Yithian Scout Question

By Mnemonaut, in CoC Rules Discussion

Hi,

I'm relatively new to the game and haven't been playing for a long time, so maybe you guys can help me out with Yithian Scout . Does both abilities (Response/Action) trigger from the discard pile, hence fueling Nikola Tesla with success tokens?

Thanks!

Welcome to the great game that is Call of Cthulhu, Mnemonaut!

Yes, both of Yithian Scout's effects* are triggered from the discard pile and would allow you to trigger Nikola Tesla's ability*.

* On a side note: Triggers on a card out of play - such as Yithian Scout while in the discard pile - are NOT "abilities" (just "effects"). Triggers on a card in play are "abilities" (as well as being "effects"). This is important to note because some cards react to 'abilities' (e.g. Performance Artist cannot cancel Yithian Scout's effects) while other - generally stronger - cards can handle effects (e.g. either explicitly such as Eschatologist or implicitly such as Power Drain ).

From the Core Rules --
Triggered Effects
A triggered effect is any effect with preceded by the following text in bold: Action , Disrupt , Response, or Forced Response .

Triggered Ability
A triggered ability is any triggered effect caused by a card already in play.

Thanks a lot for the answer and the (good to know) side note. :)

And a second question concerning Yithian Scout :

The card has a Cost of 1, but Steadfast 2 -- does this mean that I have to drain a domain with two attached Yog cards to actually pay for Yithian Scout , even if it costs 1?

Two steadfast faction icons means you have to have at least two cards of that faction resourced anywhere amongst all your domains before you can pay its cost. However with a cost of '1' you still only need to drain a domain with at least one resourced card from that faction to actually pay for it.

As an example, if you have domains with the following resources:
Domain A: 1x Yog-Sothoth resource
Domain B: 1x Yog-Sothoth resource and 1x neutral resource
Domain C: 1x neutral resource
...then you've met Yithian Scout's steadfast requirement by having two Yog-Sothoth resources amongst all your domains, and you could drain either Domain A to pay or Domain B to overpay the 1 Yog-Sothoth cost.

From the Core Rules --

Loyal
When a player drains a domain in order to pay the resource cost of playing a card with the Loyal keyword, the domain must contain enough resources of that card’s faction to pay for its entire cost (normally, only one resource match is sufficient).

Steadfast
Some cards have faction symbols in their title. These symbols are part of the card’s cost. These new cards are know as Steadfast cards. When a player drains a domain in order to pay the resource cost of playing a Steadfast card, he must have at least that many resources on the total number of domains he controls (and make a resource match as normal).

See also the examples given in this Keywords section of the Core Rules.

Thanks again.

I should add that those two Yog-Sothoth faction resources don't need to be available (i.e. undrained) for steadfast - they just need to be there. But as per usual, you do need an undrained and suitably resourced domain to pay the '1' cost.

For example, it wouldn't matter if Domain B was already drained - it's 1x Yog-Sothoth resource still counts, along with Domain A's undrained 1x Yog-Sothoth resource, to total two for steadfast - and then you could still drain Domain A to pay the 1 Yog-Sothoth cost.

The purpose of steadfast is to ensure that these (predominantly low cost) cards are only used 'in faction', with a deck that has a sufficient representation of cards from that faction.

Edited by jasonconlon