Slinnar Drift: Effects?

By Purgatus, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

Deathwatch makes this reference to the Slinnar Drift on 351 pg.

"The Slinnar Drift is also remarkable for the curious stability of local Warp-space conditions in the region

In The Outer Reaches 54 pg. there is a section called The Silent Road.

I am trying to come up with an environmental modifier to Psykers to reflect all the canon about the Drift and would like some advice.

The Devourer causes a -10 to Psyker Tests because of its interference, do, I imagine to the massive Telepathic load of Trillions of organisms.

But what hazard should there be for a becalmed Warp?

Edited by Purgatus

Personally, I'd go for a -10 or even -20 if you're feeling particularly nasty, but remove any chances of spectacular miscasting due to the denizens of the warp not being active in the area. My reading of it anyway, since the "emotional flow" is calmed, so Deamons wouldn't be drawn to the area.

Interesting, make it harder to tap but less chance of catastrophe.

Just springing off your idea, how about -10 for Unfettered , -20 for Push and

Any rolls of Psychc Phenomena or Perils of the Warp roll 1 - 50 not 1 - 100 ?

Maybe +10 to Psynscience, where Chart starts 1 lv higher, ie Standard success

equals results for 1 DoS.? What do you think?

Augury: There is no Test for Augury, should it be affected?

Edited by Purgatus

Sounds good to me. With regards to Augury, just make it less effective. Tell the Librarian that he struggles to understand the tiny whispers of the Warp or some such. If he persists, give him a level of fatigue to represent the difficulty. I used this in a mission fighting around Necron Pylons similar to those on Cadia. My Librarian player was becoming obsessed with augury, I threw in the pylons to make the rest of the team think on their feet more.

Anyone else? Any other constructions or alternatives to a becalmed Warp?

If you have the RT book Stars of Inequity it has stats for calmed systems. I don't have it with me, buy you can take a look in the random system generator, first section

Just purchased it, PDF. Excellent resource, thanks WilliamAsher.

Stars of Inequity, Chapter 1, System Creation, System Feature, Warp Stasis 12 pg.

"In systems that are fully becalmed, apply one or more of the following.

- Focus Power and Psyinscience Tests are -10

- Psychic Powers are not allowed to be Pushed

- When rolling Psychic Phem roll twice taking the lower effect

That is on top of the following

Astropaths take a -3 PR for purposes of sending messages.

All of which are great ideas.

Thanks again for the resource.

Interesting, nothing about the Tarot.

Edited by Purgatus

Well, if it is -3 to transmit, it might be -3 PR to receive, too. As that isn't as likely an issue (most Astropaths just seem to "DING! You've got mail." to me, rather than actively need to check and receive, whether to get the message, or just bounce it along, restrengthened), you might house-rule that they get the -3 PR for the Tarot, as "receiving" is also hampered.

Absolutely, seems to mirror nicely, thanks.