Exceeding the Wound/Strain Threshold

By Seraph1m, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

this very simple thing has been made to appear very complex. i wish you all the best with your wound threshold endeavors.

I LOVE the rules on healing in this game. 24 hours to heal all but 1 wound seems tremendously generous to me; just as in Star Wars stories, your players should be genuinely worried about getting injured... but to each their own. :)

It wasn’t what I meant. If a players has 16 wounds and he takes for example 30 damage. He will wake up after 24 hours with 15 damage (or is it 16 damage I can’t remember?). He will only be one damage from being unconscious again.

But enough of debating this rule for my part. I only hope FFG can see this my way – haha! Then you guys can make you own house rules.

I'm not using any house rules. Haven't needed to; 1 wound per day is fine by me, especially since stimpacks are so inexpensive and Medicine checks are so effective.

Yet in this game you cannot die from Wounds, only from Critical Hits. By not tracking Wounds in excess of twice the Threshld, it only makes it so that tough guys take longer to heal than the average guy. That's why it's a bad rule.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall (and for longer periods of time).

Yet in this game you cannot die from Wounds, only from Critical Hits. By not tracking Wounds in excess of twice the Threshld, it only makes it so that tough guys take longer to heal than the average guy. That's why it's a bad rule.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall (and for longer periods of time).

Makes no sense. Better WT should be better. There should not be a downside to having a higher WT.

There isn't a downside except in the outlying cases of ridiculous amounts of damage. Cases where if you want fairness the character would be dead anyways.

There isn't a downside except in the outlying cases of ridiculous amounts of damage. Cases where if you want fairness the character would be dead anyways.

Maybe, maybe not, but overall I agree. This is a remarkably specific circumstance that won't come up very often, and I don't know of any experienced GMs who would be unable to handle it. The rule is bad, sure, but not game-breaking by any means.

I thought the rules seemed pretty clear in the core book, you go over your wound threshold you drop unconcious for the remainder of the encounter and take a critical hit. For each additional hit you take its another automatic critical roll +10 for each critical you currently suffer. I don`t see anywhere that you can recover from being unconcious until the end of the current encounter regardless of how much you are healed. I might be generous if a doctor got a triumph and wanted to spend it to wake the character (and they were above 0 threshold of course). So I`ve stopped counting wounds after they get past their threshold, usually means the party has either gotten really rotten luck and/or beat up pretty bad, no point in aggravating it further. This also eliminates the whole 2x WT limit debate.

As far as planetary attacks on players go, I like the narrative style a bit better. I give the weapon breach (negating all but the toughest characters soak), then give it the blast equal to its normal damage. Rarely will they (or should they) directly hit the players, but the blast can toss them around and make for a great narrative of explosions flying around the players as they flee for their lives. I must have totally missed the x10 damage for planetary based weapons, seems quite excessive to me because it`ll rarely be used by anything except for against the PC's, and it is it's a near instant KO. Highest soak I`ve seen is about 10 and lowest damage you could do would be 30 so players either take 20+ damage or none. My solution is still dangerous to the whole party but not an instant live (with no damage) or die situation. It actually works in reverse quite nicely as well, PCs vs. Baddies, still mows down mobs and deals damage to rivals but nemesis would survive atleast one or more hits.

Your player is under the foot of a walker? Make a roll and interpret the dice, If they`re dazed by it then your player got clocked in the head by some debris, if they loose an arm it was crushed by the walker, if they die (and you let em) then they got squished. If you want add to the critical thats fair, but don`t just tell them they live or die without atleast giving them a fair shot. I always hated that as a player and avoid it as a GM, faceless NPC's should get squished though, usually with a good scream or sad music to accompany it.

If you`ve had trouble with some players getting KO'd and others just leaving them behind to be mutilated by the enemy, I usually have them either be captured and held hostage (a movie classic), or if the enemy is unintellegent I`ve either had them saved by some local fuzzy creatures or taken back to the creatures lair to await rescue before being fed to the creatures young/pack/mate.

