your choices on the task at hand, and not some hypothetical calculated meta.

Be careful. Most GMs will simply balance anything you get with an equal or greater counterpoint. And a Disruptor Rifle will make you a target.

**** it. Bring it on. I've got a Disruptor Rifle. Have you read the entry on that thing? It eats other guns for breakfast.

**** it. Bring it on. I've got a Disruptor Rifle. Have you read the entry on that thing? It eats other guns for breakfast.

Sure. It is a fantastic weapon. It is also reviled and illegal in most places in the Star Wars universe. It will make the bearer a target for the authorities, thieves who want it, and anybody looking for the boost to their reputation.

My main point was that the GM will likely turn around and up the stakes with something bigger. A GM will ALWAYS win an arms race between themselves and a player. This really only hurts the others around them who like subtlety and charm.

In regards to simply the numbers I'd probably be more inclined to go with auto fire.

However I'm with Maelora on this one, any weapon that's restricted is going to be limited to where it can be used without causing more headaches than it's worth. In a core world setting unless you are simply staging some kind of raid scenario and getting out of town after, it's going to be a liability to have weapons like that. Depending on the setting and scenario long guns period might be pushing it. Time for the trench coat.....

A weapon is a tool, you bring the tool you need for the job. When you go out on a hunt/op/adventure, ask what your character would actually bring with him.

This right here makes a lot of sense to me. You're spot on the money, Ghostofman. In the case of my bounty hunter, he's in the process of setting up an armory see, in his cabin on our ship. Tools for different jobs.

He's got a long range weapon for reaching out and touching someone (Blaster Rifle, saving for Marksman Barrel atm, Disruptor kinda set me back).

He's got a "bring em back alive" gun, Blaster Carbine, Spread Barrel (because Stun only works at short range, so why not?).

And the weapon in question is, "not out on a job, just adventuring, make sure to kill em dead and make it back alive".

That wonderful little Intergalactic Bounty Hunters' License, as they describe it in the book, can be interpreted as law enforcement officers leaving a law enforcement officer alone with his Restricted weapon.

In the case of this Disruptor versus Heavy Blaster Rifle, it's just supposed to be for killing things. Mechanically, I'm asking which is working better for other players.

Edited by CrunchyDemon

I'm personally hoping for a concussion rifle in Dangerous Covenants.. I love those things. I'd keep 'em both on your ship and just choose which you need deoending on the mission.

I'm personally hoping for a concussion rifle in Dangerous Covenants.. I love those things. I'd keep 'em both on your ship and just choose which you need deoending on the mission.

After reading about it on wookiepedia, I don't understand the interest in the concussion rifle. It seems like it would inflict stun at best against armored opponents. Ionized air? What am I missing?

I'm hoping Dangerous Covenants offers us 'cool' stuff, not just higher numbers. Power creep with a '+5 Blaster Rifle' that becomes a must-have.

I loved the new weapons in 'Enter the Unknown' for this reason. Perfectly suited for the career.

Let's see more 'correct weapons for the job' than just bigger and more-uber weapons.

Edited by Maelora

It was a weapon I loved using in the dark forces/ Jedi knight games. The blast area also sent enemies flying. It's dangerous to use in close quarters as it can easily hit ones self. I want it because I love the idea of not causing a ton of damage, just throwing an enemy around like a rag doll.

I loved the new weapons in 'Enter the Unknown' for this reason. Perfectly suited for the career.

My big takeaway from EtU was that I realized that I really wanted a canine droid, y'know, for hunting. I didn't know that I wanted one, but I do.

The party Trader took out a renegade Blackguard (used the stats for a fallen Jedi) with nothing but a distruptor pistol and the surprise of a rancor-dragon plummeting from the sky (this was thanks to the creative employment a Triumph and a Destiny Point when another party member in an airspeeder shot the membrane of the beast's wings).

When the renegade Blackguard fell on his back after rolling three Threats, the Trader stepped on his chest and miraculously passed an opposed Athletics check to exchange the Setback die for shooting prone opponents for a Boost die, then spent 2 strain to aim at the guys head and fired. The resulting Critical Injury fused the poor dark sider's helmet to his face, and killed him at the end of the following round.

Now said Trader walks around with both a disruptor pistol and a lightsaber hanging from his belt, which makes him the most ridiculously well-armed party member with just 3 encumbrance.

Bottom line: I recommend distruptors, because they're descriptively a blast.

Auto-fire everyday of week, it doesn't really matter how many crits you slap on it, once its on zero its not fighting back.

I'd say neither one.

Bowcaster with the automatic reloader attachment and then modified to provide auto-fire.

It's not a restricted weapon, and has a total cost of 1850 credits (1250 for the Bowcaster, 500 in parts for the reloader, 100 for the modification), and can be further tweaked for more damage and a few ranks in Pierce. The only drawback is range (Medium vs. Long) and the odd looks you might get if you're not a Wookiee, though range isn't a huge issue as most combats tend not to go past Medium range unless the PCs deliberately set things up that way.

There's also the Czerka Arms Model 38, which comes standard with Accurate 2 and Pierce 3, so the damage is comparable and it has the added bonus of not being Restricted.

