How many troops should the barracks component contain?

By Amazing Larry, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

Specifically on a Frigate.

Now my assumption is the component contains more than simple living quarters but is also essentially a nearly complete military base with training areas, stores, it's own armory and chow hall and whatnot. I'm thinking in the ballpark of about three thousand people as a medium sized occupancy that neither leaves it half empty nor overcrowds it, does that sound about right?

I tried looking in BK but the mustering and transporting sections don't actually say how many soldiers you can have, and obviously in a pinch you could cram way more into the ship by putting them in the cargo hold although then you wouldn't have room for cargo.

Up to the GM. Personally, I've settled on ten thousand per barracks. I've also gone with the assumption that this includes gun ranges, armouries and so on.

Specifically on a Frigate.

Now my assumption is the component contains more than simple living quarters but is also essentially a nearly complete military base with training areas, stores, it's own armory and chow hall and whatnot. I'm thinking in the ballpark of about three thousand people as a medium sized occupancy that neither leaves it half empty nor overcrowds it, does that sound about right?

I tried looking in BK but the mustering and transporting sections don't actually say how many soldiers you can have, and obviously in a pinch you could cram way more into the ship by putting them in the cargo hold although then you wouldn't have room for cargo.

This really is what it says in the component description, so I'm with this.

Also, the errata document (which everyone presumably have downloaded and read?) explains it contain "a regiment" of troops - which is still only weakly defined, but modern regiments tend to be around that size.

Depending on the size of the ship, I would say anything between 1000 to 3000; an Imperial Guard regiment can vary from anywhere between 500 to tens of thousands. So for a ship-bound regiment, I'd expect a barracks such as that to be appropriate, assuming that there's training compartments, gun ranges, etc.

Also, the errata document ( which everyone presumably have downloaded and read ?) explains it contain "a regiment" of troops - which is still only weakly defined, but modern regiments tend to be around that size.

I keep meaning to....

Also, the errata document ( which everyone presumably have downloaded and read ?) explains it contain "a regiment" of troops - which is still only weakly defined, but modern regiments tend to be around that size.

I keep meaning to....

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/rogue-trader/support/faq1-4/Rogue%20Trader%20Errata%20v.%201.4%20WQ.pdf

will get you the web quality version (which is fine), directly from FFG's servers.

No hassle.

In general, try having a look at their support page, it's free

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=78&esem=4

I went and read it on my own immediately after making that post, but I didn't see anything in it regarding the Barracks component.

I went and read it on my own immediately after making that post, but I didn't see anything in it regarding the Barracks component.

Interesting. I just downloaded it (again) and that note has appearantly been removed.

Anyone have any clue why?

I use 100 Companies of troops. A company is usually around 5 platoons of 4 squads. A squad is 10 infantry, 1 vehicle, or two sentinel walkers. Some larger vehicles may be a platoon on their own, or have an unusual number per squad. That includes the maintenance and supply for the units for up to six months of standard deployment as well.

So the consensus is: A regiment of troops. This could be 500 to 20,000. I decided upon 20,000 troop Strength as by BFK ground wars. Slightly modified as elaborated upon via my link below.

A barracks the size of crew quarters that can house 150k people.

I have it varying across ship sizes.

Grand Cruisers get 100k troops for example if you are talking about light infantry. But it depends on the regiments' specialization. 50k if its void-combat focused (as everyone needs voidsuits and the like) and about 5k vehicles if its an armored regiment for ground invasion.

And so these are scaled down depending on the sizes on the ship and on the average representancy of its space % the barracks component is taking. (I really think Space and Power requirements should vary for barracks)

Also, I grant 1 Devourer dropship per Barracks if the Ship's bridge is an Invasion one.

I was considering allowing each barracks component to house a number of troops whose Power x Unit Strength <= 10,000.

So a barracks could house a single Space Marine company of a hundred men (20 P x 500 US) all the way up to a full Division of 100,000 Feral Light Infantry (1 P x 10,000 US). The huge difference is explained by the support staff required, as well as the massive amounts of equipment more modern forces deploy.

I've ruled that a barracks can hold 10% of the crew capacity. Haven't had an issue with it so far.

A barracks the size of crew quarters that can house 150k people.

Well no because first of all we're talking about a frigate so it's crew population is only a little more than half that, and secondly the thing about Voidsmen's Quarters is that they're for proper voidsmen. The majority of "crew" on a starship are "ratings" which are essentially a combination of slave labor and cannon fodder as the situation requires. In my interpretation of the fluff only skilled labor and up get actual "quarters" and most of them are packed in worse than freshmen in the shittier dorms you've seen but that's still better than a Navy configuration where bunks without so much as privacy curtains just line hundred meter hallways stacked ten high and accessed via ladder.

I like the idea of 10%, it scales fast and quickly, though do you have some example numbers? IIRC, RAW is "A Regiment" which as others said varies.

One rule I have seen well is that the quality of the troops increases as the ship grows. Massive ships can have full armor, artillery and other support. While a small frigate or less does "light infantry" more

One rule I have seen well is that the quality of the troops increases as the ship grows. Massive ships can have full armor, artillery and other support. While a small frigate or less does "light infantry" more

I think that's the reason for the "One Regiment" rule.

An armoured regiment has a lot fewer bodies (and more of them support) than eg light infantry does, but take up about the same space, because of their bigger toys.

That's just a guess mind you.

A Imperial Navy ship can carry around a company on its own. With a barracks it can carry a full regiment. Now using Cadian Troops as a standard about 200 to a company, maybe 4 companies to a Division and 2 or 3 Divisions to a Regiment. This is what me and my brother are using. There is a series of books that have some numbers in it "Gaunts Ghosts" they have about 3000 men at full strength.

Regiments are smaller than a Division though

If you also read Gaunt's Ghosts (which I love), you will commonly find other "Regiments" have more men than Gaunt’s Regiment. Somewhere around 20,000 is the max I think. If it wasn't mentioned, you can't really go off the novels to much though. Not every Writer/Author conforms to FFG canon and/or fluff. Not that their truly is just one canon, IMO, but some it deviates so much it hurts the brain.

Edit: Font went black again. Annoying, to say the least.

Edited by Nameless2all

true the IG dose'nt have standard troop sizes really changes from unit to unit

I've ruled that a barracks can hold 10% of the crew capacity. Haven't had an issue with it so far.

I like it, but the issue comes with Transports. They normally have less crew than a frigate (or a Battleship for the Mass Conveyer), but have are about the same size.

I like it, but the issue comes with Transports. They normally have less crew than a frigate (or a Battleship for the Mass Conveyer), but have are about the same size.

I use the same rule as Tristonic, and it's true that this means ordinarily Transports hold far less, but their nature as a Transport means they also get to carry armour and other heavy equipment very easily.

If you also read Gaunt's Ghosts (which I love), you will commonly find other "Regiments" have more men than Gaunt’s Regiment. Somewhere around 20,000 is the max I think. If it wasn't mentioned, you can't really go off the novels to much though. Not every Writer/Author conforms to FFG canon and/or fluff. Not that their truly is just one canon, IMO, but some it deviates so much it hurts the brain.

Edit: Font went black again. Annoying, to say the least.

I also use the canon from GW products like the IG codex and Warhammer 40K rule book.

Regiments are smaller than a Division though

Yes you are Correct, I mean Battlion (Spelling?). I always get the 2 mixed up.

was just a thought though in the IG our hard and fast number systems and designations need not apply.