Update #4 is live...

By Tim Huckelbery, in Game Mechanics

So...

What does everyone think of the Fatigue update?

I was thinking of Tom Cruise's proposal the other day- a PC with Characteristic 35 having 4 levels of Fatigue would be -5 to Tests involving said Characteristic, or 30%. With the update, those Tests are 18%. Too harsh, IMO. Tom's proposal gradually steepens Test difficulties, the update is "I'm fine. I'm fine. I'm fine. Ugh, sooo tired!"

It's like FFG have taken the first half of Tom's proposal and cobbled it to something of their own devising/intent. Just think about how ridiculous it seems to have some Characteristic Tests up and crash all of a sudden, while others remain completely unaffected.

Edited by Brother Orpheo

I think the penalty (halving) is too much; -10 instead of halving it when the characteristic is fatigued is enough.

Furthermore I think shocking and Blood Loss should be reworked to fit the new fatigue mechanics (similar to beta1).

Fear should also create 1 fatigue if test is failed.

Well, it's definitely a step in the right direction, as before it was "I'm fine, I'm tired, tired, tired, still tired, unconscious", which was even worse...

I think some sort of gradual approach would definitely be better, something along the lines of "(fatigue-characteristic bonus)x10=malus on test"

I definitely like that you brought back the Max AB for armours, otherwise there would've really no point in getting anything else than feudal plate...

Why? Explain the reasoning for being exhausted when you get a boost of fear-induced adrenaline?

I feel that fear effects should instead be tiered based upon the level of fear being felt. For example, the effects of fear from a Fear (2) creature or event should be less severe than those of a Fear (4).

Edited by Elior

Why? Explain the reasoning for being exhausted when you get a boost of fear-induced adrenaline?

You are exhausted afterwards as the adrenaline fades away.

Yes, but not until afterwards, which makes an immediate assignment of a fatigue level bad.

Perhaps assign fatigue "after any scene in whic you failed a fear check"?

Edited by Tenebrae

Yes, but not until afterwards, which makes an immediate assignment of a fatigue level bad.

I agree on that. The fatigue should be imposed AFTER the encounter.

I agree on that. The fatigue should be imposed AFTER the encounter.

Yeah... Walking into a room whereupon half the party faints dead away for the length of the encounter is, while hilarious, not great in a design sense if you're trying to keep all the players engaged.