Something just feels off to me for non-wookiees using bowcasters, I don't know. I wish there was more of an Infamy Obligation to go with that, because you're either super buddy-buddy with Wookies or killed one for that bowcaster.

Generally I like the autofire option over the huge single-shot damage. Blaster rifles are cheaper and completely legal to own and carry. I don't think an IBL just allows for one to legally possess restricted gear. Fett probably gets away with his restricted heavy armor because he's the best of the best, and the Empire knows that to control him you just have to outbid everyone else.

Something just feels off to me for non-wookiees using bowcasters, I don't know. I wish there was more of an Infamy Obligation to go with that, because you're either super buddy-buddy with Wookies or killed one for that bowcaster.

Generally I like the autofire option over the huge single-shot damage. Blaster rifles are cheaper and completely legal to own and carry. I don't think an IBL just allows for one to legally possess restricted gear. Fett probably gets away with his restricted heavy armor because he's the best of the best, and the Empire knows that to control him you just have to outbid everyone else.

Being licensed typically doesn't mean one can simply ply their craft however they like. Typically there are restrictions aplenty governments put in place for reasons practical and political. Then there are all those bothersome fees..............

For legality of use I'm going purely on the RAW of the Restricted tag on a weapon. Anything above and beyond that is GM discretion and probably will vary planet to planet or even between cities on the planet. By the RAW, the heavy blaster rifle is not restricted and can be purchased on the open market; all disruptors are restricted, meaning the heavy blaster rifle is "generally legal" and the disruptor is not.

My bounty hunter uses a modified heavy blaster rifle for his sniping work. However for those off-side unofficial jobs (for which he doesn't get paid as its a revenge gig) he opens up the old secret compartment, takes out the disrupter rifle and gets blasting those high ranking imps with very little evidence left over.

Basically it stops the character using an illegal and bit powergamy weapon for the vast majority of sessions, but one session every so often (when an opportunity for revenge occurs in game) he gets to go to town. Usually without the other PCs knowing (in game only of course :-) ).

Best of all worlds. Get to use awesome weapon in game and get some actual roleplaying out of it. Perhaps some bonus XP. :-)

Yeah, neither. The code encourages you to take 'em in alive. Neither of those weapons have a stun setting so - as you're unwilling to cart about extra gear - they aren't really what you need.

The best option seems to be to buy a rifle with a forearm grip (good in close, can be modified for accuracy).

(Why would you care about the code? If your GM understands and appreciates your professionalism, they'll reward you with better contacts in the guild and thus you'll find out about better acquisitions - I once got a three day head start over other hunters.)

Edited by Col. Orange

FYI, it should be noted that an Imperial Peacekeeping Certificate is sufficient for carrying military-grade gear, including heavy battle armor and repeating blasters. Hell, an IPC is also suffient for commandeering vehicles as long as you return them and pay for any needed repairs.

For non-Bounty Hunter PCs, allow them to acquire licenses for their restricted equipment by petitioning the local sector government with a Daunting Knowledge (Education) check and paying 20% of the weapons value (including attachments and mods). Customs agents on certain worlds might still give them grief, but they'll be unable to outright arrest them until given a reason to.

Sure. It is a fantastic weapon. It is also reviled and illegal in most places in the Star Wars universe. It will make the bearer a target for the authorities, thieves who want it, and anybody looking for the boost to their reputation.

My main point was that the GM will likely turn around and up the stakes with something bigger. A GM will ALWAYS win an arms race between themselves and a player. This really only hurts the others around them who like subtlety and charm.

Sure, but that feels awfully meta to me. I'm for keeping the choice in character and letting the dice roll as they may. But frankly, this is between an Auto-Fire HBR with a crit of 1 (!!!!) and a Disruptor. The die is already cast on this one; the GM is going to be ramping up combat regardless of which gun is used.

But I'd also like to address another related issue regarding Restricted items. Some items your character carried will certainly stand out as illegal (missile tubes), but others won't. I don't know that a casual observer is going to be able to distinguish a HBR from a Disrupter Rifle without a close look. To most folks a big gun is a big gun and the that's the end of it. Maybe some folks can look at the thing from across the room and distiguish one from the other, but not every Tom, ****, or Harry in the cantina is going to be able to. To me, Restricted is a lot more related to Rarity and Price of an item. I'm not saying it would go unnoticed and be ignored if you're picked up by the law, but in a lot of settings it's not going to be any more of a red flag than any other BFG.

Just my $0.02

The Trader in my group's party who carries a disruptor pistol paid the Gadgeteer to design an alternate casing that makes it look like an ordinary blaster pistol. It's a 1 Hard Point attachment that costs 500 credits, requires a Hard Mechanics check with 2 Setback dice to install due to the sensitivity of disruptor tech, and offers no benefit other than appearing to be a blaster pistol unless its electronically scanned.

BTW, after reviewing the description of disruptor weapons as well as the description of augmented spin barrels and blaster actuating modules, I've determined that both attachments are disruptor-compatible since disruptors are essentially highly concentrated blasters. Other GMs may have different rulings, but this makes perfect sense to me.

In any case, as awesome as Auto-fire weapons can be, an Assassin/Marauder with a few ranks in Lethal Blows using a disruptor rifle stands a **** good chance at one-shoting almost any adversary. Very potent!