Really wish they had a PDF so I could look at the rules whenever I needed em.

Need a beer after all that, Cheers!

We ran into a problem with our game this last night with how to heal strain when you are incapacitated. Our whole party was stunned past our strain threshold. We didn't lose though, as the guys we rescued picked up our guns off our bodies and managed to keep us from getting captured. None the less we were all out...
We rolled a med checks on others to see if we can heal strain with advantages that way....
Can we even help others heal strain or is that a force tree only thing?
How often can we roll strain within like a 20 minutes period?

Edited by celebnaur

Makes no sense. Better WT should be better. There should not be a downside to having a higher WT.

How is this different from a 20th level barbarian taking longer to heal than a 1st level thief in d20?

We ran into a problem with our game this last night with how to heal strain when you are incapacitated. Our whole party was stunned past our strain threshold. We didn't lose though, as the guys we rescued picked up our guns off our bodies and managed to keep us from getting captured. None the less we were all out...

We rolled a med checks on others to see if we can heal strain with advantages that way....

Can we even help others heal strain or is that a force tree only thing?

How often can we roll strain within like a 20 minutes period?

It appears that it is intentional for strain to be both difficult and easy to recover.

Easy to recover because advantages on skill checks can be used to recover strain, and difficult because there are no items that directly recover strain.

Don't forget that not only can advantages on a medical check recover strain, but also at the end of an encounter the players can roll a cool or discipline check. Successes and advantages both can recover strain (if I remember correctly).

Aside from that, a good nights rest recovers all strain suffered. Similarly, if a player is incapacitated, I might have them recover enough strain to have them wake up after some time, but not recover completely. This should increase the tension and that player should probably take some time to recover.

In that light, I have no problems with the lack of items to recover strain, and having the medicine check only recovering strain with advantages not successes. Strain is a resource the players use to be able to do more. If it was easier to recover, it would take away some of the strategy in whether the player should take that second maneuver to aim her blaster or if the force user should tap into his anger to throw the droid at the gangster.

Edited by kaosoe

How is this different from a 20th level barbarian taking longer to heal than a 1st level thief in d20?

Because the barbarian that takes 100 points of damage will heal. The thief is just dead.

The entire issue I have is with the arbitrary 2WT limit. Remove it and everything works fine.

Edited by HappyDaze

Don't forget that not only can advantages on a medical check recover strain, but also at the end of an encounter the players can roll a cool or discipline check. Successes and advantages both can recover strain (if I remember correctly).

My understanding is that only successes recover strain on the cool or discipline check. Advantages recover for combat checks and by the time your rolling it's after combat, so no advantage love.

At 1 hp/level/day the thief would take 5 days to recover from 5 damage, the barbarian would take 1/4 of a day. The barbarian heals 20 times faster than the thief, not slower.

Although more exactly a 5 point wound to a 1st level character is a major wound while it is little more than a scratch to a high level character due to how the system works. The 1 hp/level/day accounts for this. 1 point of damage on the level 1 thief is equivalent to 20 on the level 20 character. A level 20 character is 20 times better at not suffering or suffering from attacks. It works well for combat, but it does fall down with the overly simplistic dX/10 feet falling rules which should account for level with level * dx/10 feet.

At 1 hp/level/day the thief would take 5 days to recover from 5 damage, the barbarian would take 1/4 of a day. The barbarian heals 20 times faster than the thief, not slower.

Per level? Okay, mine was a bad example then. I must be thinking back to old D&D, when healing had a fixed rate. Anyway, I posted a possible house rule in the AoR version of this thread, but I can't quite fathom why this non-issue is getting so much attention.

My understanding is that only successes recover strain on the cool or discipline check. Advantages recover for combat checks and by the time your rolling it's after combat, so no advantage love.

I was AFB so I was going off the top of my head. I think you're right. I'm not sure that you can only recover advantage strictly in structured play, though.

Edited by kaosoe